ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student
Have you taken other CBSSA’s also or the cbse already? What did you think?
This will be my first attempt but I took 24 and 18. I definitely agree that they're easier than UWorld. I've found that it's easier to narrow down choices on them.

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
It’s a different style of questions that very closely resembles the cbse. I had the same gross histology pics show up on the Cbse. Uworld is for learning. These nbmes are to guage your progress.

Aug 9, 2019
Status
Dental Student
how are you guys scoring your practice nbmes? For example - how many wrong is a 70?

OP
ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student
how are you guys scoring your practice nbmes? For example - how many wrong is a 70?
Each test has it's own curve, you could get 40 wrong on one and 20 wrong on another and get the same score on both.

Aug 9, 2019
Status
Dental Student
And for those who have taken it before, is it as buzzwordy as the practice nbmes?

OP
ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student
Where are you finding the curves for the older nbmes?
I didn't find them anywhere, you take an online in-browser test and it gives you a score.

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
It’s the same question style as the old nbmes. I’m taking my final nbme soon and will fill you guys in on my progress this year versus last year.

Reactions: fit2
OP
ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student
It’s the same question style as the old nbmes. I’m taking my final nbme soon and will fill you guys in on my progress this year versus last year.
wait you're taking it again after a 78?

Reactions: Jimbo3712 and fit2

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
A better score can’t hurt and if I get lower, there’s no loss. Also I for sure know a lot less last year a week out than this year.

I wouldn’t be talking about nbme 20 and 21 considering they just released earlier this year lol haha. I’m taking 24 as my last one. Was gonna do uwsa2 but I kinda wanna save that for actual step 1 if I end up in a 6 year.

klownzo

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2015
yea, seems like its deminishing returns gained in those that score high 70's vs low 80's...
You're right that it probably won't help much but if someone has the time and commitment, why not? I personally wouldn't do the grind again in that situation but I totally understand why some do. Gotta show the gunners who's the top dog

A better score can’t hurt and if I get lower, there’s no loss. Also I for sure know a lot less last year a week out than this year.

I wouldn’t be talking about nbme 20 and 21 considering they just released earlier this year lol haha. I’m taking 24 as my last one. Was gonna do uwsa2 but I kinda wanna save that for actual step 1 if I end up in a 6 year.
Das it mane. Let's see that 86+ breakdown in a couple weeks

OP
ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student

True haha, I didn’t even catch that but obviously yeah, they just came out. Well dang, I bet you kill it. I’d have a hard time subjecting myself to this again if I’d scored that high!

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
Maybe 2 or 3 programs that I know of want you to report all test scores or the most recent one, but yes, a likely better score won’t hurt for most programs. In my opinion your time would have been better spent either doing more externships, research, community service, shadowing private practice surgeons, reading oral surgery textbooks, taking continuing education credits, etc etc. But what do I know, you’re the one with the 78 lol.
Well you see that’s the benefit of taking it after year 1 as opposed to year 2-3. Despite using time retaking it im still on track to do everything you mentioned.

OP
ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student
72 on NBME 21 this morning, it felt quite a bit more difficult than either 18 or 24. Hoped to jump up a couple points, but can't really complain about hitting 70s consistently.

Reactions: la13
May 6, 2018
Status
Dental Student
72 on NBME 21 this morning, it felt quite a bit more difficult than either 18 or 24. Hoped to jump up a couple points, but can't really complain about hitting 70s consistently.
NBME 21 was my lowest score out of all the practice exams.

Reactions: ab117

klownzo

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2015
Scoring the same on a harder test is a good sign. Had the same thing happen to me but if I hadn't gained more knowledge there's no way I would have hit the same score

BeFlawlessNotFlossless

Probationary Status
Apr 24, 2019
Status
Dental Student
Do you guys think it is more important to review all the questions in the nbme 24 (I've looked over about 1/2) or keep grinding out questions on uworld?

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
Make sure you finish uworld. Don’t bother going over the nbmes too in depth lol.

I thought nbme 20 was harder haha. You guys tried that one?

DustFreeEraser

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2011
Status
Would it be possible for you guys to share how you studied?
I know it'll be the usual UFAPS + BnB but just wanted to know what you focused on more, whether you guys used anki or not (and if so, which deck?)
Really interested as there are so many resources out there, I am hoping to hear from someone that has used anki as I am currently using it myself for school and the CBSE studying.

Thanks!

desertrat12

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Would it be possible for you guys to share how you studied?
I know it'll be the usual UFAPS + BnB but just wanted to know what you focused on more, whether you guys used anki or not (and if so, which deck?)
Really interested as there are so many resources out there, I am hoping to hear from someone that has used anki as I am currently using it myself for school and the CBSE studying.

Thanks!
I've used Zanki's sketchy pharm deck and thought it was great. BUT......

My biggest advice would be to not overdo it on anki - you can get lost in a sea of thousands of reviews and put off doing the most important thing - UWORLD. This has been my problem this time around. I spent too much time, in the beginning, trying to work through anki decks and left myself very little time with UWORLD. it's tempting to want to learn and learn and not start UWORLD until you feel "ready". But UWORLD + reviewing uworld questions with first aide + pathoma really does work.

Not dissing on Anki, its a great tool, but the premade decks have thousands and thousands (or 10s of thousands) of cards. Those work great for med students whos classes follow nicely along with Step 1 and can study the deck over the course of 2 years. Stick to UFAP + sketchy micro + sketchy pharm (it was gold for me) and get into UWORLD for as long as possible.

