Atlantic Bridge 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p_medschool

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just thought I would start a thread for everyone applying through Atlantic Bridge for 2022 admission. We can share stats, ask questions etc. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I got in during the 2021 cycle, decided on RCSI. Feel free to private message me w any questions, any time throughout the cycle.

Hey, just thought I would start a thread for everyone applying through Atlantic Bridge for 2022 admission. We can share stats, ask questions etc. Good luck everyone!
Which schools are you applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
nvm, they locked my post and I can't delete it... nice.
anyway, look forward to hearing more about ya'll

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to write the personal statement and CV. Should the personal statement include a narrative (like story-telling) or should it be concise and straight to the point? Any insight will be appreciated, thank you!

Hi everyone, I applied to AB last cycle and ended up getting the R. This thread will inevitably include discussions of other international options for North Americans in a similar situation, and I wanted to let you know about the school I ended up being accepted to in the UK. Unlike other UK med schools, it’s only 4.5 years, has no cap on the amount of international students, and does not require the UCAT. Start date is Jan 2023, so it’s a good option for those who end up getting the R late in this cycle for NA/Irish schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a specific format (ex. specific headings) we should follow for the CV or if there is a page limitation? Also, since applications are rolling, to people aim to submit before November to be competitive? Thanks!

Hey! I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a specific format (ex. specific headings) we should follow for the CV or if there is a page limitation? Also, since applications are rolling, to people aim to submit before November to be competitive? Thanks!
I believe you keep your CV under two pages and as long as you submit everything by January 1st you will part of the first cycle of reviews

Hi everyone, I applied to AB last cycle and ended up getting the R. This thread will inevitably include discussions of other international options for North Americans in a similar situation, and I wanted to let you know about the school I ended up being accepted to in the UK. Unlike other UK med schools, it’s only 4.5 years, has no cap on the amount of international students, and does not require the UCAT. Start date is Jan 2023, so it’s a good option for those who end up getting the R late in this cycle for NA/Irish schools.

hey, can I message you about this? :)

Which schools are you applying to?
Oh jeez sorry I didn't get an email that you replied to me lol!! So I am applying to Cork, Limerick, RCSI, and Trinity (the first 3 are 4-year programs, and the last a 5-year)

Any RCSI GEM students or alumni who plan to/have matched in an American residency program willing to answer some questions for a prospective applicant?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Does anyone know if there are course-specific requirements for GEM (4 year schools)? If someone is willing to assess my chances, that would also be appreciated <3:

GPA: 3.8 (cGPA)
MCAT: 501
EC: finishing up MSc, on board of directors at local non-profit, TA (teaching assistant), conference presentations, minor publications, conference awards, research scholarships, Alzheimer's Society day program volunteer, lab assistant, various gigs as a project/fundraising coordinator and voice acting.

Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Hey ! I was wondering what my chances would be at the 4 year programs in Ireland? I have an acceptance from SGU but I'm not sure if i should apply to ireland instead?

GPA: 3.3 cgpa , 4.0 post grad
MCAT: 497
EC: Research experience(500 hours) with 1 publication , currently working as a registered nurse on a general surgery floor, have approximately 700 hours in clinical rotations of nursing , 40 OR hours ( I observed surgeries and shadowed doctors during surgeries) , 50 hours of family physician shadowing , and other non-medicine related extracurriculars

Hey ! I was wondering what my chances would be at the 4 year programs in Ireland? I have an acceptance from SGU but I'm not sure if i should apply to ireland instead?

GPA: 3.3 cgpa , 4.0 post grad
MCAT: 497
EC: Research experience(500 hours) with 1 publication , currently working as a registered nurse on a general surgery floor, have approximately 700 hours in clinical rotations of nursing , 40 OR hours ( I observed surgeries and shadowed doctors during surgeries) , 50 hours of family physician shadowing , and other non-medicine related extracurriculars
I had similar stats and did not get in to the GEM programs. You really never know until you apply, though.

Hola! :p Third year med student in Ireland here. Send me any questions about universities you wish to know about, living, or even stats (im probably outdated by now) Best of luck!

Hello Everyone!
Little late to the thread but curious what my chances look like. I am Canadian but in my 2nd year of undergrad in the U.S, so applying for the 5 year programs. My GPA is a 3.50 which I know is not competitive, but should go up after this semester as I currently have A's in my classes. I have a lot of volunteering and 2 years of clinical hours. My main concern is they request high school transcripts and to be very honest, I did not put my best effort in high school so that has me worried. Thanks for any advice/insight

Hello Everyone!
Little late to the thread but curious what my chances look like. I am Canadian but in my 2nd year of undergrad in the U.S, so applying for the 5 year programs. My GPA is a 3.50 which I know is not competitive, but should go up after this semester as I currently have A's in my classes. I have a lot of volunteering and 2 years of clinical hours. My main concern is they request high school transcripts and to be very honest, I did not put my best effort in high school so that has me worried. Thanks for any advice/insight
I don’t know about the 5 year programs, but I applied to the 4 year last year and none asked for my hs transcripts. You could just wait and apply for those.

