Atlantic Bridge 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we haven't received an email, have we been rejected?
Not sure if that means you're rejected, might just be that you're essentially waitlisted. eg. UCC sent out acceptances a few weeks ago but I didn't hear anything from them. When I called ABP, they told me that it means that I didn't make first round of acceptances and that it was possible to receive an acceptance once people decide to accept or reject their offers. Could be the same deal with UL. No news is good news.

Members don't see this ad.

How long does the application process take because i submitted my application few days ago ?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does the application process take because i submitted my application few days ago ?

In the past, the applications didn't open until late summer and were due in mid-fall of the same year. So for the 2018 spots, the new application would come out this summer.

In the past, the applications didn't open until late summer and were due in mid-fall of the same year. So for the 2018 spots, the new application would come out this summer.
Are you in med school?

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and its been really helpful. I'll be joining the UCC GEM program in September and I had a few questions.

Once we've been accepted and sent in our medical reports what else is left to do? Has anyone received any information regarding accommodation? Do we need to have student visas?

Thank you in advance!

Also, congratulations to everyone else that's heard back from the schools and good luck to those who are still awaiting! :)

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and its been really helpful. I'll be joining the UCC GEM program in September and I had a few questions.

Once we've been accepted and sent in our medical reports what else is left to do? Has anyone received any information regarding accommodation? Do we need to have student visas?

Thank you in advance!

Also, congratulations to everyone else that's heard back from the schools and good luck to those who are still awaiting! :)
Did you apply after high school ?

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Hey! Congratulations.
I was just browsing the ABP website and I read that if you have a Canadian or US passport then you don't need a visa. As for the accommodation i think you need to dig more in your school's website. I did that for UL and found everything online. Here's the ABP link for things to do before and after arrival.
Moving to Ireland – Atlantic Bridge

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Congratulations.
I was just browsing the ABP website and I read that if you have a Canadian or US passport then you don't need a visa. As for the accommodation i think you need to dig more in your school's website. I did that for UL and found everything online. Here's the ABP link for things to do before and after arrival.
Moving to Ireland – Atlantic Bridge

Thank you so much!

Does anyone know when the second round starts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the second round starts?
Atlantic Bridge told me that first round offers are typically made in late-March to early-April. So I would think that second round would start sometime after that. I have in interview in Toronto in early May for RCSI-MUB and I think that's still first round so I'm thinking second round must be starting late May/June (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have read that offers can be made up until September and your application is still being "considered" or "on reserve" until you receive an (e-mail) rejection from the university.
To summarize it appears UCC (GEM), UCD (GEM), NUI Galway (5 year), RCSI (GEM), UL (GEM) have all sent out first round offers. RCSI-MUB (5 year) is still interviewing and I haven't seen anything indicating anyone has heard from Trinity (5 year). I'm not sure about the other programs I didn't mention.
One other thing that might be useful to know is that it has been floating around the discussion boards that all of the Universities coordinate interviews/offers and that if you accept an interview/offer from a school, the other schools will know, and that may affect your chances of receiving an interview/offer from another school. I brought this up with Atlantic Bridge and was assured this is NOT the case. All of our offers for interview and acceptance are confidential and should not affect our chances with another institution.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
@kdder You don't need a visa to enter the country if you're US or Canadian citizen.

When you get here though, you'll get a temporary stamp in your passport, and unless you have an EU passport / dual citizenship, you will have to get a GNIB (aka "Garda card") every year. It's (currently) 300 euro per year.

UL set our first appointment up with the Garda in our first year within the first month of us getting here, but then you have to do it on your own every subsequent year.

It'll all be explained when you get here though :) For now, just make sure your passport is valid ;)

Just wanted to give a huge shout-out to @sassa and say thank you for all your help and support. Ever since I joined this forum and your replies and comments have been nothing but a bliss! You definitely helped clear up many of my doubts about the whole idea of studying medicine in Ireland and I'm confident that you're gonna be a wonderful doctor :) Thank you a million

Atlantic Bridge told me that first round offers are typically made in late-March to early-April. So I would think that second round would start sometime after that. I have in interview in Toronto in early May for RCSI-MUB and I think that's still first round so I'm thinking second round must be starting late May/June (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have read that offers can be made up until September and your application is still being "considered" or "on reserve" until you receive an (e-mail) rejection from the university.
To summarize it appears UCC, UCD, NUI Galway, RCSI, UL have all sent out first round offers. RCSI-MUB is still interviewing and I haven't seen anything indicating anyone has heard from Trinity.
One other thing that might be useful to know is that it has been floating around the discussion boards that all of the Universities coordinate interviews/offers and that if you accept an interview/offer from a school, the other schools will know, and that may affect your chances of receiving an interview/offer from another school. I brought this up with Atlantic Bridge and was assured this is NOT the case. All of our offers for interview and acceptance are confidential and should not affect our chances with another institution.
Best of luck!

