Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick question....if i was to do bio12 would they deduct any marks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly, also what do you refer to when you say 'Caribbean'.

Hi again DeadlineDoc!!

What @CleverAdvisor probably means is that the Caribbean schools are quite famous for their high acceptance rates. This means that the schools accept a LOT of students from spectrums of the barely-qualified pre-med to over-qualified pre-med. This usually leads to a high drop out rate, as we suspect they admit a good amount of students who simply aren't qualified to handle the rigors of a med school cirriculum. The only reason we can explain such a high attrition rate would be because they need the funding from tuition. You can read about the Caribbean school debate here: Caribbean schools attrition rates? and The ugly truth about Caribbean medical schools | Pamela Wible MD

On the other hand, Irish schools are quite selective and are on the lower end of acceptance rates. While many schools do need funding and are more holistic in viewing an application, they don't seem to accept students with poor marks in exchange for tuition. Some of these schools are in the top 250 in the world ranks (NUIG, TCD)--their reputation would be on the line if they did. In other words: just money won't pay your way. You've got to be a double package of having the stats and the coin.

Hi again DeadlineDoc!!

What @CleverAdvisor

On the other hand, Irish schools are quite selective and are on the lower end of acceptance rates. While many schools do need funding and are more holistic in viewing an application, they don't seem to accept students with poor marks in exchange for tuition. Some of these schools are in the top 250 in the world ranks (NUIG, TCD)--their reputation would be on the line if they did. In other words: just money won't pay your way. You've got to be a double package of having the stats and the coin.

And I totally agree, but think about it. How much would you be paying in the caribbeans and in Ireland. Along with the good standards you got pay up to live up. In Canada it is tough as hell to get in med school so most people don't bother. In comparison, getting into Ireland is no that difficult secluding my bad biology grade lol. However, the debate is never about the schools or the fess, etc.

Its all about the student and how much passion they have and want to make use of their degree. Whats the point of a physician if he just works to get paid. Even a cashier gets paid - no disrespect.

Nevertheless, Ireland is also my ideal choice for medical education and hopefully I can catch up and meet my expectations..

Cheers___

And I totally agree, but think about it. How much would you be paying in the caribbeans and in Ireland. Along with the good standards you got pay up to live up. In Canada it is tough as hell to get in med school so most people don't bother. In comparison, getting into Ireland is no that difficult secluding my bad biology grade lol. However, the debate is never about the schools or the fess, etc.

Its all about the student and how much passion they have and want to make use of their degree. Whats the point of a physician if he just works to get paid. Even a cashier gets paid - no disrespect.

Nevertheless, Ireland is also my ideal choice for medical education and hopefully I can catch up and meet my expectations..

Cheers___
Your post/logic is hard to follow. Receiving acceptance to Irish medical schools is not easy. The people who have gained acceptance have worked hard to get there so it’s not exactly fair for someone to come in 5 months after the application deadline and state admissions are easily obtained with the proper amount of money.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know about RSCI-MUB interviews and the type questions they ask?
also does RSCI-mub have the same reputation as rsci-dublin

Your post/logic is hard to follow. Receiving acceptance to Irish medical schools is not easy. The people who have gained acceptance have worked hard to get there so it’s not exactly fair for someone to come in 5 months after the application deadline and state admissions are easily obtained with the proper amount of money.
Working smart and working hard are two different things. I accept the fact of one of my grades being low and I face the consequences, therefore I wont be applying this year.

As for my logic, i'm just doing things according to what is accepted by different universities. If they allow kids after high school, that's good for me. Now if you have spent time doing undergrad. good for you. Regarding money, what I meant was that you can get in but you have to remember that you have to have the financial aid--wasn't referring to paying my way in, rather working my way in.

Hi guys!

If you're interested in applying to AB and would like to know what your chances are, please consider posting in the thread I just made to accomodate this topic:
Atlantic Bridge- "Official" What are my chances? (And advice) Thread

I hope we can use this thread as a way to answer future AB applicant questions and keep the answers archived in one place, so everyone can refer to it as time goes on. This way, we can keep other threads focused too.

