Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my denial letter from Trinity. I haven’t heard anything from Galway.

Members don't see this ad.

For the 5/6 years UCD programme anyone got any acceptance or it's late for everyone? because the admission office told me that they are still working on applications and students can still apply because the seats are not yet filled!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Has anyone heard from 5 year Galway? When I followed up with Atlantic Bridge, they said I should here something, "shortly", however, I still haven't heard anything and it's been over a week since I reached out to them. I was denied from Trinity, Galway is my last hope!

Hey guys! Has anyone heard from 5 year Galway? When I followed up with Atlantic Bridge, they said I should here something, "shortly", however, I still haven't heard anything and it's been over a week since I reached out to them. I was denied from Trinity, Galway is my last hope!
I haven’t heard anything and I’m in the same boat as you!

Reactions: 1 user

Hey-o. I don't know if you've peeked at earlier in the thread, but at least 10 of us have heard back from 5 year NUIG. Let us know if you make it, we have a FB group!

I'm still waiting! No news is good news, right?

Anyone else apply GEM to Limerick or RCSI, and still have not heard anything? Not sure if "no news is good news" or if it just is a silent rejection.

Anyone else apply GEM to Limerick or RCSI, and still have not heard anything? Not sure if "no news is good news" or if it just is a silent rejection.

I received my letter of regret from Limerick (GEM) about a month ago. You're probably on their waitlist I would guess!

Applicants applying for 2018 entry: here's the place to post your questions, concerns, etc.
Hi ,
I am currently studying in highschool but am planning to apply this year. I have gotten 5 on ap bio , 4 on AP Physics 1 and planning to take AP Chem this year . I have scored a 770 on sat bio and 750 on sat chem (which I will retake for a perfect score ) . I have a 3.88 unweighted gpa . I have a 1400 sat (which I will be planning to increase). I have lots of service hours volunteering and clinical shadowing . What are my chances of getting into one of these reputed colleges. I don’t mind either the 5 year or 6 year course for undergrad . Also , do they give a year deferment since I might have to do national service ?

Hi ,
I am currently studying in highschool but am planning to apply this year. I have gotten 5 on ap bio , 4 on AP Physics 1 and planning to take AP Chem this year . I have scored a 770 on sat bio and 750 on sat chem (which I will retake for a perfect score ) . I have a 3.88 unweighted gpa . I have a 1400 sat (which I will be planning to increase). I have lots of service hours volunteering and clinical shadowing . What are my chances of getting into one of these reputed colleges. I don’t mind either the 5 year or 6 year course for undergrad . Also , do they give a year deferment since I might have to do national service ?
If you are currently in high school, the 6 year courses are the most likely to be available (Royal College of Surgeons (both the Irish and the Bahrain branches), UCD, Galway). Only some of the 5 year courses are available without having an undergrad degree (Royal College of Surgeons (only the Irish branch), Galway, Cork). Trinity requires an undergrad degree before applying, though not necessarily in a pre-medical field (provided science coursework has been taken). You have a decent high school gpa, but will have to inquire with Atlantic Bridge about the specific AP scores and deferments (I suspect that they don't do deferments, though I could be wrong). How many hours is "lots"? Do you have good letters of recommendation (these will be highly important)?
Outside of the question of whether you can get in straight out of high school, you do need to consider if you should. Many residency programs in the US prefer to have US students filling their slots (I am not as informed on Canadian schools, though the discussions I have seen on this site indicate that there is still a preference). While Irish schools do have considerably higher match rates than the average for international medical students applying to US medical residencies, it is still lower than from US students applying to US residencies (on average). It may be more difficult to match into some specialties. Most discussion boards on this site will recommend applying to US schools for at least one cycle before going abroad for medical school. Talk to physicians you have shadowed, call Atlantic Bridge for info, and see about talking to college pre-health advisors (depending upon where you live, tours may be available in which you can meet with a pre-health advisor at your local college before graduating high school). They can offer more perspective on this. All of that being said, these schools are well recognized and there are US students who complete their college and medical school abroad, and they can do quite well.
As a final word of caution, med school will be tough. For an analogy, plenty of 4.0 gpa high school students have trouble at some point in college; while 4.0 gpa college students frequently have trouble at some point in a 4 year med school. The only difference between a 4 year and 5 year program is that the first 2 years are spread out a bit more. If you do apply straight from high school, I recommend doing the 6 year program. The coursework is more spread out and it will give you a bit more time to adjust to college life and enjoy college.
If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 87% average in grade 12. (Top 6 classes: english 95, nutrition and health 92, bio 87, physics 83, chem 82 and advanced functions 82). I still didn't hear from UCD or RCSI for the 6 year program. Im wondering it's because of my rough grade 11 marks... (79% average) Do they check grade 11 marks or do they only focus on grade 12?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 87% average in grade 12. (Top 6 classes: english 95, nutrition and health 92, bio 87, physics 83, chem 82 and advanced functions 82). I still didn't hear from UCD or RCSI for the 6 year program. Im wondering it's because of my rough grade 11 marks... (79% average) Do they check grade 11 marks or do they only focus on grade 12?
I think that they would check all high school marks for the 6 year programs. They also put a lot of stock in letters of recommendation. If you did not get in this cycle, I recommend taking some college coursework and trying again later (see my post on July 16 in this thread for more info). Feel free to message me for more info.