When I called Atlantic Bridge a week and a half ago, they said that UCD had released first-round offers for the GEM program but not for the undergraduate program, and that they were hoping for those to be released in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if this is true?

When I called Atlantic Bridge a week and a half ago, they said that UCD had released first-round offers for the GEM program but not for the undergraduate program, and that they were hoping for those to be released in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if this is true?
Oh sorry! Yes I was just referring to the GEM program at UCD :) I don't know about undergrad.

Just wanted to give a huge shout-out to @sassa and say thank you for all your help and support. Ever since I joined this forum and your replies and comments have been nothing but a bliss! You definitely helped clear up many of my doubts about the whole idea of studying medicine in Ireland and I'm confident that you're gonna be a wonderful doctor :) Thank you a million

Thank you :) That's incredibly sweet.

I'll likely disappear once I hit residency soon, but I'm hoping the some other UL students or IMGs in Ireland come here to answer stuff. And if not, well, at least I gave it a good shot for the 4 years and hopefully things are still found to be helpful in the future! Or at least as a place for people to start.

Reactions: 3 users
@kdder You don't need a visa to enter the country if you're US or Canadian citizen.

When you get here though, you'll get a temporary stamp in your passport, and unless you have an EU passport / dual citizenship, you will have to get a GNIB (aka "Garda card") every year. It's (currently) 300 euro per year.

UL set our first appointment up with the Garda in our first year within the first month of us getting here, but then you have to do it on your own every subsequent year.

It'll all be explained when you get here though :) For now, just make sure your passport is valid ;)

Thank you for clearing that all up!

To summarize it appears UCC (GEM), UCD (GEM), NUI Galway (5 year), RCSI (GEM), UL (GEM) have all sent out first round offers. RCSI-MUB (5 year) is still interviewing and I haven't seen anything indicating anyone has heard from Trinity (5 year). I'm not sure about the other programs I didn't mention.
Best of luck!
Thanks for all the info. I submitted my application few days ago, Now waiting for the response.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I submitted my application few days ago, Now waiting for the response.
I thought AB stopped accepting new applications in December?

I thought AB stopped accepting new applications in December?
I thought you could apply after the November 15th deadline, the only catch was the application fee went up from $75 to $100 USD per school and that offers would be sent out to other applicants while they waited for your "complete application." On the FAQ document that Atlantic Bridge sends out with the application instructions it says "Application files that are not complete by April 1, 2017 will be withdrawn, with the exception of those awaiting late (March or April) MCAT scores or AP/IB results..." Maybe I interpreted this incorrectly, but I thought the deadline was April 1st?

I thought you could apply after the November 15th deadline, the only catch was the application fee went up from $75 to $100 USD per school and that offers would be sent out to other applicants while they waited for your "complete application." On the FAQ document that Atlantic Bridge sends out with the application instructions it says "Application files that are not complete by April 1, 2017 will be withdrawn, with the exception of those awaiting late (March or April) MCAT scores or AP/IB results..." Maybe I interpreted this incorrectly, but I thought the deadline was April 1st?
Well those are somewhat confusing instructions lol

Yes May 7th as well
Congrats! Good luck with your interview!

I've been doing some reasearch about RCSI-MUB and come across some controversial articles. I'm wondering if you have also done some reasearch about the school and have any insight into this? Just want us all to be making a fully informed decision.

