August 2020 - CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The extra free time that people might have been expecting to have in July/August right before the test was probably just moved to right now due to the shut downs. Once we all get back to class, everyone will be busier than they would have otherwise been during late summer, so the overall amount of time people might have to study will probably stay around the same.

No matter how you think about it, it's still a really hard test. I don't expect the average to change too much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I also don't think the CBSE is going to be given in August. I think JL will have to delay it to be fair to everyone. Those people in more populated states are 100% not going to be able to find an open test center. Unless you live in a state like Arkansas or something, you're going to have to travel pretty far to find somewhere to take the exam, which isn't fair imo.

I also see this as a possibility. Let’s hope we’re wrong. No matter the decision it’s going to be unfair to a group of people. All the applying D4s counting on that score will be hurt if it doesn’t happen in August, but also those who can’t get to a testing center will be hurt if it does happen in August.

Reactions: 1 user
I also see this as a possibility. Let’s hope we’re wrong. No matter the decision it’s going to be unfair to a group of people. All the applying D4s counting on that score will be hurt if it doesn’t happen in August, but also those who can’t get to a testing center will be hurt if it does happen in August.
True, did not think about the D3s needing to take it ASAP to apply. It’ll be a tough decision on JLs part either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Averages have been 53-57 for the last 7 years (ever since this exam was given), which seems pretty constant to me. It's possible it goes up, but a lot of schools are starting up again the end of May/June. Lots of time to forget things especially with all the make up work everyone is going to have to do. When there is so much information to know, your knowledge definitely peaks. Hopefully you're peaking right before the exam. It's interesting because a lot of medical students taking step 1 actually think their step 1 averages will go down with this pandemic.

I also don't think the CBSE is going to be given in August. I think JL will have to delay it to be fair to everyone. Those people in more populated states are 100% not going to be able to find an open test center. Unless you live in a state like Arkansas or something, you're going to have to travel pretty far to find somewhere to take the exam, which isn't fair imo.

I agree, this August’s year will most likely have an extended window for eligibility. Like what happened with one of the feb exams. They gave people 2 more weeks to sign up for the exam.

So yeah the test will likely be delayed.

Averages have been 53-57 for the last 7 years (ever since this exam was given), which seems pretty constant to me. It's possible it goes up, but a lot of schools are starting up again the end of May/June. Lots of time to forget things especially with all the make up work everyone is going to have to do. When there is so much information to know, your knowledge definitely peaks. Hopefully you're peaking right before the exam. It's interesting because a lot of medical students taking step 1 actually think their step 1 averages will go down with this pandemic.

Are schools really starting up in May and June? That seems pretty early

Yup. Although it may seem early, this virus isn’t going anywhere any time soon. A lot of the states that are opening up May 1st (Georgia, Texas etc) will have their students return end of may/early June. I have a friend at UoP that said they’re starting again end of May. I think this trend is fairly common. Dean of my school said D3s and D4s he wants back by the end of May. D2s will follow in July.

I would rather fly to Arkansas and take it in August than study another day for this exam

Reactions: 3 users
I agree, this August’s year will most likely have an extended window for eligibility. Like what happened with one of the feb exams. They gave people 2 more weeks to sign up for the exam.

So yeah the test will likely be delayed.
Do you think that application deadlines would be delayed as well if that were the case? I know the current date for the exam is already cutting things kinda close

Do you think that application deadlines would be delayed as well if that were the case? I know the current date for the exam is already cutting things kinda close

I think by delaying the exam it's going to start a domino effect. These are all major bodies that don't usually work together very much. Delaying the exam (NBME group of AAOMS) will cause less people to apply and putting strain on the match process (ADEA), this will cause strain on the individual programs/hospitals/dental schools. All these groups are relying on each other to get things done at a certain timeline, and if one falls short there is a much bigger problem than just 'delaying the exam a little bit'. If schools start up at the end of May, and Prometric gets these 'essential' exams going, I think delaying the exam will create MUCH bigger problems than people having to look a little harder for a testing center.

If stuff doesn't open up until July, I think it will be a different story.

Also, I think the CBSE is not a huge priority for companiess like Prometric due to the small group of people that it effects. So we probably won't know until last minute which will be really frustrating.

Last edited:

I'm not sure, we probably won't know until August I'm guessing-typical :|

I think by delaying the exam it's going to start a domino effect. These are all major bodies that don't usually work together very much. Delaying the exam (NBME group of AAOMS) will cause less people to apply and putting strain on the match process (ADEA), this will cause strain on the individual programs/hospitals/dental schools. All these groups are relying on each other to get things done at a certain timeline, and if one falls short there is a much bigger problem than just 'delaying the exam a little bit'. If schools start up at the end of May, and Prometric gets these 'essential' exams going, I think delaying the exam will create MUCH bigger problems than people having to look a little harder for a testing center.

If stuff doesn't open up until July, I think it will be a different story.

Also, I think the CBSE is not a huge priority for companiess like Prometric due to the small group of people that it effects. So we probably won't know until last minute which will be really frustrating.

I was thinking the same thing...postponing the exam would open up a big bag of worms. But either way, it'll be messy. Good ol' JL, he must love his job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw the email about cbse scheduling, it should be coming out soon

What email was this? I haven’t seen anything

It was from boss-man JL this morning

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 4.19.55 PM.png

Hmm I didn’t get that. But that is great news! JL coming through

I would send him a bottle of motrin for whats gonna happen during the summer lol

• Haha
We are actually going in this week for PPE training and "hand skills practice" in the SIM clinic, with our patient clinic limited reopening next week... But students aren't 'required' to go back yet, we have the option to continue learning from home and we do not have to go in to clinic yet.

Our clinic reopens for available/willing graduating seniors the 11th and upcoming D4s the 18th. General clinic reopening is June 1st. Protocols in place to limit #'s of patients/students, screening protocols for faculty/students/patients, still no in-person classes or labs. Likely working through summer until fall break to make up for lost time

I think the idea being that we want to get this year's graduates some handskills time before boards, as well as get as much clinic time in over the summer in case there is a second wave in the fall necessitating another shutdown. Granted, I'm not in charge of policy but that's the general rundown of the university's goals we've been given.

Last edited:
Our clinic reopens for available/willing graduating seniors the 11th and upcoming D4s the 18th. Mandatory (for all students) reopening is June 1st. Protocols in place to limit #'s of patients/students, screening protocols for faculty/students/patients, still no in-person classes or labs. Likely working through summer until fall break to make up for lost time

I think the idea being that we want to get this year's graduates some handskills time before boards, as well as get as much clinic time in over the summer in case there is a second wave in the fall necessitating another shutdown. Granted, I'm not in charge of policy but that's the general rundown of the university's goals we've been given.

Which school is this? Is it in the south?

FYI, while you may not be required to submit all attempts to PASS, certain programs such as Loma Linda do require you to submit all NBME attempts. Taking more than 2x is shooting yourself in the foot, imo

Not the news I was hoping for...hopefully we have a more definitive answer soon

Reactions: 1 users
FYI, while you may not be required to submit all attempts to PASS, certain programs such as Loma Linda do require you to submit all NBME attempts. Taking more than 2x is shooting yourself in the foot, imo

There are very few programs that require disclosure of all NBME attempts-in fact, Loma Linda is the only one that I know of.
It is to your benefit overall to take it 2-3x, as everyone does. You are more likely to get a test that focuses on your strong areas if you take it at least 3x.

Has anyone received a permit from NBME?

Although it is because most people don't break 70 so that means a lot of people would end up not passing :/

I don't know, I feel like at this point in time everyone who matches has at least a 70, since the test has been out for so long and dental students have learned how to study for it, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know, I feel like at this point in time everyone who matches has at least a 70, since the test has been out for so long and dental students have learned how to study for it, but maybe I'm wrong.
nah disagree. this year my school had a few people who were under 70 that matched.

Average of the CBSE has stayed between 53-57 since it first came out 8 years ago or whatever. I think thats an SDN myth.

I would also like to assume that google and SDN were around in 2014 so people back then were able to pretty easily figure out what materials to study.

Average of the CBSE has stayed between 53-57 since it first came out 8 years ago or whatever. I think thats an SDN myth.

I would also like to assume that google and SDN were around in 2014 so people back then were able to pretty easily figure out what materials to study.
Agreed, it's a myth... Heard from a PD a couple of years ago that there weren't enough applicants above 70 to fill all of the 6-year spots, let alone 4 - Guess it could have gone up a bit in the last two years, but I doubt by much

Agreed, it's a myth... Heard from a PD a couple of years ago that there weren't enough applicants above 70 to fill all of the 6-year spots, let alone 4 - Guess it could have gone up a bit in the last two years, but I doubt by much
I can't wait to see how this whole covid situation effects the Aug 2020 avg.

Hey everyone - I posted earlier of the link to the free NBME forms here. It looks like these are free until May 31st; however, if you 'purchase' them now they seem to be valid for 3 months. I would just add them all to your cart and purchase them now for free so you have them when you need them before the exam (I think they are $60 each otherwise.)

Reactions: 9 users
For those who may have missed it, the latest email sent yesterday said the permits should be out by June 1st.

Hope everyone is staying mentally sane while slaving away for this August. Wanted to reach out to you guys about a new facebook group called "Students of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery." Log into Facebook | Facebook. I help run it along with several other guys who broke 80+ on the CBSE. We offer study tips and help answer questions for anyone studying or wondering about the CBSE. Its a grind no doubt and important to be strategic. The facebook group was designed to be a centralized place for OMS discussion and geared toward helping everyone achieve that rockstar score on the test.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
In reference to John London's email. Does this mean we will all have different exams btw Aug 15 - Sept 15? Or is it going to be the same exam ?

The real question is will programs push their application deadlines...

Reactions: 5 users