(I will delete this post later to minimize the spam.)

PS. I was able to find the majority of the residency match lists for the Irish schools!

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone receive confirmation from Atlantic Bridge that they received their medical and immunization reports for UCC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all
Has anyone heard from Zachary as of late?
I’ve emailed him but haven’t heard back, I’m wondering if I should wait or email the main email!

Hey guys!

I'm doing my interview for RCSI-MUB this Saturday and I'm freaking out a little bit.

For those who did the interview on Friday - what was it like? From what I understand, it is a formal interview.
Where there situations/ethical questions or what it more, "tell me about yourself, why medicine, why did you choose MUB?"

Any help is much appreciated!

Hey

My interview with RCSI-Mub is tmr too.
Just don't stress out be calm and dress for anainterview and professional. My advise to you is be yourself and review some interview questions in online resources. There are alot on YouTube and Google scholar. Remember they are there to get to know us. So make sure u have reviewed you resume that you had sent.

I'm sure we will do great tomorrow.

Hey guys!

I'm doing my interview for RCSI-MUB this Saturday and I'm freaking out a little bit.

For those who did the interview on Friday - what was it like? From what I understand, it is a formal interview.
Where there situations/ethical questions or what it more, "tell me about yourself, why medicine, why did you choose MUB?"

Any help is much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey

My interview with RCSI-Mub is tmr too.
Just don't stress out be calm and dress for anainterview and professional. My advise to you is be yourself and review some interview questions in online resources. There are alot on YouTube and Google scholar. Remember they are there to get to know us. So make sure u have reviewed you resume that you had sent.

I'm sure we will do great tomorrow.
Thanks! Good luck to you tomorrow too!

Just to clear up some doubts regarding RCSI-MUB.

It is IMC approved. The main difference between RCSI and RCSI-MUB is the culture. The latter is a smaller campus and so people are more friendly with each other. The courses are roughly the same and we sit exams at the same time, and get the same degrees. This campus is increasingly becoming Americanised (not sure why).

I’m a senior student here and I had my interview 4 years ago. I know quite a few students who have matched in the US after graduating from here. This campus does tend to help students with preparing for the USMLE more than with other licensing exams. However, it’s a bit difficult to match in Canada. If you’re not Canadian, it’s near impossible, and if you are you’d have to plan well ahead for the Canadian exam. Nonetheless there are tons of Canadians here.

If you have queries you can send me a message, though I’m not online as often.

Has anyone been rejected from Trinity or Galway?

Can anyone tell me what is "1st round offers" vs "2nd round offers" ? Are these sent out according to how competitive an applicant is or in the order in which the application is submitted?

Anyway, I applied to TCD in January and have not heard back. On Thursday I reached out to my admissions officer, Zachary, and he said second rounds will happen sometime in late May. AAAGHH!! this uncertainty is killing me.

@celis29

Hi!

So, this is what we know so far. These decisions are made in cycles, based on what applications they have received to date. So far, first round offers have been completed. This means that they've sent out their first decisions of who has been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. The accepted students will either accept or waive their position. Then, next cycle will begin in which a new round of acceptances (coming from the waitlist bank) will be sent out and so forth, until positions are filled.

[*Unsure of this:] It does seem that all of us have been waitlisted at TCD, as we have not heard any acceptances/rejections for this round. Now, I do believe that they were already reviewing applications in January, so yours may have been "pushed to the back" so to speak (?) or it may have been reviewed already and you were added to the waitlist.

I do know that you can't discover your position on the waitlist. So, many of us are taking our first offer and running, just in case we are on the TCD waitlist until August! (It has happened that people get accepted and rejected as late as August, just before the semester begins.)

Hope I answered some of that?

EDIT: I think the offers in rounds are based on competitiveness of the application first, then also what applications are present at the time.

I had an interview with RCSI but it was ver very short (only 20 min) one of my professor told me before that short interview are not a good thing... does that mean I would be rejected? any ideas?