This article published by the Irish Medical Times, Oct 6, 2015 states, "A human rights NGO run by Irish lawyers has submitted to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHCR) that Ireland may be in breach of international law, owing to the Irish Medical Council’s (IMC) decision last December to grant RCSI-Medical University in Bahrain (RCSI-MUB) accreditation. This came amid alleged human rights abuses, including the torture of injured pro-demonstrators and medics who treated them, by the Gulf state’s ruling regime within the training hospitals it uses..."
Available from: RCSI-Bahrain accreditation raised with the UNHCR

This one published by the BBC, May 30, 2013 gives a nice synopsis of what occurred during and leading up to the 2011 protests.
Available from: Irish medical campus in Bahrain challenged - BBC News

This article also published in the Irish Medical Times, Feb 18, 2016 brings up some concerneing points about the IMC report on the Accreditation Inspection of RCSI-MUB which took place in Oct, 2014 "...The report deems the clinical facilities to be acceptable, not by a rigorous assessment of the hospitals, interviewing past pupils, patients and independent reports, but instead by relying on the ability of current students to speak out and exercise their freedom of speech, which has hitherto been so assiduously denied them...There is then the time given to the IMC visit — two working days to visit and interview personnel at the RCSI-Bahrain Medical School, the King Hamad University Hospital, and the Bahrain Defence Forces Hospital, and to assess the clinical facilities..."
Available from: Freedoms at the heart of medical education

I think living overseas immersed in a different culture would be an amazing experience, but this controversy is concerning. If anyone has thoughts, insights, further knowledge surrounding the current situation it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you get loans in the US for pursuing the GEM course in Bahrain?.
I believe RCSI-MUB only has a 6-year and a 5-year program. I'm from Canada though so don't have any insight regarding funding for US students. If accepted to Medical School I'll just rely on savings and a line of credit ;)

I thought AB stopped accepting new applications in December?[/QUO
Well the application AB send me, says that April 17th is deadline to submit my application

Last edited:

April 17 it is then, however all schools have released first round offers so anyone submitting now will be entering a contest with highly diminished possibility. Especially since they'll probably select from the waitlisted apps from the first round offers first (as indicated on last years thread by the very large movement from waitlisted first round apps during the second round)

April 17 it is then, however all schools have released first round offers so anyone submitting now will be entering a contest with highly diminished possibility. Especially since they'll probably select from the waitlisted apps from the first round offers first (as indicated on last years thread by the very large movement from waitlisted first round apps during the second round)

AB's email to several of us disagrees with you. Several undergrad programs are still making first round decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

AB's email to several of us disagrees with you. Several undergrad programs are still making first round decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Also their admission is open till Sep, once they complete all the available seats

Thanks for clarifying! Maybe they changed the deadline from what they sent me in August? Or maybe the graduate and undergrad deadlines are different? Good luck with your application:)

Anyone from US who got accepted to the 6 year program at RCSI starting in Sept 2017 ?

Anyone from CANADA who got accepted to the 6 year program at RCSI starting in Sept 2017 ?

Congrats! Good luck with your interview!

I've been doing some reasearch about RCSI-MUB and come across some controversial articles. I'm wondering if you have also done some reasearch about the school and have any insight into this? Just want us all to be making a fully informed decision.

This article published by the Irish Medical Times, Oct 6, 2015 states, "A human rights NGO run by Irish lawyers has submitted to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHCR) that Ireland may be in breach of international law, owing to the Irish Medical Council’s (IMC) decision last December to grant RCSI-Medical University in Bahrain (RCSI-MUB) accreditation. This came amid alleged human rights abuses, including the torture of injured pro-demonstrators and medics who treated them, by the Gulf state’s ruling regime within the training hospitals it uses..."
Available from: RCSI-Bahrain accreditation raised with the UNHCR

This one published by the BBC, May 30, 2013 gives a nice synopsis of what occurred during and leading up to the 2011 protests.
Available from: Irish medical campus in Bahrain challenged - BBC News

This article also published in the Irish Medical Times, Feb 18, 2016 brings up some concerneing points about the IMC report on the Accreditation Inspection of RCSI-MUB which took place in Oct, 2014 "...The report deems the clinical facilities to be acceptable, not by a rigorous assessment of the hospitals, interviewing past pupils, patients and independent reports, but instead by relying on the ability of current students to speak out and exercise their freedom of speech, which has hitherto been so assiduously denied them...There is then the time given to the IMC visit — two working days to visit and interview personnel at the RCSI-Bahrain Medical School, the King Hamad University Hospital, and the Bahrain Defence Forces Hospital, and to assess the clinical facilities..."
Available from: Freedoms at the heart of medical education

I think living overseas immersed in a different culture would be an amazing experience, but the controversy regarding allegations that the MCI may have ignored human rights and other abuses during the accreditation process which could be looked at as a violation of medical neutrality is concerning.

If anyone has thoughts, insights, further knowledge surrounding the current situation it would be much appreciated.

Hey guys!

Im actually an American from New York City, and currently a student at RCSI-MUB. Im happy to answer any questions you all may have, and there are a bunch of us international students (They are primarily Canadian though) who would love to give you our take the school and the enrolment process. So feel free to ask away and PM me slash us (I can reach out to which ever of my peers might be most appropriate to answer specific questions about our community).

As for the question about accreditation and the events that occurred during the Arab Spring, I can confirm that RCSI-MUB has full Irish accreditation as a medical school and that the governing bodies of our university grant medical degrees both from RCSI-MUB as well as from NUI (we are granted full Irish degrees as well).

So yea, here to answer anything and help out in whatever way possible! One of my biggest gripes with ABP is the lack of information dissemination and facilitation of communications between prospective applicants and current students, so im taking it on myself to address that issue haha

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys!

Im actually an American from New York City, and currently a student at RCSI-MUB. Im happy to answer any questions you all may have, and there are a bunch of us international students (They are primarily Canadian though) who would love to give you our take the school and the enrolment process. So feel free to ask away and PM me slash us (I can reach out to which ever of my peers might be most appropriate to answer specific questions about our community).

As for the question about accreditation and the events that occurred during the Arab Spring, I can confirm that RCSI-MUB has full Irish accreditation as a medical school and that the governing bodies of our university grant medical degrees both from RCSI-MUB as well as from NUI (we are granted full Irish degrees as well).

So yea, here to answer anything and help out in whatever way possible! One of my biggest gripes with ABP is the lack of information dissemination and facilitation of communications between prospective applicants and current students, so im taking it on myself to address that issue haha
Thanks for your response! I guess my most burning questions are:
One, what are the match statistics back to Canada (what sort of residencies have students procured, how is RCSI-MUB perceived in Canada)?
Two, are there concerns regarding RCSI-MUB maintaining their accreditation (is there an expiry date on the current accredition they have)?
Three, how does the fact a human rights NGO has submitted to the UNHCR that Ireland may potentially being in violation of international law by granting accreditation to RCSI-MUB affect the school both the short and long term?
Four, anything else you think is important to know about the school, what is the environment like, are you happy with the quality of education etc?
It's been extermination difficult to find up to date information, so any further insight you can provide is very much appreciated!

Does anyone know when the GARDA/criminal record checks need to be done? I think they need to be completed before we go and we bring them with us, but any clarification would be helpful. Also, for the criminal record check is it just a basic check or do we need to look into specifics?

Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know when the GARDA/criminal record checks need to be done? I think they need to be completed before we go and we bring them with us, but any clarification would be helpful. Also, for the criminal record check is it just a basic check or do we need to look into specifics?

Thank you in advance.

Gardai checks have to be done / finished here. There might be paper work in the application, but mostly done here.

Police checks at home have to include vulnerable sector.

Thanks for your response! I guess my most burning questions are:
One, what are the match statistics back to Canada (what sort of residencies have students procured, how is RCSI-MUB perceived in Canada)?
Two, are there concerns regarding RCSI-MUB maintaining their accreditation (is there an expiry date on the current accredition they have)?
Three, how does the fact a human rights NGO has submitted to the UNHCR that Ireland may potentially being in violation of international law by granting accreditation to RCSI-MUB affect the school both the short and long term?
Four, anything else you think is important to know about the school, what is the environment like, are you happy with the quality of education etc?
It's been extermination difficult to find up to date information, so any further insight you can provide is very much appreciated!

So for the match rate back to Canada, the school does not really have solid published statistics because most of the match process at RCSI-MUB is done by the individual will minimal institutional involvement. An example of this is that RCSI Dublin students must pass the in school prelim exams to quality to register to sit for the USMLE and then the school keeps track of their progression and sees who matches and who does not. At RCSI Bahrain we dont have the same limitations (since much of the student body intends to work in the gulf and dont sit the USMLE) and students take the USMLE on their own accord and dont necessarily need to inform the university of how they did or where they are applying to match to. RCSI Bahrain does match graduates into great residency programs, such as EM at U of T, Orthopaedic surgery at McMaster, and Paediatrics in Miami just to name a few recent graduates off the top of my head.

As for accreditation to the best of my knowledge the university will not need to renew its accreditation in the near future, as they recently had it renewed. You can definitely reach out to the administration and get the exact info surrounding accreditation to confirm and set your mind at ease.