Reactions: Jimbo3712 and la13

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
Are the NBMEs previous CBSE exams? If so, where can I find some recent ones to take?
You buy them which is what I recommend. They give you a breakdown afterwards of how you did and what sections you did well or bad on.

And in terms of studying, you just have to crack open your book and study. And then get tossed around by Uworld and then you will start learning.

It’s something I personally believe without a medical education you need to study at least 1 year for before things start clicking. I don’t mean studying 10 hours a day for a year but studying a few hours a day on each system and repeating the cycle over and over again. Then when you get down to the 8 week dedicated period you can start doing the full day marathons and smashing Uworld.

If you want medical student results EG 80+ you have to do it like a medical student. The more corners you cut, EG not going through uworld fully, not taking some nbmes to check your progress, And most of all, not giving yourself time, the worst you will do. You will have to be one hell of a smart person if you think you can buckle down for 15 hours a day for 3 months and think you can hammer the exam out without any previous knowledge. Seriously in all honesty idk how some people do it that way, but I would be burned out doing that.

Last edited:

DustFreeEraser

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2011
Status
Thanks for the quick replies gang.

I'm a D2 Canadian student and our curriculum is quite different from medical school's curriculum so I'm just starting on a blank state.

I am planning on taking the exam in 2020 and don't really mind giving up school grades to study for this exam instead.

Do you still recommend I start Uworld asap? I have heard it was a great learning tool, not just a good qbank.

DustFreeEraser

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2011
Status
Thank you for your reply. I hear so many people that on those medical school forums recommending to jump into UWorld right away but I think you are right in that since I do lack the biomedical base, it would not be the best use of my time yet.

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
Alrighty boys just finished my last nbme for this cycle. Heres my scores in case people want to know how the nbmes compared to the cbse.

Last year took 3 examinations

July 26th NBME 15 70
August 11th NBME 17 76
August 16th NBME 18 76

CBSE august 18th- got a 78.

This year took 4 examinations
UWSA1 no idea when I took it, but was the first I took but this one overpredicts by alot IMO. 89
June 22nd NBME 20 82
July 15th NBME 21 88
August 13th NBME 24 84

So the only thing I changed up were taking my exams further out to assess myself better and focused on the topics I feel im weak on. Also on test day, I legit just felt like I was taking another NBME and that really helps as you are already familiar.

OP
ab117

ab117

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
Status
Dental Student
Alrighty boys just finished my last nbme for this cycle. Heres my scores in case people want to know how the nbmes compared to the cbse.

July 26th NBME 15 70
August 11th NBME 17 76
August 16th NBME 18 76

UWSA1 no idea when I took it, but was the first I took but this one overpredicts by alot IMO. 89
June 22nd NBME 20 82
July 15th NBME 21 88
August 13th NBME 24 84

So the only thing I changed up were taking my exams further out to assess myself better and focused on the topics I feel im weak on. Also on test day, I legit just felt like I was taking another NBME and that really helps as you are already familiar.
Awesome, you’re going to kill it.

Has anyone taken UWSA2 and also taken the test? I’ve heard it overpredicts too but I just got an 82, I’m sure I won’t hit that high but I’m curious if it scores like, 10 points high or 5 points or what haha.

klownzo

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2015
which anki deck?
Lightyear

July 26th NBME 15 70
August 11th NBME 17 76
August 16th NBME 18 76

June 22nd NBME 20 82
July 15th NBME 21 88
August 13th NBME 24 84

Thick/solid/tight gains. When did you start studying again?

Awesome, you’re going to kill it.

Has anyone taken UWSA2 and also taken the test? I’ve heard it overpredicts too but I just got an 82, I’m sure I won’t hit that high but I’m curious if it scores like, 10 points high or 5 points or what haha.
So UWSA2 is a good predictor for step 1 but isn't accurate with CBSE. From reading previous CBSE threads, the NBME is usually right on or slightly lower than what people score. Though people that are scoring in the 50's on the NBME seem to see decent jumps on the CBSE. It becomes more accurate when you're scoring where you are though. On step 1, people tend to score a decent amount higher than what their NBME averages are. You can see this with the score predictor for step 1. If I had to guess, if you put in your NBME's and Uworld % (assuming you did random and timed) you'll see a score that is definitely higher than what you're averaging on the NBME's. So UWSA2 is accurate for that increase that people see on step 1. I have no idea what it translates to for the CBSE but it's probably around where your last NBME was or slightly higher. Regardless though, you're doing great so keep it up!

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
Probably 2-3 months before. I was actually on the fence about studying for it until Late May early June.

I used to wonder how the med students keep getting 80+ on all the nbmes last year but now I know. Everything just clicks together at some point.

resiliens

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2016
Probably 2-3 months before. I was actually on the fence about studying for it until Late May early June.

I used to wonder how the med students keep getting 80+ on all the nbmes last year but now I know. Everything just clicks together at some point.
Since you went through UW twice last time, did you change up the Qbank you used this time around?

Likkriue

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
Since you went through UW twice last time, did you change up the Qbank you used this time around?
Nope used the same qbank. Since it technically was a second pass I’m not really considering my %. My first pass was 64% last year. This year was 82%, which is solid after a year of not doing it.

docnick95

Probationary Status
Oct 19, 2017
I do think this was a lot easier than the exam from Feb 2019, so the curve will probably be much harsher.

Last edited by a moderator: