August PCAT scores report here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FixLittlePeople

Admitted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so how did you do? anyone else get their scores already?
i got:

verbal 55%
biology 96%
readin 67%
math 93%
chemistry 82%
composite 88%

writing 3.0 for both

so how did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been stalking our mail-lady for the past few days and my scores are finally here. This is my second time taking but opted for the no score in June. I am pretty happy with my scores. :banana:

Verbal 433 / 91
Biology 428 / 87
Reading 434 / 92
Quant. 415 / 76
Chem 434 / 91
Comp 429 / 92

I felt good on all sections except math and I am suprised I was able to pull out a 76. Whewwww. I feel 10 times lighter now that this is over.

congrats on that good score man... i could only hope to have a 76 in the math section... it pretty much obliterated my face off!!! congrats, man!!!

Weird: the section that I THOUGHT gave me the smallest bit of grief was actually my worst score.

Writing 3.0/3.0

Verbal - 428 - 87
Biology - 404 - 60 :eek::smuggrin::(:mad::scared:
Reading - 427 - 86 <-- could've done better!
Quant - 449 - 96
Chemistry - 425 - 85

Composite - 427 - 91 :rolleyes::D phew.

that damn bio section

Members don't see this ad :)
verbal ability 83
biology 90
reading comprehension 48
quantitative ability 95
chemisty 98
Composite 93

For those who score around 50 percentile, do not give up!!!! I scored pretty bad my first time!!! Then I did a lot of practice exams under time condition over the summmer, and my composite increases to a 93. I think everyone studies differently; for me, working problems help me a lot!!!! So try to find out how you best study, and use that techinique to approach your studying!!! I use this site to find out how i study best!!
http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=questionnaire

[edit] Had issues with the Reading passages & the questions after them - maybe my attitude got me in trouble on that part.

Just the opposite for Quantitative - it was only test strategy & lots of fast, lucky guesses that got me thru that. Might have answered 20 questions correctly plus random 1/4 of all the answers I just scribbled in "B" because I had no idea. 50 minutes at the very end of the test is not enough unless you're really on top of all your algebra, trig, and especially calculus.

Mine:
Verbal 458 / 98
Biology 478 / 99
Reading 416 / 74
Quant. 415 / 76
Chem 434 / 91
Comp 440 / 97

Let me set the stage a bit.....
I just got my PCAT score. I really did not know what to expect. I thought I had done well in the verbal and then Bio and Chem I had to guess on about 4-5, maybe a few more and reading was going really well until he said 5 minutes and I had just started the second to last passage. I panicked and just looked at the questions and answered without really looking at the passage. That threw me off and for the Quant (which is my weakest since I did not do any more math after 10th grade in 1979) I was at number 28 when he said 5 minutes and of course major panic at that point. I left the last 6-8 questions unanswered. I was quite despondent since I have never taken precalc or calc and I tried to learn as much as I could in July and August by doing practice problems in Math. But the calc in the test was nothing like the derivatives I had learned. Anyway, I just kept hoping to get at least a 80 composite because the average for U of MN is 84. So here is my score:

Verbal ability 475/99
Biology 434/90
Read Comp 407/61 I really missed the timing on this one.
Quantatative 403/59 I left 6-8 blank and guessed on 10-15
Chemistry 434/91

Composite 431/93
Writing 3.0/3.0 mean 2.89/2.83 (what does the mean mean here?)

I have a BS in Chemsitry/Biochemistry and a MS in Biochemistry but that is from 20 years ago so while it was stuff I once knew, I really had to look at it again carefully. I focused the most on Math so I am relieved that I at least got a 59 because when I started Math in July, I had to learn Algebra all over again. Sorry about the long post but I am so relieved that I want to let everyone know to keep their hopes up. Even if you think you did badly, the score may surprise you. I read the Kaplan 2008/2009 edition which is good for Biology, basic Chemistry but definitely not for Math, organic bio and microbiology. I borrowed organic, precalc, calc, microbiology and algebra books from the library and kept renewing them. Then I also did all five tests in Cliff's. I never could do the math in time and always took twice as long. In retrospect, I should've practiced timing the reading too. Hope it helps. I bought Pcatprofessor access but hardly used it.
Thank goodness I cancelled my Oct registration yesterday because I just have not studied since.

