Attention 2001 students: Where did you got accepted and your GPA/ MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you people that are getting accepted and getting off wait lists, what kind of GPA/ MCAT did you have and where did you get in/ rejected. I figure this will help some of the 2002 applicants to figure out where they may have a chance to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 3.6 overall, with a 3.8 science. Unfortunately my MCAT scores were 9,9,7. The 7 was in the verbal. Because of my low scores I only applied to two schools. Got into 1 and am waitlisted at the other :D

Not sure what to say about my low scores, except that I didn't study for it.

Look at the multi-page "Where Do You Stand" thread -- that gives a pretty good indication of the questions you are asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi molecular-

May I ask where did you get accepted?

Dr.Perez

In that thread lilycat people only give what schools that have/ have not been accepted to. THay don't give thier GPA/ MCAT, thus it is really no help to the prospective applicants unless thay give stats.

sbg33 -- check out US News and World Report Best Graduste School magazine. it is on newsstands everywhere. every med school is listed and almost every single one gives average MCAT and average GPA listings. it has been much help to me so far. that stuff may even be on their website but i don't know the address.

There are a lot of other factors that come into play here, especially for non-trads and /or URMS that don't really give you the whole picture. Your best bet is to look at the MSAR for the published mean/median scores and compare from those stats, not anecdotal info from this board.

Good Luck.

The U.S. News and World Report website ( http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm ) is even more informative than the magazine as you get information such as the number of out-of-state students that applied/accepted and lots of other stuff. It has a neat compare feature so that you can list four schools together with their admissions information in a handy table. You can read all about the methodology for how they ranked the schools if the rankings are a big deal. Unfortunately, not all schools provide information to U.S. News so some do not list any information. It is not just the 50 schools on the list that have information on this website though. Osteopathic schools are also there.

Anyone else want to give us some real numbers, instead of just averages in US News. I have seen alot of posts saying that people got accepted with below average scores but why no numbers?

Why no numbers? Because EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT! Get it? We could spout off all of our numbers, and guess what? You know what you would find if you averaged those numbers? The same stats that USNEWS publishes. See, they've already done the legwork for you! Just read the dumb magazine dude. Besides, will it really make you feel that much better to know that one guy from Topeka(or wherever) got in with a 24 and a 3.1?

Truth: Being neurotic about numbers will not help you. Just apply! If you proove you've got the drive and the brain to succeed, you'll get in. If you don't, figure out where you're weeknesses lie, and correct them if you can.

Originally posted by sng33:
•Anyone else want to give us some real numbers, instead of just averages in US News. I have seen alot of posts saying that people got accepted with below average scores but why no numbers?•

Essentially, MRF1366 answered your question. While it might give you hope to see someone with the exact same stats, or lower stats, get into certain schools, it would sort of be a false hope, because that does not even guarantee you would get an interview at those schools. Numbers will get you so far; then comes your EC's, your essays, your letters of rec, etc. Not to mention, the success of your application also somewhat depends on the rest of the applicant pool -- schools try to select diverse classes in terms of demographics, ethnicity, schools, majors, etc. There are so many other variables that are taken into account for this process, which is why you can't say, "Well, I have a higher GPA and MCAT than Person X, therefore I will be able to at least interview at all the schools Person X was accepted to." It just doesn't work that way. That's why people are directing you to research the average numbers for the schools -- that should give you an indication of which schools you may be competitive for.

If someone posts a question, just answer it directly or don't answer at all.

Eric,

Respectfully, I think you may have missed the point of the previous posts.

Statistically speaking, one data point in a set is nothing, it is not until you have a reasonable N until you can start to draw inferences and conclusions about your chances with respect to a population or sample. The problem is that with the med school process there are so many variables that are weighted differently from each school, it is difficult to draw ANY logical conclusion from the two numerical of many factors. Additionally, I would bet that the sample of numbers you get on this site is somewhat selection biased.

An example comparing three applications to the same school:
Student 1: GPA 3.2, MCAT 30, non Trad, no reasearch extensive work experience and volunteer experience in healthcare. Waitlisted.
Student 2: GPA 3.8, MCAT 30, published in several peer reviewed journals, extensive research & volunteer experience. Rejected, no secondary.
Student 3: GPA 3.2, MCAT 32, non trad, extensive work experience in a health related field. Accepted.

All three of the above students eventually received multiple acceptances.

Reasoning on this board seems to be that Student 2 should have been accepted above students 1 & 3, yet that student was rejected without a secondary.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason with the "middle" of applicants. Students with High scores & GPAS usually get in somewhere, students with low scores usually do not. It is the middle portion that most of us lie in that it is difficult to tell. Interviews and letters of recommendation mean much more for those people than for the high GPA/High MCAT crowd. Which is why everyone keeps sending people to US NEWS or the MSAR. No one is intentionally trying to duck the question, but it has been asked here many times before and the conclusion drawn is that you can't draw a conclusion from those two particular numbers!

Good Luck to all.

:)
Laura

I understand, it's just that the topic has been posted so many times that I thought the person who posted must know all this by now, and just wanted a direct answer with some numbers so that they may judge for themselves.