Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by PhoenixFire, Aug 17, 2017.

1. anatomist91

Other Health Professions Student
    Finished my undergraduate degree with a 4.0 GPA and had a large amount of experience with volunteering and research!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. celis29

Wow !! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anatomist91 likes this.
  4. celis29

Does anyone know if the universities release second round offers on the same day??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

5. Flor_m

Psychology Student
    Same here! Gods good

ScienceBronco and anatomist91 like this.
  6. luke ghouti

Pre-Medical
    Nope, I’ve simply decided that a medical education abroad isn’t worth it. While Ireland’s medical curriculum is excellent by all standards, it does not set us up for success. Imagine spending 400k+ on a degree that is incomplete. After graduation, we are not guaranteed an internship position, therefore, the degree is useless without that final stage. I thought about moving to Australia or to the Gulf for work, but they all require you to have completed an internship or residency. That was part of it; the other part that deterred me was the residency matching stage. Each year it gets harder and harder for IMGs to match — this is evident when looking at stats from 2014 to 2017. Further, as the number of CMGs is slowly increasing, the number of residency positions isn’t. Through the law of averages, you can quickly understand that this puts any IMG in an unfavorable position — as they are considered “2nd” during CaRMS matching. In essence, a degree from Ireland will not work for me, but that may not be the case for yourself. I am not someone who is willing to gamble 400k+ on something that is intangible. I think that at the end of the day, Ireland’s health system should be held somewhat accountable. It isn’t right to recruit foreign students who pay a heavy price and then to simply boot them out once they’ve graduated. That, to me, is a professional scam.

Hafiz7862011 likes this.
  7. ScienceBronco

Congratulations! Best of luck in the Caribbean! I was going to apply in the Caribbean but got mixed signals about it.

penguin1234 likes this.
  8. FreshMeat

Pre-Medical, Other Health Professions Student
    Are you going to Galway or Trinity ?

9. Flor_m

Psychology Student
    Trinity was my first choice but now Im not sure. I dont even know what factors to look at tbh they seem the same except dublin is gonna be more expensive. And i couldn't find the average class sizes of trinity im guessing theyre bigger than galway.

Does anyone know what might make one better than the other?

10. A.kjd

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone actually received a rejection yet?!

11. readyornothi

Pre-Medical
    I believe they said between 10-14 days from when you had the interview!

12. registerednurse1992

Non-Student
    Not yet :dead:

Fresh92 likes this.
  13. registerednurse1992

Non-Student
    Thanks for such an honest reply! Good things to think about.

anatomist91 likes this.
  14. anatomist91

Does anyone know where I could find included fees to TCD tuition? Like do students get to use the health and wellness (gym) facilities for "free"? I couldn't find anything as of yet lol. I'm currently "nickel and dime-ing it!" :laugh:

15. Texas rebel

On the AB web site you can see the fees.
    Is that what you wish to know?

anatomist91 likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Texas rebel

I think the Fees are about 39200.00 euro for the 5 year program and about 18000.00 euro living expenses.
    This is what I am seeing on the AB site.

anatomist91 likes this.
  18. rzilla

Pre-Medical
    10 business days= 14+ days of anxiety filled neurosis.

19. Vannygurl

Pre-Medical
    Hey Guys!! I just got int RCSI GEMS and I have 14 days to accept the offer and pay 6500 euros!! that's 9970 CAD! I want to go to RCSI I love the school with a real passion and I am super excited! Can someone please tell me how best find help with these kinds of financial dealings on such a short notice? I am going to see a financial advisor today, but can I get loans approved this fast ? and will it help cover the deposit or just when I start school? I really need help!

20. CleverAdvisor

Medical Student
    That's a pretty hefty deposit.
    Since you will be going abroad for school the bank will require a cosigner before they give you a loan. The cosigner will need to have good credit, a steady job, and possibly collateral. I think your only two real options are to borrow from family or put it on a credit card.

21. Texas rebel

Get a family member to co-sign a loan for you and the bank should give you the money.
    The banks are well use to this so a loan adviser in bank would provide guidance as well.
    But get on it fast as paper work may take a few days.
    Good luck and congratulations.

22. readyornothi

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone else get an email from RCSI-mub to fill out an online application?

23. irlmitul

Pre-Medical
    Yeah i Have, do you know anything about how many students are interviewed and how many get selected from NA?

24. readyornothi

Pre-Medical
    I'm not too sure. At my interview there was about 15 students I'd say, and I know that their class sizes are on the smaller side. So I'd think they only select a handful of NA since they still have the rest of the world to select from.

25. Lusyliz

Hi, My name is Liz. I am from Toronto .
    I am wondering what are you thinking of doing for accommodations? Im trying to figure out what the best option would be.

26. Lusyliz

Hi, My name is Liz. I am from Toronto .
    I was wondering what are you thinking of doing for accommodations? Im trying to figure out what the best option would be.

Matt1234567890 likes this.
  27. neurowill91

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Atlantic Bridge has rooms set aside for us for some of the programs. Have you asked whether they have anything for this program?

28. neurowill91

Just made this account. I got in to UCC!!! Planning to accept, can't wait to go to Ireland!

29. bwbyers

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! Which program was this for? The 4 or the 5 year?

30. neurowill91

4 year. Just finished sending in the acceptance forms to Atlantic Bridge. Been celebrating for the past week.

31. Hafiz7862011

Pre-Medical
    Many Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying next year!

32. Medi-P2

Pre-Medical

Yes I did. Filled out the online application and emailed them back with ID number. Waiting game now!