I was a bit nervous but i am very excited that i did this well

Chem 82
Verbal 99
Bio 96
Reading 95
Quantative 95

comp 98

so, if everyone is getting 80's and 90's where are all the people that did not fair so well...come one everyone, report your scores!

Just got mine in..

For background I recieved a B.a. in Marine Bio 10 years ago but have been working in biochem drug discovery research ever since (mainly in anti-infectives which helped in the bio section with all the micro questions), so I've stayed pretty current in bio and chem.

Verbal 475 99
Biology 478 99
Reading 486 99
Quantitative 449 96
Chemistry 445 95
Composite 467 99 :D

Writing 3.0/3.5

Actually hoped to do a bit better on the writing, but still pleased. I was thinking I would need to retake in October but obviously not.

For studying I used Schaums general and organic chemistry outlines (great book, I would highly recommend it), PCAT Audio learn (used it for the general biology review), and the Kaplan course. I agree the Kaplan material isn't perfect but it helped with getting the timing down and feeling like I'd prepared enough.. Honestly I'm surprised the quantitative score was as high as it was, I definitely wasn't confident about that section.

This forum has made me confused more than anything else. I'm not sure whether to be satisfied with these scores, but nevertheless, I am glad I don't need to retake the test.

Verbal……96
Bio…………87
Reading…81
Math………81
Chem.……87

Composite: 92

They're pretty mediocre scores and more or less met my expectations, except for math which is a miracle. I must have guessed well. I guess I'm just under the impression that it would have been better to see the ninety in one or both of the sciences rather than in verbal and that's probably true. The 81s are fine, but I am not sure about competitive, and since my GPA is middle-of-the-road that's what I was shooting for overall. I also have a hard time taking the composite seriously because it seems from this forum like a good score can come from any random combination of numbers. Bah! I don't know what to think.

The end.

I don't understand YOU people!! There are 92% of the people who scored A LOT lower then that:mad:...like me for example! So all of those who scored high up there, don't go around complaining because you got a 70 in one section!

(sorry guys, just got the scores and im pissed)

I hear ya... My composite was fine, but man, did I screw up on the bio and chem sections... Too bad they're the ones that are important. :(

I hear ya... My composite was fine, but man, did I screw up on the bio and chem sections... Too bad they're the ones that are important. :(

I did fairly well on both bio and chem but the composition just popps out of the page. That is the first thing schools look at, the composition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand YOU people!! There are 92% of the people who scored A LOT lower then that:mad:...like me for example! So all of those who scored high up there, don't go around complaining because you got a 70 in one section!

(sorry guys, just got the scores and im pissed)

I understand what you're saying and can totally sympathize with you! But I can also understand both sides of the picture. The whole pharmacy school application process is very competetive, continues to become even more competetive, and most of us on this board are perfectionists. So, we expect the best from ourselves and tend to be very hard on ourselves when we don't meet a particular standard. Sorry you're unhappy with your score. :(

Folks, who didn't do well on the test this time don't be upset. Study hard for the October test and it will be paid off. I am a second time taker and English is my second language. Here is my score progress for June and August:

June

Verbal 392/38
Bio 425/84
Reading 369/11
Math 415/76
Chem 427/87
Composite 406/63

August

Verbal 428/87 (Yey! :))
Bio 41/94 ( Yey! took all pre-req)
Reading 395/42 (had no time to read the last passage)
Math 443/95 (have no idea how it happened)
Chem 425/85 (MS in Chemistry 4 years ago)
Composite 426/90

Verbal 87
Bio 94
Reading 74
Quantitative 91 (I still can't believe this one)
Chem 91
Writing 3/3
Composite 93

Holy ****! I am completely surprised by my test score. I had a really bad week and had barely sleeped that week. I felt so unprepared because I didn't study enough and felt I guessed a lot, especially on quantitative. I honestly checked the sheet about 10x because I thought I read it wrong. I haven't been this happy in a long time!

One person asked about the mean scores next to the writing score; I think that is what people who took that test got on average for the section. And I agree anyone who thinks scoring in the 90s or 80s is mediocre is way too much of a perfectionist. Those are really competitive scores!

