August is right around the corner, is everybody super motivated to start med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not, I thought I would super motivated and ready to go... but im still sleeping to 1pm, lounging around all day, eating way to much. I was suppose to pre study anatomy and lose 20 pounds by now, but whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not, I thought I would super motivated and ready to go... but im still sleeping to 1pm, lounging around all day, eating way to much. I was suppose to pre study anatomy and lose 20 pounds by now, but whatever.
yesssssss. god i need to be busy. I am driving myself insane with free time. more time pondering life just makes me depressed. Can't wait to have something to work at and be busy with.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Good. Enjoy your summer. That's what you're supposed to do.

August totally snuck up on me. It felt like school was soooo far

Same here, though I did manage to spend all of last week (literally from the time I got up until 1-2am) cooking, portioning, and freezing meals (mainly reserves for block exams); so I guess I can check one thing off my before med school starts bucket list. But beyond that I've been MUCH more sloth like than I intended. The oh **** reality is setting in started this evening, when I received my block I anatomy syllabus - 33 pages long...

Last edited:
8/12-10/3. Pretty much all upper extremity.

Ah I see. Longitudinal curriculum I'm assuming? We covered about 150 pgs in 3 weeks for our first anatomy exam, but we have block scheduling so it was all anatomy all the time.

Good to get extremity out of the way. There are two of them, so if you mess up dissection on one side, you can still try on the other! :)

Ah I see. Longitudinal curriculum I'm assuming? We covered about 150 pgs in 3 weeks for our first anatomy exam, but we have block scheduling so it was all anatomy all the time.

Good to get extremity out of the way. There are two of them, so if you mess up dissection on one side, you can still try on the other! :)
Yup, systems based starting block II. Block I is biochem, histo relevant to anatomy, and embryology. After that everything pretty much syncs up between classes. 4/body, 2/side (dissections at separate times, so when it come to symmetrical parts the latter group will know where not to mess up).

Last edited:
I'm not, I thought I would super motivated and ready to go... but im still sleeping to 1pm, lounging around all day, eating way to much.
+1

People keep asking me if I'm excited to start, and I feel so mixed, haha. Thrilled to have the opportunity, relieved not to have to reapply, but also a bit nervous about getting back to the grind.

Reactions: 4 users
+1

People keep asking me if I'm excited to start, and I feel so mixed, haha. Thrilled to have the opportunity, relieved not to have to reapply, but also a bit nervous about getting back to the grind.

I'm sure that's very normal, but realize how many envy your position! you have the opportunity to live out your dream. enjoy the journey

Excited to learn stuff but not ready to start waking up early and doing work. Got too comfy during my year off

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't panic when you start - you will almost certainly feel overwhelmed. Use your classmates and teachers as learning tools. Don't be prideful. Don't be afraid to change things up if your studying method isn't working well.

Good luck and godpseed.

Reactions: 2 users

I was supposed to learn another programming language and get my abs back but oh well. I also sleep in far too late...it's kk, we enjoyed our time. We will be ready. Just forgive yourself and get ready for the big leagues. You wouldn't have been accepted if you weren't.

During this nice gap year, I got accepted and have been reading SDN daily. I can confidently say that I am not even slightly enthusiastic of what is to come. I'll work hard, but not going in with high expectations of getting results i want.
August 11th week is start point for me

Not even slightly? Are you in the right field:)?

^^^...referring to medical school specifically. After hearing about ridiculous study hours, MS3 clerkships, etc., I'm coming to realize med school is something I'll just have to get through properly (to learn the material of course), rather than something to be excited about. For example, a second year at my school said each lecture has about 50 slides which yield about 2 questions on an exam. He says everyone memory dumps right after. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary memorization.
I am, however, very excited to actually play the role of a physician after.

^^^...referring to medical school specifically. After hearing about ridiculous study hours, MS3 clerkships, etc., I'm coming to realize med school is something I'll just have to get through properly (to learn the material of course), rather than something to be excited about. For example, a second year at my school said each lecture has about 50 slides which yield about 2 questions on an exam. He says everyone memory dumps right after. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary memorization.
I am, however, very excited to actually play the role of a physician after.

Haha, yeah, I started reading the Allopathic and Resident forums on SDN after getting accepted.....and it's really a different world over there. Also, I used to feel like getting in to med school was this huge culmination of many years of work--so sort of an end in a way. But now I realize that it's not an end at all--it's just the beginning of 7-10 years of difficult training. I am excited to get started on the process, just really nervous too.

Reactions: 2 users
yesssssss. god i need to be busy. I am driving myself insane with free time. more time pondering life just makes me depressed. Can't wait to have something to work at and be busy with.

Oh god.

Grass is greener I suppose.

Haha, yeah, I started reading the Allopathic and Resident forums on SDN after getting accepted.....and it's really a different world over there. Also, I used to feel like getting in to med school was this huge culmination of many years of work--so sort of an end in a way. But now I realize that it's not an end at all--it's just the beginning of 7-10 years of difficult training. I am excited to get started on the process, just really nervous too.

Yes, many pre-meds (I was like this to some degree myself) become so myopically focused on getting into medical school that they forget there's an entire process on the other side of that hurdle that involves ever more ass-busting and years of toiling.

I'm also particularly worried that even after immense efforts, I won't be able to secure something I want (like an Honors grade or specialty I enjoy, for example). We'll see how it works out - I know people are much smarter in med school.

Yes, many pre-meds (I was like this to some degree myself) become so myopically focused on getting into medical school that they forget there's an entire process on the other side of that hurdle that involves ever more ass-busting and years of toiling.
I guess i was at an advantage here that practically my entire family consists of physicians. I'm well aware of particular challenges.

I guess i was at an advantage here that practically my entire family consists of physicians. I'm well aware of particular challenges.

Yeah, having friends in residency right now you realize, "Wow. This is going to be a long ride."

That said, I could not be more excited to get started.

I'm actually really excited to start school. I traveled through Europe for the past month which was incredible, got in off of a waitlist at one of my top choices while away, and now get to relax at home for a full week and hang with friends and family (including my dog) before driving up for orientation. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better schedule leading up to this

Also, taking a gap year working for AmeriCorps and working as an mcat instructor certainly got my schedule in order - also saw how messed up the health care system is day in and day out but I'm still excited to start!!