asking for LoRs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I recently asked my biochem professor from last semester to write me an LoR for the upcoming cycle, and she said sure, but besides that, I really didn't know what to say. We are on friendly terms, so I know I can follow up later. But I set up a meeting for next week with my Ochem professor in which I want to ask for a letter, but I don't know what to say. Because it is so early, do I just tell him thank you (if he says yes) and that I will send him more information later? I'm worried because he might not even remember me from our huge lecture, but I did well and did two honors projects.

And similarly I want to ask my journalism professor, but do I ask the same way if its non science? And would it be appropriate to ask my boss at the HIV test site I work at?

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what you should do according to sdn. Bring a folder that has 3 things.
1) AAMC guide to write medical school LORs here.
2) A copy of your CV
3) a copy of your personal statement if you have written one

If they say yes. Hand them this folder and tell them you will be in touch.

Alternatively, if it's someone who probably writes a lot of letters (Ochem prof/Biochem prof), just ask them what they need. Usually all they will want a cv and your transcript. I suggest telling them you will email them the material and them email them (this also reminds them that they have to write the letter). I prefer the email method anyway.

Make sure when you ask them for a letter, you ask them if they are comfortable writing a strong letter of recommendation for medical school in those words. If they seem hesitant, just don't follow up: It's not worth getting a letter that may be pretty bad just for the sake of having a letter.

Edit: yeah you can ask your HIV testing centre boss if you put in a lot of hours and think that he/she would write a strong letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Having a folder with all the info in it is very helpful and I was lauded for it.

Secondly, you may get a hesitant response from a professor who as never written a lor for medical school before (eg journalism or non science prof). That doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t write you a positive one or can’t write a good letter, they may just feel unqualified because “they’re not physicians or scientists”. However, Once they read the AAMC guidelines they will be reassured and, if they follow them, will write a tremendous letter.
TLDR; sus out non science writers hesitation a lil

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what you should do according to sdn. Bring a folder that has 3 things.
1) AAMC guide to write medical school LORs here.
2) A copy of your CV
3) a copy of your personal statement if you have written one

If they say yes. Hand them this folder and tell them you will be in touch.

Alternatively, if it's someone who probably writes a lot of letters (Ochem prof/Biochem prof), just ask them what they need. Usually all they will want a cv and your transcript. I suggest telling them you will email them the material and them email them (this also reminds them that they have to write the letter). I prefer the email method anyway.

Make sure when you ask them for a letter, you ask them if they are comfortable writing a strong letter of recommendation for medical school in those words. If they seem hesitant, just don't follow up: It's not worth getting a letter that may be pretty bad just for the sake of having a letter.

Edit: yeah you can ask your HIV testing centre boss if you put in a lot of hours and think that he/she would write a strong letter.
since the application doesn’t open for a while, do I follow up when the time is near?

since the application doesn’t open for a while, do I follow up when the time is near?

I would follow up every 2ish weeks. Maybe it would be a good idea to start following up a little later if your school doesn't have a letter service. But don't put it off too long. It's better to have your professors have them written and just waiting to send it in rather than waiting your professor to write it.