Does anyone know if UCD is still accepting students for the 6 year program? Haven't heard anything from them yet, it's getting closer to classes starting so I'm a bit worried.

Still noting from RCSI GEM program... anyone get rejections?? Pretty sure classes start next month.

I saw on the Facebook group that a few people just got acceptances last week. Some slots may still be open. There's always someone who hears back at the last minute.

I'm also strongly considering Atlantic Bridge for next year, and wondering if anyone applied DO and had thoughts to share for picking one over the other?

Does anyone know if UCD is still accepting students for the 6 year program? Haven't heard anything from them yet, it's getting closer to classes starting so I'm a bit worried.
I’m also on the same boat It’s strange I have been calling the admissions office for a while now and they keep telling me we don’t know when is the date the school will get back to us and applications are considered on a rolling basis! They have also told me that a lot of applications are under reveiw with no answer yet and it’s not just me!

I'm from: Canada
Education: Honours BSc. Psych, Neuro, & Behaviour, Currently completing MSc. Human Kinetics
GPAs: Undergrad (last 2 years) ~3.7
MCAT? Will be completing this summer
Applying to: All 4 year schools
LORs: Clinical neuropsychologist; Current MSc supervisor; unknown yet
ECs: Volunteered at a hospital, vet clinic, MS/spinal cord injury exercise program, Let's Talk Science, Exec on university academic club, worked in research (brain injuries + rehab)

Does anyone know my chances of getting in?

Thank you!!

Hey I just recently decided to look at med schools in Ireland (preferably the 4 year program) but I can't find the ABP deadline.
Is it too late to apply?

Question. Does this program conduct a background check after acceptance or before? Just wondering if a minor traffic thing would come up on that report. I know the application asks about convictions, but I'm more curious about background checks.

Question. Does this program conduct a background check after acceptance or before? Just wondering if a minor traffic thing would come up on that report. I know the application asks about convictions, but I'm more curious about background checks.
They will conduct a background check after acceptance. You will have to bring a police clearance certificate with you to orientation (US students can get them from the FBI, or from an authorized background check company). The school will also do a check through the Garda (Irish police) for permission to interact with patients (this will be started within a few days of orientation), and you will have to bring documentation of all of this when you visit immigration for permission to reside in Ireland for medical school. Hope this helps.

Hello all!

So what do you think my chances will look like? I just submitted my application.
College: I have an associates degree in general studies and about 92 credit hours done which include: Anatomy and Physiology I and II, General Chemistry I and II, medical terminology, General College Biology I, College algebra, Statistics, General Psychology, Human Growth and Development, Science of Biology, Natural and Physical Sciences, Pathophysiology, Microbiology, and interpersonal Communication. These are only the science courses I have for the most part. I have quite a few other general education classes in various subjects.

Military Experience: I am currently active duty Army but my contract will be over around the time the universities send out the first acceptance letters. I went through training in 2015 and earned my national EMT(B) certificate and have kept that current during my entire career. I have had the opportunity to work at an adult primary care clinic for about 2 1/2 years. During my time I have had many opportunities to participate in various procedures and I have gained some experience in OBGYN. I also am in a leadership position currently and I am in charge of about five other soldiers as a Non commissioned officer. I have had the opportunity to participate in a few training exercises with live tissue that allowed us to practice emergency trauma interventions on goats and various online medical classes that I have taken for extra learning and experience.

LOR: I have one from my Microbiology teacher, one from the Physician Assistant I am currently working under, one from a past Physician Assistant I worked under for about a year, and I am working on getting another one from another science teacher or advisor.

High School GPA: 3.4 and I also took some other science courses that were college level in high school: Sports Medicine and Anatomy and Physiology. I also took some other college level courses that are non science courses.

Volunteer: I have a few hours that I have spent at a local food bank, I served a two year church service mission in Scotland and Ireland, I serve as an adult teacher for my local church and have done so for about a year and I spent another year teaching 3-4 year old children at my church in the previous state I lived in. I have participated in various service projects through my church over the last few years as well.

Any advice or extra information would be great!