I think its important that anyone who is considering coming to RCSI Bahrain recognises that there is a significant culture shock and subsequent adjustment that you as a westerner will need to handle when you arrive. Im lucky in that i had extensive experience in international work prior to enrolling, and that helped me set up my new life living here in Bahrain. I could not have imagined being this happy back when I was debating leaving NYC, but I have come to love living here and find the change in setting perfect for growth in so many more ways than I knew was possible. But this isnt for everybody, and it is not uncommon for expats to decide after moving out here that they dont want this and that they cant handle living in Bahrain for five years. It really comes down to mindset, you need to be willing to set up a new life here. Sure you can go home and visit family and friends on breaks, but in my opinion its the people who do not commit to calling Bahrain home and whose hearts are still back in north america that end up incredibly unhappy and end up leaving.

There is also a vibrant international student community at RCSI Bahrain (roughly 100 of us) and we all kinda have each others backs and form our own circles. Additionally the US, UK and Australian militaries all have major bases here so there is a constant presence of expats when you go out to bars, clubs and restaurants. Basically anything you can ever want or need you can find here in Bahrain, its just a matter of knowing where to find it.

As for the academics im happy about them most of the time, but also have some complaints. As is typical with most schools.

Idk what it's like in Canada, but I plan on being foced to dive very very deep into the US Federal Debt rabit hole. Talkin like 300k at least.
I am right there with you. It gave me a bit of an anxiety attack...but oh well!

So for the match rate back to Canada, the school does not really have solid published statistics because most of the match process at RCSI-MUB is done by the individual will minimal institutional involvement. An example of this is that RCSI Dublin students must pass the in school prelim exams to quality to register to sit for the USMLE and then the school keeps track of their progression and sees who matches and who does not. At RCSI Bahrain we dont have the same limitations (since much of the student body intends to work in the gulf and dont sit the USMLE) and students take the USMLE on their own accord and dont necessarily need to inform the university of how they did or where they are applying to match to. RCSI Bahrain does match graduates into great residency programs, such as EM at U of T, Orthopaedic surgery at McMaster, and Paediatrics in Miami just to name a few recent graduates off the top of my head.

As for accreditation to the best of my knowledge the university will not need to renew its accreditation in the near future, as they recently had it renewed. You can definitely reach out to the administration and get the exact info surrounding accreditation to confirm and set your mind at ease.

I think its important that anyone who is considering coming to RCSI Bahrain recognises that there is a significant culture shock and subsequent adjustment that you as a westerner will need to handle when you arrive. Im lucky in that i had extensive experience in international work prior to enrolling, and that helped me set up my new life living here in Bahrain. I could not have imagined being this happy back when I was debating leaving NYC, but I have come to love living here and find the change in setting perfect for growth in so many more ways than I knew was possible. But this isnt for everybody, and it is not uncommon for expats to decide after moving out here that they dont want this and that they cant handle living in Bahrain for five years. It really comes down to mindset, you need to be willing to set up a new life here. Sure you can go home and visit family and friends on breaks, but in my opinion its the people who do not commit to calling Bahrain home and whose hearts are still back in north america that end up incredibly unhappy and end up leaving.

There is also a vibrant international student community at RCSI Bahrain (roughly 100 of us) and we all kinda have each others backs and form our own circles. Additionally the US, UK and Australian militaries all have major bases here so there is a constant presence of expats when you go out to bars, clubs and restaurants. Basically anything you can ever want or need you can find here in Bahrain, its just a matter of knowing where to find it.

As for the academics im happy about them most of the time, but also have some complaints. As is typical with most schools.
Thank you very much for your information and insight! It's been extremely helpful :)

Hello everyone,
So has anyone heard back from TCD 5 year program?
(I'm so lazy to read the whole forum, at the moment)

Hello everyone,
So has anyone heard back from TCD 5 year program?
(I'm so lazy to read the whole forum, at the moment)
I haven't read anything indicating anyone has heard back yet. Looks like the waiting continues...

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has submitted their medical report and immunization form back to Atlantic Bridge once accepting their offer?

For UCC students, do you know what the COA number is (it asks for this or your UCC number if you were a previous student). Since I'm not a previous UCC student I'm not to sure if I should enter in the number that was provided for me now as my student number, or if there is something else that we have (the COA number). Also for UCC students, we are suppose to pay a fee for future immunization checks, do you know if we send this along with our reports to Atlantic Bridge or if these are given during orientation in UCC?

The letter itself seems very vague so any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Anyone from US who got accepted to the 6 year program at RCSI starting in Sept 2017 ?
Hi! I'm actually a student at RCSI from the US doing the first year of the 6 year program right now. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have!