Hi everyone, I was wondering what my chances are for an offer with a 3.2 cGPA and a 503 MCAT for either the 4 or 5 year programs in Ireland! Has anyone gotten an offer with similar stats? I believe I have strong reference letters. 1 from Science Faculty and 1 from a volunteer supervisor. I can also obtain a 3rd letter from a physician if this would help my application. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone, I was wondering what my chances are for an offer with a 3.2 cGPA and a 503 MCAT for either the 4 or 5 year programs in Ireland! Has anyone gotten an offer with similar stats? I believe I have strong reference letters. 1 from Science Faculty and 1 from a volunteer supervisor. I can also obtain a 3rd letter from a physician if this would help my application. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
You really never know until you apply. Just go for it!

You really never know until you apply. Just go for it!
It’s just that I have an offer from a 6 year program in Australia and I can’t decide on whether I should wait for Ireland or accept the offer. So if anyone can attest to receiving an offer with similar stats, it may be worth it to wait but if I barely stand a chance, then maybe I should take up the 6 year program and get started with it already! I did also apply to the Buckingham program as well.

It’s just that I have an offer from a 6 year program in Australia and I can’t decide on whether I should wait for Ireland or accept the offer. So if anyone can attest to receiving an offer with similar stats, it may be worth it to wait but if I barely stand a chance, then maybe I should take up the 6 year program and get started with it already! I did also apply to the Buckingham program as well.
I will say that COVID has made med school exponentially more competitive. If you have a spot, I don’t think I personally would be willing to risk it if I were in your shoes. But I am not in your shoes and don’t know your situation. Here are just a few of the countless articles on it- these are from the US, but the same is happening in other countries. Last cycle Atlantic Bridge also said they’d had a ton, and the school I ultimately got into also said they’d had an unprecedented amount of applications.

If you were to be accepted into a 5 year program while applying in the middle of an undergraduate degree, would this acceptance be a conditional or unconditional acceptance? i.e. would you have to submit proof of a certain GPA or certain courses taken?
Yes, conditional offer

How about that email we got, instructing us to choose our two top schools due to overwhelming applications :unsure:

Haven’t received one. Was this for the 5/6 year or the 4 year programs?
they didnt specify...the email just said "applications for 2022 entry". maybe it only went to people that applied to every school? not sure

Hello, for those applying this year. do you guys know if there is an official submit button we need to press after uploading our documents to the AB portal? bc, I cant seem to find one, or does uploading them mean it's already submitted? Thanks in advance!

Hello, for those applying this year. do you guys know if there is an official submit button we need to press after uploading our documents to the AB portal? bc, I cant seem to find one, or does uploading them mean it's already submitted? Thanks in advance!
I don't think there is an official button, but couldn't hurt to confirm with your admissions officer. I just sent her an email.

Do you guys know if we will be considered for first round of interviews/acceptances for GEM if we submitted today? I just completed all components of my application.

Do you guys know if we will be considered for first round of interviews/acceptances for GEM if we submitted today? I just completed all components of my application.
I think so. According to past threads, if you submit it before mid-January, you're still in the first round of applications. So you should be good hopefully!

No I haven’t heard anything. From the confirmation email it says march/april for non-eu applicants.

Hola! :p Third year med student in Ireland here. Send me any questions about universities you wish to know about, living, or even stats (im probably outdated by now) Best of luck!
I just sent you a msg!

Hi, everyone!

I have a question that I am hoping someone may have some guidance on. I was curious to know if it is possible to defer for a year if accepted into a program via Atlantic Bridge. I am primarily considering financial circumstances and have been considering this route if possible to help save for living expenses if accepted. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know when the deadline for first round offers is? I keep being told that it’s mid-January, but I’m not sure…. Has anyone heard back from UCD ?

Does anyone know if the University of Limerick (or any of the other Irish schools) accepts lower MCAT scores for the GEM program? Also, can the schools give you a conditional offer before you have submitted your MCAT score? (I'm taking the MCAT in April)

Last edited:
has anyone received an email/portal link directly from UCD acknowledging their application for GEM? a colleague of mine received one early january (application complete/submitted late oct), I am yet to receive anything (application completed/submitted early nov).

has anyone received an email/portal link directly from UCD acknowledging their application for GEM? a colleague of mine received one early january (application complete/submitted late oct), I am yet to receive anything (application completed/submitted early nov).
I also applied to UCD, but only got confirmation from Atlantic Bridge that my application was complete. Are we missing something?

I also applied to UCD, but only got confirmation from Atlantic Bridge that my application was complete. Are we missing something?
thats what I am wondering. when was your application completed/submitted if you dont mind me asking?

I learned about the program late, so I was complete on January 1.

Applied both UCD and RCSI, but got nothing from either. I didn’t see anything about a Portal mentioned in older threads either.
I will reach out to AB and see why some applicants did/did not receive a confirmation/portal link directly from UCD. Will let you know what I find out.

I will reach out to AB and see why some applicants did/did not receive a confirmation/portal link directly from UCD. Will let you know what I find out.
Thanks for bringing it up, I had never heard of this before.

Has anyone heard anything? Some people had received interview invites from UCD by this point last year

Hi yall. Just submitted my application today. I applied to GEM UCD, UCC, UL, and RCSI. Also applied to 5-year program for Galway and Trinity. I graduated last May with a degree in Chemical Biology. I`m originally from Brazil but got my degree in the US. I thought I`d just drop in and say hi. Wishing everyone the best of luck!! :biglove: