ATSU-KCOM vs BCOM vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astix3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been fortunate enough to receive 4 acceptances (waiting to hear back from a 5th DO school post-interview) and it is nearing the deadline for me to submit my deposit. I am having a tough time choosing amongst the schools. I have already pretty much decided against VCOM-LA and NYIT-COM Jonesboro due to location and being more interested in the other 3 options. I am trying to decide between ATSU-KCOM, BCOM, and UIWSOM. I currently live in Texas and am married. I know this question may seem a no-brainer because KCOM is much more established than the other two schools and has a pretty solid rep. However, my husband works in a trade and Kirksville is so rural that there are not many job opportunities for him, so that is something I need to consider as well when making my decision. My goal ultimately is to work in primary care with rural/underserved populations. The only other specialty I might be interested in outside of primary care would be emergency medicine.

KCOM pros:
Great board pass scores and match rates, closer to family than the other schools (6 hours), have ultrasound as part of the curriculum, for 3rd and 4th year rotations I have the option to return to TX or go to IL where I am originally from, alumni connections, really loved the vibe I got from faculty and students during the interview day

KCOM cons:
very rural area (difficult to find job for my husband), curriculum is graded and class is ranked (more competitive environment?), I am not a huge fan of Missouri in general

UIWSOM pros:
I love their mission and focus on the community and underserved pops, easier for my husband to find a job, pass/fail curriculum, seems to have a really supportive environment, Texas residency more likely if I go to school in Texas

UIWSOM cons:
They haven't graduated a class yet and have not yet published COMLEX pass rates (even though I think they should have been available by now), curriculum has a lot of self-study and the exams are essay style, far from family

BCOM pros:
Love their mission and focus on working with the community and immigrant populations in the area, great location (husband and I loved it when we visited - great weather and opportunities to hike and be in nature to help with mental health), I have a friend from undergrad who goes here and may be able to provide me some advice as I go through, their 2020 matches looked strong, pass/fail, they have mentoring program working with local HS students (I'm a teacher and passionate about this)

BCOM cons:
Board scores have been pretty low in the past, although most recent class had a 94% first time pass rate, still a newer school that may be working out some kinks, far from my family as well

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am a current student at KCOM, and I was in a similar situation to you when I made my decision. My spouse moved with me to Missouri. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Hi! I am a current student at KCOM, and I was in a similar situation to you when I made my decision. My spouse moved with me to Missouri. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Hey I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t let me! Thank you so much for your comment. I really loved my interview with KCOM and everyone I met. It seems like a great place to be, but like I said I’m worried about my spouse finding a job. I was wondering if you could tell me how you came to your decision/why you chose KCOM and how your experience has been so far. How do you like the school? How is Kirksville? You can feel free to PM me. Thank you!!

Hi! Could you also PM me? I tried to PM you and it wouldn't let me. I have some questions about KCOM also!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I have a few questions as well. Especially for moving with a family. Can you please PM me as well? Thank you

Reactions: 1 user