I applied for UCC and Galway .... No news from them yet.

readyornothi likes this.
  33. Medi-P2

Pre-Medical
    Yes I asked them. For 5 year program they have55 seats. Not sure about other 6yr prog though!

readyornothi likes this.
  34. neurowill91

BS in Biology (Molecular Concentration) with minors in Chemistry and Japanese
    3.54 undergrad GPA, Cum Laude, High Distinguished Honors in Experiential Learning
    MS in Biotechnology (4.0 GPA), Graduate Certificates in Biotechnology and Health Sciences
    3 years research in Alzheimer's Lab (published and poster presented), 1 year in pulmonary lab
    180 hours volunteering in a pediatric hospital, a few hundred additional hours spread among multiple volunteering opportunities, about 100 shadowing hours
    Studied abroad in Tokyo (3 months, have basic grasp of Japanese language)
    Involved in Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-med honor society, held leadership position), Alpha Lambda Delta (honor society, held leadership positions), National Society of Collegiate Scholars, National Society of Leadership and Success, Phi Kappa Phi (honor society), Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society (held leadership position), Golden Key, Marine and Field Biology Club, Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society, Fencing Club
    This was my third application cycle to US schools, first to Atlantic Bridge. I was interviewed by multiple US schools. I applied to UCC and Trinity (have not heard back from Trinity). I have accepted my offer from UCC.
    Good luck with your application. With any luck, I'll be seeing you in Ireland after the next cycle.

35. Hafiz7862011

Pre-Medical
    Wow....you have extraordinary stats! I'm surprised you didn't get anywhere in the US before. I love Ireland with all my heart...cant wait to apply but extremely nervous. Hopefully...I'll get in somewhere. Thank you for sharing tho.

36. neurowill91

Thanks. I was surprised about the US schools over this cycle, but am glad to go to Ireland. I've been once before, and have always wanted to live there for a while.

37. mohameds1

accepted to RCSI-MUB 6 year program!

Texas rebel likes this.
  38. readyornothi

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!! Did you apply to both 5 year and 6 year program? Or are you a highschool student?

39. irlmitul

Pre-Medical
    got in for 5yeat rcsi-mub

readyornothi likes this.
  40. FutureDoctor9696

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone,

I just made this account and I wanted to share that I got accepted to the 5 year RCSI-Bahrain program this morning.

Can anyone that knows a bit more about this school or someone who currently is a student there share why they chose this school over others and how their overall experience in Bahrain is.

irlmitul and Medi-P2 like this.
  41. Medi-P2

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys

I just got the acceptance letter from RCSI-MUB 5yr today.

Does anyone know what is the passing grade for RCSI or any of the Ireland med school is like? Is it like pass or fail system, if u fail do they drop u from a program, or do u have a chance to redo exams? Apparently some medschools r like that.just wanted to know for AB programs too.

Also does anyone know how r the living expenses in Bahrain? (Renting / food/)

irlmitul likes this.
  42. irlmitul

Pre-Medical
    are the match rates for all irish med school similar including RSCI-mub,
    is there any group to join for RCSI-MUB program for more info on this years students

43. Medi-P2

Pre-Medical
    Not sure to be honest.
    All I know is the stats they gave me, which is:

4/12 Canadian residency matches in 2018.

And 14/24 American residency matches in 2018.

potato_ramen likes this.
  44. potato_ramen

Pre-Medical
    I just got into RCSI-MUB!
    Does anyone know if there is a group? I am looking to connect with North American students.

Congrats to everyone who is getting accepted with RCSI or elsewhere!

45. CleverAdvisor

Medical Student
    Are you going to Ireland because you didn't want to take the MCAT?

46. MFiz6

Pre-Dental
    I received my acceptance for RCSI-MUB 5 year program yesterday morning! Let me know if anybody has information on a FB group of some sort! Congrats to all accepted and good luck to those still eagerly waiting.

47. irlmitul

Pre-Medical
    Looking to connect with NA students for RCSI-MUB

Medi-P2 likes this.
  48. MFiz6

Pre-Dental
    I’m from Canada!

Medi-P2 likes this.
  49. readyornothi

Pre-Medical
    RCSI-mub asked for a copy of my degrees...still in the waiting game :smack:

50. anatomist91

I took the MCAT, but I've always wanted to go to Ireland. I am actually a dual citizen, so the dream has always been to move back over there! :)

51. phdtomduk

Hi everyone!

I'm a Uk/US citizen trying to decide between medical school in the UK & Ireland. I made a longer post here giving the specifics, but figured I'd also reach out in this thread.

I didn't apply through the Atlantic Bridge Program since I live in the UK and but I'm wondering if you guys have any insight into UK vs Ireland for medical school. My goal is to match back to the US. I'm particularly looking for any insight on arranging US clinical clerkships. I understand that doing clinical clerkships in the US is an essential part of successfully matching. However, I have read that arranging US clinical clerkships is becoming increasingly difficulty for IMGs. Many programs no longer accept international medical students for clerkships and there seems to be a lot of competition for these clerkships.

This has me leaning more towards Ireland, as the schools have established US clinical clerkships. I would be worried that I'd be unable to arrange clerkships if I went with the UK.

Are there any current ABP students who can share their experiences with arranging clerkships? Was it a difficult process? Did most of your classmates successfully arrange clerkships in their desired specialties? If any anyone has any insights I would really appreciate it!

52. rzilla

Pre-Medical
    I was accepted to RCSI-Bahrain, and plan on going there to have a look. I’m potentially looking for a female roommate to share a place with. Please get in touch with me if anyone is interested.