I had an interview with RCSI but it was ver very short (only 20 min) one of my professor told me before that short interview are not a good thing... does that mean I would be rejected? any ideas?
Your prof is talking out of their ass. 20 minutes is normal.

Did anyone else apply anywhere else internationally outside of the Atlantic Bridge program? Or know of anyone who is going/went to Zagreb medical school in Croatia?

Any UCC GEMs secure campus accommodation? Haven't heard anything other than ShearsGate

Guys who had the RCSI-MUB interview how did it go????

What did they ask...Thanks!

Any one knows how long after an RCSI interview will they be giving acceptances or rejection?

Did anyone else apply anywhere else internationally outside of the Atlantic Bridge program? Or know of anyone who is going/went to Zagreb medical school in Croatia?
I applied to St.George's in the Caribbean I got accepted there and RCSI but I think I'm gonna go with Caribbean since they do their rotations in the states so you get more connections for residency + more clinical experience and I know a lot more people who graduated out of that school!! Never heard anything about Zagreb though

Hey everyone!! Just thought I'd let you know that I was accepted to TCD today! Super excited! Good Luck to everyone! :luck::xf::soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!! Just thought I'd let you know that I was accepted to TCD today! Super excited! Good Luck to everyone! :luck::xf::soexcited:
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats. I am planning to apply to next year. Thanks

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats. I am planning to apply to next year. Thanks

Finished my undergraduate degree with a 4.0 GPA and had a large amount of experience with volunteering and research!

Does anyone know if the universities release second round offers on the same day??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied to St.George's in the Caribbean I got accepted there and RCSI but I think I'm gonna go with Caribbean since they do their rotations in the states so you get more connections for residency + more clinical experience and I know a lot more people who graduated out of that school!! Never heard anything about Zagreb though
Congratulations! Best of luck in the Caribbean! I was going to apply in the Caribbean but got mixed signals about it.

Are you going to Galway or Trinity ?
Trinity was my first choice but now Im not sure. I dont even know what factors to look at tbh they seem the same except dublin is gonna be more expensive. And i couldn't find the average class sizes of trinity im guessing theyre bigger than galway.

Does anyone know what might make one better than the other?

Has anyone actually received a rejection yet?!

Nope, I’ve simply decided that a medical education abroad isn’t worth it. While Ireland’s medical curriculum is excellent by all standards, it does not set us up for success. Imagine spending 400k+ on a degree that is incomplete. After graduation, we are not guaranteed an internship position, therefore, the degree is useless without that final stage. I thought about moving to Australia or to the Gulf for work, but they all require you to have completed an internship or residency. That was part of it; the other part that deterred me was the residency matching stage. Each year it gets harder and harder for IMGs to match — this is evident when looking at stats from 2014 to 2017. Further, as the number of CMGs is slowly increasing, the number of residency positions isn’t. Through the law of averages, you can quickly understand that this puts any IMG in an unfavorable position — as they are considered “2nd” during CaRMS matching. In essence, a degree from Ireland will not work for me, but that may not be the case for yourself. I am not someone who is willing to gamble 400k+ on something that is intangible. I think that at the end of the day, Ireland’s health system should be held somewhat accountable. It isn’t right to recruit foreign students who pay a heavy price and then to simply boot them out once they’ve graduated. That, to me, is a professional scam.
Thanks for such an honest reply! Good things to think about.

Does anyone know where I could find included fees to TCD tuition? Like do students get to use the health and wellness (gym) facilities for "free"? I couldn't find anything as of yet lol. I'm currently "nickel and dime-ing it!" :laugh:

Does anyone know where I could find included fees to TCD tuition? Like do students get to use the health and wellness (gym) facilities for "free"? I couldn't find anything as of yet lol. I'm currently "nickel and dime-ing it!" :laugh:
On the AB web site you can see the fees.
Is that what you wish to know?

I think the Fees are about 39200.00 euro for the 5 year program and about 18000.00 euro living expenses.
This is what I am seeing on the AB site.