Auburn c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all fellow Auburn applicants for the c/o 2016!

I was working on Auburn's supplemental (so blessedly short!), but had a question about their essay. I've drafted a 400 word, 2 paragraph essay about why I would like to attend Auburn. But I'm not sure how long they are expecting it to be (just said it should be in paragraph form). I don't want to write too little and make me seem uneager but at the same time, I don't want to make it superfluous.

Also, how personal is everyone getting with their essay? My draft is more about how awesome the school is than about how awesome I am and why they should accept me (didn't I already do that in my PS?). I'm not sure how to tie myself into my essay, if that makes any sense. Like I'm raving about the school, and I know I should tell them why I would be a good fit for their school based on what I've said, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it without going: you have this, I like this, accept me!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone willing to read what I have so far?

Thanks <3

Members don't see this ad.

I applied (and was accepted) to Auburn last year, and my supplemental essay was a whopping 241 words. That was probably on the short side, I would guess 400 words is okay. I didn't get very personal in my essay, but I did try to relate my research interests to the research opportunities there. If you want me to read what you have so far, feel free to PM it to me.

Also, as a general piece of advice to everyone applying: For the love of god, do not go to your interview in jeans.

I, like Alhazred, also applied and was accepted to Auburn in the last admissions cycle. My essay was 3 small paragraphs and 317 words. Basically, I just talked about programs/location/etc., that Auburn had, and why those things attracted me to Auburn. I didn't get too terribly personal in my essay, but apparently it worked :) I would also be willing to look over yours if you PMed it to me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My essay for Auburn was 422 words, so right around where yours is. It wasn't terribly long but basically highlighted different things about Auburn that were the reasons I wanted to go there and how they fit into my goals of becoming a vet.

Also, as a general piece of advice to everyone applying: For the love of god, do not go to your interview in jeans.
Can I second this strongly?! I actually saw people at the interviews I went to show up in jeans and hoodies and I girl even showed up in what looked like her pajamas. Maybe I'm showing my age here but I can't take someone seriously if they don't even bother getting dressed to come to an interview!

Thanks guys! You all rock!

Alhazred and hunterjumper: I think I'll take you up on your offer. Sending PM now. :D

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, Auburn doesn't really have much for me in terms of my research interests but I do find the fact that they have ethics and law courses as part of the core curriculum (as well as an elective course in disaster medicine!) freaking amazing!

Last edited:
I am applying to Auburn! I already have visited the school and spoke with admissions, which was a great experience and left me really wanting to go there. Even though it is not my IS I have a lot of family right near by. I'm glad you got some responses from previous applicants for the essay question, I was wondering that myself!

Hi, Was wondering if you could tell me what Auburn Vet School is noted for. I am applying and working on my supplemental application as we speak and wanted to make sure I touched base with everything they had to offer. Thanks so much

Would love to read what you wrote and I am thinking of applying to Auburn. Thanks.

So should I be worried if my supplemental app essay was nearly 800 words long? I didn't even include everything I wanted to, just the major points.

So should I be worried if my supplemental app essay was nearly 800 words long? I didn't even include everything I wanted to, just the major points.

I'm worried cause mine is like only 350 and I don't think it's all that great...but I'm also at the point where I'm just kinda done with it especially since I pretty much need to express mail it tomorrow...

I'm worried cause mine is like only 350 and I don't think it's all that great...but I'm also at the point where I'm just kinda done with it especially since I pretty much need to express mail it tomorrow...

The supplemental isn't due at Auburn until October 15th... in case you wanted more time to work on it... or didn't want to splurge on express mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'm applying too... I'm glad everyone else had the same question about length and I'm gald that mine ended up being the same length as everyone else's. Not to jump in to the next source of worry (now theat all the apps are in), but when do we know about interviews? I didn't see a date posted in the website.

I received an email after they got my VMCAS(I submitted pretty early) stating that we should hear in January, and I believe recent years have heard either December/January as well!