Verbal 79
Biology 69 (dissappointing cause I'm an MCB major)
Reading 61
Quantative 95
Chemistry 87

Composite 86

Essays:

Conventional 4.0
Problem Solving 3.0

First time taking it. I found this forum while I was studying over the summer and thought that it was very helpful. If it helps anyone here is my background and what I did to study for the test.

Currently a senior studying Molecular and Cellular Biology at the University of Arizona.

Study habits: Read through Kaplans 2008 PCAT prep book for 2 months an hour each night. I would recommend another book for the ochem section though cause this one basically didn't have anything on reactions. Vocab words were basically from an old GRE book I had, although that didnt help me much on the test. Took full practice exam a day before the actual PCAT.

I don't know if this'll help anyone b/c everyone's study habit is different. I for one am better at short term memorization. Also, I found relying subconsciously on my memory helped. Don't second guess yourself.

Thanks CaliCPhT :)
Actually, I was crying with joy when I got the score. My husband was making fun of me that I was not that happy on our wedding day as I was today. :laugh:

Verbal ability 45
Biology 60
Reading 30 (opp??)
Maths: 89
Chem 99
Composite 80

English is my second language so that i did poorly on verbal and reading section. I am applying to Nova. My GPA is 3.89.

This is my first time and I am very happy :D with my scores except for reading:eek:. I did expect a low score in reading and Math, but was surprised at my math score. Anyways here are my scores...

Verbal 79 :thumbup:
Biology 96 :thumbup:
Reading 35 :)o)
Quantitative 93 :)thumbup:)
Chemistry 95 :thumbup:

Composite 91 :thumbup:
Writing 3/3.5 :thumbup:

I am very happy with my scores. For all October PCAT-ers, Practice doing many practice tests under timed condition. I thought reading would be a very easy section, so I never prepared for it. Honestly on the exam I couldn't take the stress of reading those passages and answering. I could do nothing but randomly choose answers just to finish the reading section. Chemistry section didn't have many calculations and had very basic organic questions. Biology section was ok except for a few weird microbiology questions. Quantitative section had some weird calculus questions, one vector and very few statistics questions(not sure how many). For the quantitative section the mistake I did was, for some questions where I had to do long calculations I took more time, instead of finishing the easier ones first. Don't do that.....just leave those and do the easier ones first. Verbal was ok for me. English is my second language. I am really happy with my verbal score. :luck:Good Luck to all October PCAT-ers and Congratulations to all August PCAT-ers.

Hey Everybody, here are my scores.

Verbal 447 96
Biology 419 78
Reading 416 74
Quant. 406 64
Chem. 458 98
Comp 429 92

Writing 3/3

just saw my scores...not happy at all not posting them.... i hate life right now...im gona cry about it...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Quant was no good and writing can be better but overall not too bad

Verbal 99 / 475
Bio 96 / 449
Chem 93 / 435
Reading 74 / 416 (irritated about this)
Quant 44 / 394 (went horribly awry)

Comp 95 / 435

Writing 2/3 (kind of went blank on this section, so I can't complain b/c it seemed much worse at the time... still not good)

Think, don’t give up. I understand your pain but you have to collect yourself and study for October test. Look, if we foreigners could do it you can make it as well. :)
Every day from now on try to find a couple hours you can dedicate to studying. I started three weeks before the August test. First week I was doing practice tests only for verbal and reading (got bunch of SAT and GRE books from Public library). 2nd and 3rd week I was testing myself on all sections (one guy from this forum provided me with Kaplan practice tests).
Believe in yourself and you CAN do it :thumbup:

This is my first time and I am very happy :D with my scores except for reading:eek:. I did expect a low score in reading and Math, but was surprised at my math score. Anyways here are my scores...

