Assessing if I should apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braindoc2035

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) hoping to get some advice!!

Here’s my profile:
Currently a management consultant at an MBB (top 3 firm)
My overall college GPA was low— 3.4 with stark upward trend (senior year was 3.9)
MCAT score 518
Had 2 funded research internships in a top hospital prior to MBB
Have volunteering and shadowing hours (100+ each)
Have a passion for medicine because I want to help people and love to learn; hoping to open a free clinic one day
———
While I really want to go to med school, I am scared my gpa might bar me from getting in. As I have really long hours at my current job, I’m trying to make sure i level set my expectations going into this application process— cause I’m scared of coming out of this burned out and disappointed
———
Do I have a chance for MD?
if yes, anyone have school suggestions? im cool with most locations

Appreciate any and all input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s your science GPA? I had a similar GPA and MCAT and gotten several MD acceptances this cycle. That being said, I had some unique experiences etc that I put into my app

Also I get what you mean but be careful when saying “You love to help people” as a reason for going into medicine…. Med school adcoms will eat you up saying you can do that in a variety of other professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I get what you mean but be careful when saying “You love to help people” as a reason for going into medicine…. Med school adcoms will eat you up saying you can do that in a variety of other professions.
Thanks for the tip!! :) congrats on the acceptances!!!! and my science GPA is a 3.5

You have a decent shot for MD based on your GPAs/MCAT, though you should apply broadly. Consider adding DO schools in locations you like and whose missions you fit.

Your work experience is good but your volunteering could probably use a boost. Was your volunteering clinical or nonclinical in nature?

To get a suitable school list, I recommend posting a request in the What Are My Chances forum using their stickied template.

I would apply to all your state schools, and other schools in neighboring states that align w your mission IMO.
Thanks for the tip!! :) congrats on the acceptances!!!! and my science GPA is a 3.5
yeah with your MCAT you should have a more then decent chance at MD acceptances. I found that there’s a lot of weight in how you convey your experiences (relating on what you’ve done—-what you learned—-and how it will or did give you qualities that will make you a good physician)
Good luck!

I think you have a shot worth applying to your state and nearby MD/DO schools that aren't crazy competitive. You also might want to bolster up some more volunteering experience.

You may also want to consider a SMP. Your GPA is going to be your main barrier, both overall and sGPA. SMPs are great for addressing that.

Hi everyone :) hoping to get some advice!!

Here’s my profile:
Currently a management consultant at an MBB (top 3 firm)
My overall college GPA was low— 3.4 with stark upward trend (senior year was 3.9)
MCAT score 518
Had 2 funded research internships in a top hospital prior to MBB
Have volunteering and shadowing hours (100+ each)
Have a passion for medicine because I want to help people and love to learn; hoping to open a free clinic one day
———
While I really want to go to med school, I am scared my gpa might bar me from getting in. As I have really long hours at my current job, I’m trying to make sure i level set my expectations going into this application process— cause I’m scared of coming out of this burned out and disappointed
———
Do I have a chance for MD?
if yes, anyone have school suggestions? im cool with most locations

Appreciate any and all input!!
What are your year by year GPAs? Upward trends are always good.

You're fine right now for any DO school. For MD, a single good SR year isn't enough data points to show reinvention.