I got my OOS invitation to interview January 6th last year, and my acceptance February 15th.

Hey guys. I am a first year at AUCVM. As far as the supplementals go, I wouldn't take them too seriously. What I mean by saying this is try not to stress about the supplemental. Give some background info about yourself, make the interviewers know who you are before you get there. Give them something to laugh about and just be yourself.

Someone mentioned what Auburn has to offer. This is just one perk of many, but the vet school is tearing down the old small animal hospital and building a brand new one. It is going to be super awesome and should be completed by 2014 (hopefully cause that's when my class starts surgeries :D). Also, you will be taught in brand new classrooms. Those will be done in the spring. Go to the vet school website to check out the plans for the classrooms and hospital.

Good luck to all the auburn applicants. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am applying as an OOS and just wanted to see if anyone has received any confirmation emails from Auburn. I received a conformation for my VMCAS. Thanks!

I received an email stating my "application file" was complete, so I assume that meant VMCAS and supplemental stuff!

I received an email about 2 weeks ago that my application was complete.

I received the same email, said something about interviews in Feb. I am in state so maybe thats why its (kinda) late. Remember also that if you are currently enrolled in classes you will have to send another transcript after the fall grades are in. I spoke the receptionist briefly when I went to hand in my supplemental and she said they had received around 1100 applications but about 100 werent complete and would be discarded. Historically there are ~ 100 instate applicants for 40 positions. Glad to be from Alabama right now. Good luck to all, may we all be future classmates.

Hmm...I'm wondering if I should start to worry a little bit. I haven't gotten an email explicitly stating that my application is complete. I've received two so far, one stating they had received my VMCAS application and my LORs and the other stating that they hadn't received my GRE scores yet (which were on the way and I had emailed them scans of my copy of the report in the meantime). I know they have my supplemental because it was express mailed and had to be signed for, plus my check was cashed. Might have to email them tomorrow.

I've only received an email about my VMCAS. I should probably check with her as well. I'll keep y'all posted on anything else she tells me.

Wow. My essay was really short compared to everyone else, and I had a few really good reasons for wanting to attend the school. I guess I should have expanded more on mine. It's too late now. When I talked to an admissions counselor from the school, she had mentioned she preferred shorter personal statements, but never said anything about the essay. My personal statement was on the long side, but I had several veterinarians and my adviser who has helped numerous pre-veterinary students over the years look over it.

As for interviews, I think they will be doing those at the beginning of February this year, so I would assume notifications will be sent out in late December or early January. If I remember correctly, the admissions counselor said that January was too early for them to do interviews. I guess we will just have to wait it out and see if that was true.

Does anyone know when to expect an interview invitation/rejection letter??

They said interview invites would be going out in January. I wish they were sending them out earlier but oh well..

Last year they sent out a few in December...but I believe the email said January. :confused:

I just received an email that Auburn's office is going to be closed until January 3rd-Guess we won't be hearing anything in December. Now I can stop checking my email all the time. lol.

Does anyone that applied last year happen to remember the GPA cutoff for OOS'ers? I was really hoping they would send out invites in December like they did last year and was disappointed when I got the email saying the office was closing.
Maybe I'm just not seeing one, but they really need a toe-tapping, impatient emoticon on here.

The GPA minimums are a 2.5 for Alabama, Kentucky, and West Virginia residents and 3.0 for everyone else.

They are in the middle of moving the academic affairs office with the construction of the new classrooms which might be why it's taking longer this year to hear back than it did last year. I know how frustrating it is waiting to hear (I was in your shoes last year) but it will be worth it to be able to see all the improvements that will done in early January.

do we send our fall 2011 transcripts?? can't find anything on the website!

I remembered back a month or so that I got an email from Auburn talking about this. They request that you do NOT send fall transcripts unless she emails you asking for them. I actually just ordered all my transcripts today and ordered one to my house for Auburn so I can mail it to them if asked.

