Atenolol shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maria1oh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea when atenolol will be available again? Originally I read mid August but now it seems uncertain and heard end of October from another source.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pharmacy had to make calls to pharmacies located within the country and have them fedex some of their supply to us. We had a stock of around 3000 pills which didn't even last a week...

My company sent out a 'guidance' document about converting to other beta blockers. What else can you do? If it's not available it's not available.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a clinical reason why the patient could not be switched to Toprol XL?
Not to my knowledge.

I'm also going to be a bit judgey on physicians who use atenolol for anything other than migraines as the data for BP and CHF aren't very good for atenolol compared with Toprol (or coreg or bisoprolol) - but I suspect you already knew that.

Reactions: 3 users
Many patients in retail have fought being switched. The cost of generic metoprolol succ er is several times higher than atenolol. Then you hear "I have been on this drug for over 20 years" story. The copay for 1 patient on atenolol was less than a dollar but on metoprolol succ er it was $20.
If you are out of atenolol 100mg is it ok to offer atenolol 50mg 2qd without contacting the doctor. Obviously try to contact MD but if not available then ok to switch with patients consent? Then there is the switch from 25mg to 1/2 tab of 50 mg switch would I would not try without MD consent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
only Mylan brand is on back-order, CVS uses TEVA brand, so they have no problem to get it ...

Yeah, the other thing a bit unique to atenolol is metabolism & not having as much BBB distribution vs. Bisoprolol or Metoprolol (minor details). Not a strong 1st line for migraine PPx either vs timolol or propranolol. Always been a bit skeptical as some have argued atenolol should be BID dosed

What little TEVA we have received has been exhausted quite fast

Last edited:
If you are out of atenolol 100mg is it ok to offer atenolol 50mg 2qd without contacting the doctor. Obviously try to contact MD but if not available then ok to switch with patients consent? Then there is the switch from 25mg to 1/2 tab of 50 mg switch would I would not try without MD consent.

I think it depends on your state, if it's legal or not. But let's face it, any atenolol is going to be better than none, it's not like it grows on trees.

Last I heard was atenolol was to be available in of August, but who knows? We are switching everyone to metoprolol.

Is Teva exclusive to CVS? Cause we can't get any NDC right now.
I have been transferred a few atenolol Rxs to a CVS which just a few blocks away from me, that's what they told me...