Verbal 79 :thumbup:
Biology 96 :thumbup:
Reading 35 :)o)
Quantitative 93 :)thumbup:)
Chemistry 95 :thumbup:

Composite 91 :thumbup:
Writing 3/3.5 :thumbup:

I am very happy with my scores. For all October PCAT-ers, Practice doing many practice tests under timed condition. I thought reading would be a very easy section, so I never prepared for it. Honestly on the exam I couldn't take the stress of reading those passages and answering. I could do nothing but randomly choose answers just to finish the reading section. Chemistry section didn't have many calculations and had very basic organic questions. Biology section was ok except for a few weird microbiology questions. Quantitative section had some weird calculus questions, one vector and very few statistics questions(not sure how many). For the quantitative section the mistake I did was, for some questions where I had to do long calculations I took more time, instead of finishing the easier ones first. Don't do that.....just leave those and do the easier ones first. Verbal was ok for me. English is my second language. I am really happy with my verbal score. :luck:Good Luck to all October PCAT-ers and Congratulations to all August PCAT-ers.

Hi Choko,

Will you retake the PCAT because of your reading score? I am in the same situation with you and considering to retake at Oct.

Just wanted to share and thank you all for the advice and information I have read here.

Verbal 428 / 87%
Biology 434 / 90%
Reading 434 / 92%
Quant 434 / 91%
Chemistry 445 / 95%
Composite 435 / 95%

Writing 3.0/3.0

:D

I'm posting my scores in appreciation to all those who've done the same before me. They've given me an idea of what to expect, so hopefully this will benefit someone else reading this post the same way.

Verbal 428/87
Bio 419/78
Reading Comp 421/81
Quantitative Ability 438/93
Chemistry 414/74

Composite 424/88

Writing - 2/3.5

Quite frankly, I don't know what to think of my scores since it seems like the average of everyone that has posted here so far probably amount something like a 94. I've already signed up for the next exam. Should I take it or are these scores not good enough? I was not a great student in college so I was hoping this exam would help to show that I'm academically competent and competitive. I thought I did great before I came here to post my scores. With all these 99's and 90+, what exactly is a competitive PCAT score?

Also, if its too late to cancel my October exam, will the pharmacy schools put it against me that I was a no show?

All you have to do is KNOW that you will do well. You know that you are a very bright and driven person. Heck, you wouldn't be looking into pharmacy as a career, if you weren't.

Don't let a PCAT score bring you down. If you need to re-take the test, then do it. But remember, the PCAT score isn't the only thing that pharmacy schools are using to evaluate candidates. Letters of Reference, pharmacy experience, GPA, extracurricular activities, interview, etc are all important as well.

You can do it THINK. Just know that you have people like me, and the rest of the online community here to support you. Let us know what you need help with, and we'll give you as much support as possible.

Mweisser

I have been observing posts here for awhile... here are my scores...
Received my scores today...

Verbal 99%
Biology 94%
Reading Comp 98%
Quantitative 97%
Chemistry 98%

Composite 99%

I couldnt be more pleased... I had so much pent-up emotion, I started crying when I saw my scores!

I diligantly prepared for the exam, therefore I am happy to see that the hard work paid off. I took the Kaplan class, although, like others, I felt the preparation was geared more towards the MCAT. I also purchased all the study materials I could get my hands on (after all, it is worth it), including Barrons and Cliff notes. In the areas I felt weak on, I reviewed textbooks. I graduated in 1999 and have been in the pharmaceutical manufacturing (QC) field since, so I was rusty on some of the basics. The key is to review what you dont know and practice your timing as much as possible. There are no tricks... hard work pays off.

Still have to get accepted... no celebrations until I have an acceptance letter in hand!

Got my scores today, We were on our way to my sisters wedding when my wife spotted the mailman, she made me stop so she could ask if we could get our mail right then and there and the mailman was cool about it. I read my scores while driving.

Verbal - 96
Bio - 96
Reading - 92
Quant - 68
Chem - 85
Comp - 94

Writing 3.0/3.5

I was very surprised, I had no idea what to expect since it was my first time taking the test and I seemed to only remember all the questions I didnt know. I was so stressed waiting. Very glad its over.

I seem to discover that ppl from Arizona are pretty smart....they all have 90+ scores.:eek:

P.S. I am not form AZ. DUn get me biased.

Hi Choko,

Will you retake the PCAT because of your reading score? I am in the same situation with you and considering to retake at Oct.

I am applying to Creighton's distance based program. Creighton needs atleast a 60 in each of the 5 sections on PCAT. So I am planning to take it again in October.

Give me tips and what books to use.