Does anyone know how their admissions process works for selecting for interviews?

I got an email from AU wanting my fall transcripts. Does this mean that I am in the running for an interview, since it was posted that they don't want them unless they request it? Just asking because MSU sent me an email requesting them, then 2 days after I paid to have them sent I got an email from MSU declining to interview me. Has anyone gotten an invitiation or heard anything from AU? I got an email from them saying late Dec early Jan, but someone in my class said they won't send out invites until Feb.

I got an email from AU wanting my fall transcripts. Does this mean that I am in the running for an interview, since it was posted that they don't want them unless they request it?
Are you in-state, out of state, or contract? I also got the e-mail that said they didn't want them unless they requested them, but on their website it says the following:
"Alabama, Kentucky and West Virginia residents should send transcripts immediately after fall semester as well. Non-resident/Non-contract applicants should not send fall transcripts."

I got the email a couple of weeks before the end of the semester. I am a contract student so I quess I was just getting my hopes up about an interview.

I got the email a couple of weeks before the end of the semester. I am a contract student so I quess I was just getting my hopes up about an interview.
Look up how many students from your state normally apply a year and how many contract spots are available for those students. That may give you somewhat of an idea of your chances for an interview.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when OOS interview invites will be sent?

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when OOS interview invites will be sent?

The email I got said they would send out invites in January and interviews would be in February. I checked last years SDN forum (Auburn c/o 2015) and it looks like people got invites starting the first week of January... so it should be any day now.

It looks like some people have started to get email invites does anyone know if they staggered them last year? If figured a lot more people would be posting about it.

It looks like some people have started to get email invites does anyone know if they staggered them last year? If figured a lot more people would be posting about it.

They staggered it last year as well. I PMed a member yesterday and they said that their email stated they were the "first group" to get invitations and that there would be more... hang in there! It's killing me too!:scared:

They staggered it last year as well. I PMed a member yesterday and they said that their email stated they were the "first group" to get invitations and that there would be more... hang in there! It's killing me too!:scared:
I checked last year's invite dates. Looks like people from SDN got interview invites on 8 different days. Last year, some were sent out before winter break, but most were received anywhere from the 4th to the 28th of January. The member who received an interview invite on the 28th had their interview scheduled for a week later. If they send them out as scattered as they were last year, I wouldn't be surprised if some were sent out in February since they got a late start this year. Rejections last year according to SDN were sent out in December, January, and February. That's just last year's data, so I wouldn't rely too much on that information since things change from year to year. Also, no one listed their invites as in-state or contract last year. I would assume those invites might be sent a little later than the out-of-state invites since they require fall transcripts, but my assumption could be wrong.

Last edited:
I just withdrew my application from Auburn, Tufts, Michigan State, and Iowa State...hopefully this will create another spot for one of you guys! Good luck!!! :luck::xf:

Hey guys. You may or may not have seen my post earlier, but I am a first year here at Auburn. I am an IS student, and I recieved my interview invite sometime around Feb. if I remember corectly. The ISers will have their interviews in March usually around spring breaks. I went to Alabama and my interview was during my spring break.

As far as the OOSers go, I don't really know much about the process. I do know, however, that you guys get to interview first. I know a few interview invites have been sent out, so keep checking your mail!

Also, get excited! We are getting ready to move into the new classrooms. They are super nice and up-to-date. Exciting things are going on at Auburn right now!

Hit me up if you have any questions.

Hey you guys. I just wanted to say that I'm excited for everyone getting their interview invites. I'll be around most for most of the interviews and would be more than happy to meet a fellow SDNer. Just let me know when you'll be here and I'll do my best to meet you.

Congratulations on the interviews! If any of you guys have questions, please feel free to ask any of us that are at Auburn.

Just want to say what's up, longtime lurker et cetera.

...can't wait to hear from Auburn, good luck everyone.