Hey guys! I've applied to ABP 2019 entry to 4 and 5-year programs! My stats are here, please let me know if I stand a chance, haha!

Canadian
Applied to all
~3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT.
Strong LOR's and have plenty of volunteering, leadership (Held presidential and vice presidential roles in major university clubs and have made quite an impact in the Faculty of Science), and research attributes (HIV and antibiotic resistance research).

Hoping to get into this holistic approach as well! Canadian med schools are so competitive.

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Hi ,
Hi
Have you applied to ABP this fall 2018?

Hey guys! I've applied to ABP 2019 entry to 4 and 5-year programs! My stats are here, please let me know if I stand a chance, haha!

Canadian
Applied to all
~3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT.
Strong LOR's and have plenty of volunteering, leadership (Held presidential and vice presidential roles in major university clubs and have made quite an impact in the Faculty of Science), and research attributes (HIV and antibiotic resistance research).

Hoping to get into this holistic approach as well! Canadian med schools are so competitive.

Best of luck to everyone applying!
Why dont you apply to US MD and DO schools instead? With these stats you could get ANY DO school and probably still have a chance at a MD school

Just received an interview for UCD GEM! Anyone else hear any news from other schools?

Just received an interview for UCD GEM! Anyone else hear any news from other schools?
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? By the way, there is a new thread for 2019 entry, just search "Atlantic Bridge 2019-Chances, Acceptance, Waitlist".

3.02 GPA (Georgetown University Washington DC), BS Bio , Mcat will be taking in March , Lots of shadowing, volunteer work in dozens of hospitals, applied to all 6 schools except RCSI Bahrain. What are my chances getting into any of the Irish schools?Gpa is low i know, got lots of science courses and My University is pretty harsh when it comes to grading.
Congrats to all those who got accepted. Wish me a good luck .Peace

I’m not sure if anyone is still active in this thread, but are there any RCSI students that would be able to talk about their first year experience? Also, for those who’ve graduated, do you use “M.D” credentials or the Irish credentials (M.B, etc) when practicing back in your home country?

I’m not sure if anyone is still active in this thread, but are there any RCSI students that would be able to talk about their first year experience? Also, for those who’ve graduated, do you use “M.D” credentials or the Irish credentials (M.B, etc) when practicing back in your home country?

Hey, not an irish med school student. Family owns clinics and we have an extensive network of doctors and program directors, residency committee members etc. Your designation has zero relevance as long as it is recognized. What matters more for IMG is

1. Which country, is there any renown of any kind, usually an affiliation with a US/CDN teaching hospital.
2. Grades, EC (Primarily research/publishings), no one cares that you were the president of some student body organization. Its something to talk about in interviews, and paired with a stellar GPA shows that you are competent, but it definitely will not decide whether someone interviews you are not. Same thing can be said about volunteering/interning in impoverished areas. Again, great for something to talk about DURING the interview, but not a factor in GETTING an interview.
3. USLME scores, primarily Step 1 scores. Score HIGH ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT, if you want to significantly increase your chances of getting matched
4. Probably most crucial to getting interviews paired with a decent application, network. Its as simple as that, if a program director of a well renowned family health group writes you a LOR or puts in a good word for you when you are trying to land a family medicine residency, it goes a long way. This is true of every professional career and medicine is no exception. Why would someone interview a kid a program director recommended? simple, to scurry a favor. Medical school education is not always a good indicator of what kind of a resident you will be, similar to most professional jobs, majority of your skills are going to be taught actually working in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, not an irish med school student. Family owns clinics and we have an extensive network of doctors and program directors, residency committee members etc. Your designation has zero relevance as long as it is recognized. What matters more for IMG is

1. Which country, is there any renown of any kind, usually an affiliation with a US/CDN teaching hospital.
2. Grades, EC (Primarily research/publishings), no one cares that you were the president of some student body organization. Its something to talk about in interviews, and paired with a stellar GPA shows that you are competent, but it definitely will not decide whether someone interviews you are not. Same thing can be said about volunteering/interning in impoverished areas. Again, great for something to talk about DURING the interview, but not a factor in GETTING an interview.
3. USLME scores, primarily Step 1 scores. Score HIGH ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT, if you want to significantly increase your chances of getting matched
4. Probably most crucial to getting interviews paired with a decent application, network. Its as simple as that, if a program director of a well renowned family health group writes you a LOR or puts in a good word for you when you are trying to land a family medicine residency, it goes a long way. This is true of every professional career and medicine is no exception. Why would someone interview a kid a program director recommended? simple, to scurry a favor. Medical school education is not always a good indicator of what kind of a resident you will be, similar to most professional jobs, majority of your skills are going to be taught actually working in the hospital.

Thank you so much for the information! That was really helpful.