Folks, who didn't do well on the test this time don't be upset. Study hard for the October test and it will be paid off. I am a second time taker and English is my second language. Here is my score progress for June and August:

June

Verbal 392/38
Bio 425/84
Reading 369/11
Math 415/76
Chem 427/87
Composite 406/63

August

Verbal 428/87 (Yey! :))
Bio 41/94 ( Yey! took all pre-req)
Reading 395/42 (had no time to read the last passage)
Math 443/95 (have no idea how it happened)
Chem 425/85 (MS in Chemistry 4 years ago)
Composite 426/90

Think, don’t give up. I understand your pain but you have to collect yourself and study for October test. Look, if we foreigners could do it you can make it as well. :)
Every day from now on try to find a couple hours you can dedicate to studying. I started three weeks before the August test. First week I was doing practice tests only for verbal and reading (got bunch of SAT and GRE books from Public library). 2nd and 3rd week I was testing myself on all sections (one guy from this forum provided me with Kaplan practice tests).
Believe in yourself and you CAN do it :thumbup:

hey thanx alot for encouragement
i dont know... it sucks i wasted so much money and time for this exam..im so bumbed out
my reading and verbal killed me ( english is third language)
those f**ing relations were so tough...not one hard word on the whole exam but the realtions in the analogies were crazy...
chem and bio math i did goood ...i dont even know how to study for bio and reading...i am reading articles and books to get my speed faster..
its only 20 days left till October exam :(

All you have to do is KNOW that you will do well. You know that you are a very bright and driven person. Heck, you wouldn't be looking into pharmacy as a career, if you weren't.

Don't let a PCAT score bring you down. If you need to re-take the test, then do it. But remember, the PCAT score isn't the only thing that pharmacy schools are using to evaluate candidates. Letters of Reference, pharmacy experience, GPA, extracurricular activities, interview, etc are all important as well.

You can do it THINK. Just know that you have people like me, and the rest of the online community here to support you. Let us know what you need help with, and we'll give you as much support as possible.

Mweisser

hey thankyou soo much...its so embarrassing though..i didnt tell anyone my scores and everyone knows i took it and they wanna know the scores

ARGH...I am so shocked and disappointed!

Verbal - 79
Bio - 90
Reading - 48
Quant - 87
Chem - 44
Comp - 76

Writing 3.0/?

I can't believe I dropped Chemistry from a 83 to a 44 and Reading from a 62 to a 48! But of course, I also had my sackpack stolen from me at the test site which bothered me for the entire second part of the exam, not to mention the test site sucked really really bad. Looks like I'll be taking it again in Jan.

ARGH...I am so shocked and disappointed!

Verbal - 79
Bio - 90
Reading - 48
Quant - 87
Chem - 44
Comp - 76

Writing 3.0/?

I can't believe I dropped Chemistry from a 83 to a 44 and Reading from a 62 to a 48! But of course, I also had my sackpack stolen from me at the test site which bothered me for the entire second part of the exam, not to mention the test site sucked really really bad. Looks like I'll be taking it again in Jan.

Why not October? There's still time for late registration.

You shouldn't have to. The score report provides that.

Do you not have that?

Just opened the letter, first time taker here and I am pretty happy:

Verbal-65
Biology-78
Reading-81
Quantitative-76 (don't know how i managed that)
Chemistry-93

Composite-84

Writing-3/3

Verbal is low, but that is ok with me.

Your score report seems to be different from most but I compiled a list of all the composite scaled scores reported here and their percentile rank. Hopefully yours is somewhere in there or at least close enough that you can estimate.

467/99
465/99
447/99
440/97
436/96
435/95
433/94
431/93
430/93
429/92
427/91
426/90
424/88
423/87
420/84
406/63

I may have missed a few so if others want to fill in the rest.

just saw my scores...not happy at all not posting them.... i hate life right now...im gona cry about it...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Listen: I got 39% on the first Pcat because I did not study anything. Just took it to know what is it. I took Pcat on AUG and I got 80%. See? I only study for 2 weeks at this time. U can do it. Do not give up. Plus, English is my second language and just came to America for 4 years. I can do it, you can do it.

I would take it in October, but I'd like to get a 99 on each section seeing how easy this test is supposed to be. Anything less is just a joke.