Auburn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taenia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything or have insight from last year? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything at all. From what I've been told, at least last year, they sent most of the interview invites in very late Jan/early Feb, and did the interviews in mid-to-late Feb. I believe most people found out about 2 weeks later.

I was told that they rec'd 700 out of state apps (including Kentucky apps), and 120 in-state apps from AL residents. They normally seat 50 AL residents, 30 KY residents, and about 10 out-of-staters. *** disclaimer, the 120 in-state I know is correct, I heard it from the horses mouth. The 700 is 2nd hand knowledge but it is from a reliable source, and is fairly consistant with previous years. . .although slightly more than normal.

Hopefully they won't give you a dose of droncit. (You know, being a tapeworm and all)... ;-)

They don't give out-of-state interviews, do they? I think I read that on their website, but just double checking. Taenia-I think your waiting on Colorado as well as Auburn, like myself. Are you out-of-state for both as well? I'm not sure how to feel about having the same taste in vet schools as a tapeworm....:)

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't give out-of-state interviews, do they? I think I read that on their website, but just double checking. Taenia-I think your waiting on Colorado as well as Auburn, like myself. Are you out-of-state for both as well? I'm not sure how to feel about having the same taste in vet schools as a tapeworm....:)

I'm out of state for both Auburn and Colorado. No, Auburn only does instate interviews, I believe. They didn't even want our Fall 06 transcripts! We'll just be waiting longer, I suppose...hang in there!

Cestode Power!

I interviewed with Auburn last year as an out-of-state resident but maybe they changed it for this year.

My understanding was that both IN-state & a handful of highly qualified OUT-of-state students were interviewed - unless it's changed. However, keep in mind that they only enroll a max of 10 out of state (meaning non-AL, non-KY) students per year. There are other schools that are much more out-of-state "friendly."

hey everybody! i've received a couple of emails from ppl wondering about auburn so here's the jist of my letter:

"Each year we interview approx. 60 non-resident, non-contract students for our 10 at-large positions. [...] Interviews are scheduled mon. and fridays. [...]"

The letter is dated 1/22 and I received it on Saturday, 1/27. it came via snail mail.

i started another auburn thread but just ignore that one. :rolleyes:

I hope that helps! Good luck everyone.

For those of you who have rec'd interview invites -or- rejection letters, were you in-state or out-of-state? I'm in-state and haven't heard a peep. However, I believe I was told (at some point) that they interview/reject out of staters first...?

Thanks.

For those of you who have rec'd interview invites -or- rejection letters, were you in-state or out-of-state? I'm in-state and haven't heard a peep. However, I believe I was told (at some point) that they interview/reject out of staters first...?

Thanks.

i'm out of state.

Hi yall,
I'm out of state for Auburn, and I noticed that both interview invites and rejections have reached forum members. Well, I still haven't received anything (meh!) despite thorough mail-checking...Anyone else out there that is still waiting? It's probably silly to keep hoping, but does anyone know if interviews are done on more than one day with different batches of invites? Send words of wisdom this way! =) Thanks!

ps-i love this forum! this is my first post--the waiting finally got to me =)

Hi yall,
I'm out of state for Auburn, and I noticed that both interview invites and rejections have reached forum members. Well, I still haven't received anything (meh!) despite thorough mail-checking...Anyone else out there that is still waiting? It's probably silly to keep hoping, but does anyone know if interviews are done on more than one day with different batches of invites? Send words of wisdom this way! =) Thanks!

ps-i love this forum! this is my first post--the waiting finally got to me =)

yup. still waiting...

Still waiting as well. I spoke with someone in their student services office though, and they are interviewing 60 out-of-state people I think. The interviews are only held on Monday and Friday and they do like five or six rounds of interviews as the applications come from the review committee. They say they are still receiving applicants from the review committee who are to be invited for interviews, but are nearing the end of scheduling those 60. They also hold on to the reviewed applications in case the 10 that are admitted do not accept their invite. Hope that helps.

If any of your are IN-state, or KY-contract applicants... interviews started yesterday. Mine was today, and I've posted feedback... G'Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know- I'm from a contract state and was once told by another student from my school (who may or may not know what they're talking about) that Auburn gives all contract students who meet application requirements (gpa) an interview as a polite gesture to the contract state. Is this true??

The last of the letters from Auburn were sent out on Monday.
My acceptance just arrived about an hour ago!! :--)

Yay!

Edit: Regarding the interviews - my understanding is that if you meet some minimum requirements and are an AL or KY resident you will very likely be interviewed. I don't know for certain that it is a guaranteed thing - but, it seems most are interviewed, if at least marginally qualified.

Am I really the only one planning to go to Auburn CVM in the Fall? Anyone else...? :confused:

My life goal of vet school has been achieved. I am thrilled about starting Auburn Vet School in August. I only applied to Auburn as a resident of Alabama. Looking forward to open house this month.

I'm going to PM you :)

I recieved a phone call from Ms. Kaye April 15 asking me to attend Auburn. :D I was SO nervous about being on the waitlist, but it all worked out great! Plus, I made it just in time for the open house. good luck to the rest of the students on the wait list. see you all in the fall!!!

Congrats!! :--)

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to Auburn CVM!!!

What are the GPA and GRE requirements for AU?

When does AU start accepting apps?

I'm a KY resident, hoping to apply next year for Fall 2009. I'm so nervous about the courses I have these next 2 years, and the GRE. I took it last summer and got into a grad program, but my score was not impressive at all.

Also, AU only suggests 2 phys. sci. electives (such as anatomy, genetics, embryology, etc.). Any suggestions on these electives? Right now I'm definitely planning on taking anatomy and hopefully animal nutrition through an online course.

Welcome to my favorite thread of all times (just kidding...kinda).
There is quite a difference between the "minimum" gpa to apply, and the gpa that would give you a good shot at getting in.

I think, if memory serves me, that I read that the minimum for in-state/contract applicants was a 2.5, and 3.0 for out of state. The average, for the class of 2011 - starting in the fall - was a 3.56/4.00. (At least as of a a few weeks ago, as alternates are selected I'm sure this will change). I don't know how big AU really is on the GRE (it DOES count) but I think they said the average for the students they admit is only in the mid 1100's. As long as you have a solid 500 in each section it seems the GRE won't hurt you. If your GPA is questionable, then you may hope to have a killer GPA to attempt to offset that somewhat.

Auburn (like most of US vet schools) accept their applications via VMCAS (which is an online application which you can start filling out in the summer, and is due by October 1st).. they also have a short supplementary application which they will request by November.

As far as the science electives... they like to see the "upper level 'ologies" - genetics, histology, parasit, etc. Anat/Phys are also good courses, I thought.

G'Luck.

The problem I run into with doing just the prereq courses listed on the CVM websites is that most of the upper level courses require one or two prereqs before taking those courses. So by the time I take the prereqs of the prereqs it ends up being a few courses shy of obtaining a Bachelor's.

That's the point. They would prefer to see an applicant who finished more than just the bare minimum.

exactly. which is why i'm just completing the dual degree because after taking all of the courses, i can take 3 additional electives and complete the requirements to have the second bachelor's. i'm not repeating any gen ed requirements, just taking the science and math courses and electives for prep.