Attaching Papers or Abstracts to Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reem16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question concerning applications.

I have a couple of publications, and I was thinking of just including abstracts in my applications. I am worried that sending out +100 pages of manuscripts may be more annoying than helpful for the admissions committee.

Do you guys think it's a mistake and I should just send everything out? Or abstracts are enough? What are you guys doing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking if your pubs are that long to just send the abstracts. The committee would be able to get a feel for it and if they are interested they could then look it up themselves. I think it's important to include something, because it definitely strengthens your app, but don't think a mound of paper would be more beneficial. Being that I think of money too cause this process is bloody expensive, it'll be much cheaper for you to just do the abstract.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought!
Thanks a lot for confirming my intuition. They can always ask me for the full-text if they want.

Thanks guys :)

A few schools ask for you to include publications (I think Penn does, for example). I only included full manuscripts for these schools. I also brought copies to my interviews.

A few schools ask for you to include publications (I think Penn does, for example). I only included full manuscripts for these schools. I also brought copies to all my interviews.

Same with me - I had a few schools that wanted to see publications so I submitted the papers. Chances are good that they won't read your entire paper but it's a nice visual reminder that you are published.

That being said, I didn't have 100+ pages worth of pages. Are these scientific publications? I've never seen such long papers.

Didn't mean to scare you guys :p. My 2 papers are in press so they are still in double-spaced 12 pt manuscript format... That's the only reason why they take 50 pages each! (with appendixes, figures and so on). I can't wait for them to be reduced to their final shorter/more professional looking versions.

Thanks everyone for your help :) I will follow your advice.