AVC c/o 2017!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Escalla

For all AVC c/o 2017 applicants, current students and SDN'ers looking at applying in the future. :thumbup:

Good luck guys!!!! :luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! You from Alberta? Did you get Atlantic Canada residency and apply to AVC already or are you planning on moving? I'm a fellow Canadian (outside of the Maritimes) and wish I could apply here directly :(

BSc Honours in Biology. NS resident. Third time applicant. 80.8 pre-req average. GRE percentile is around 44% (after taking it twice). I am currently not in school and working as a lab technician in an environmental testing lab.

I am debating whether to go back in the fall and upgrade my Chemistry classes. One will have expired by next application cycle because it will be older than 6 years. Chemistry is the lowest section of my application. I am thinking of doing my upgrades at Dalhousie because they likely have better scheduling than smaller universities. I have only ever attended small universities so it will be different.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all! As always, my PM box is open if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them!

Trem, I thought I'd point out that on the AVC application page, they mention changes coming to the process for August 2013. So if this year is a strike out, maybe the changes for next year's cycle might benefit you? We can hope!

Heck ya!

3rd time NB applicant. Waitlisted last year. Currently doing my first year Bachelor of Education to become a high school math and science teacher. I'm loving the program but so far my experiences actually teaching are just "meh".

I was able to raise my GRE score by 21% putting me somewhere in the 60's and I increased my GPA by 1.5% to about an 82 - 82.5%.

We'll see what happens!

Last edited:
It could go the other way, but I hope not! Fingers crossed that they get rid of the province bias hahaha. And that they do not let any more people in like Ky's roomie :S

I am still quite conflicted. I am sill wondering if I can handle the rigors of vet school if I ever get in. But, plenty of people like me get in and do fine, so I don't know.

Whatever happens, at least I have good job and I am paying down my $80 000 in loans.

Last edited:
Hey! You from Alberta? Did you get Atlantic Canada residency and apply to AVC already or are you planning on moving? I'm a fellow Canadian (outside of the Maritimes) and wish I could apply here directly :(

Hey! Yes, I'm from Alberta. I didn't apply to AVC though. I just created the thread since others seemed hesitant. :) Where are you from?

Yay 2017 thread! Feel free to ask me any questions about the application, interview, or first year. Good luck to everyone :luck:

Urgh.
I wonder if Jack will know anything about admission changes.

I want to enroll in undergrad classes next year and re-take expired courses. If they get rid of the expiry, I am out of luck. If they make grad-level courses count, I want to start looking into thesis supervisors (which I should do now) instead of taking undergrad courses. If the admissions requirements make it hopeless for me, I may apply to the vet tech program (apps are due in February)

I do not want to spend another year in a stasis.

Hey guys!! I'm in 2nd year pre-vet at the Dal AC (formerly NSAC). First time NB applicant with 88% pre-req av. and am writing my GRE Thursday (late I know but Jack said it was OK to do it as long as they get it before March 1st).
Good luck to everyone else applying and hoping I get to meet some of you at AVC :)

Welcome to SDN! Good luck with your application and your GRE.

Hey Everyone! Second time applicant from NS, last year I was wait listed as well. My GPA sits at 87.4%. I am currently studying to retake the GRE and this past summer I started a new job working at the city pound in my area where I am in charge of the medical side of the shelter. It has really opened up my eyes to a totally different side of veterinary medicine that I never knew existed! Good luck to everyone this cycle :D:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck Ellie! Maybe this will be our year!

Good luck everyone!

Just found out that my courses do not start to expire until 2014. What to do... I was going to write the GRE next month before the deadline. Should I hold off on that...?? I am also wondering if I should move on to Plan B. I might apply to the vet tech program for the heck of it. I wanted to do a Masters, but my prospective supervisors are in BC and Alberta. Maybe I should just continue working to pay of my debt.

Hi everyone..
Has anyone gotten anything from AVC recently? I saw that a few received interview invites, but I haven't heard a peep.
Any insight into how the admissions process works up there?

I haven't heard anything either. The original email I received from them in November said they would send out interview invites before Christmas, and then send a second round of invites if people declined their interviews and spaces opened up.

I didn't get an interview invite so I'm reeeeaaalllyyyy hoping there will be a lot of spaces open in the second round!

Just received an interview invite!! Good luck to everyone still waiting =)

Does anyone have an idea of the interview questions I may encounter? Thanks!

Just received an interview invite!! Good luck to everyone still waiting =)

Does anyone have an idea of the interview questions I may encounter? Thanks!

Their interviews are set up in a "behavioral" style. They'll say "tell me about a time when____". I prepared using the questions on SDN under Interview Prep. Almost all of the questions they asked were listed there.

Their interviews are set up in a "behavioral" style. They'll say "tell me about a time when____". I prepared using the questions on SDN under Interview Prep. Almost all of the questions they asked were listed there.

Thanks for your help :) I am so excited! I've heard nothing but amazing things about UPEI!

Sure! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about anything. (I'm assuming you're from the US since Canadian invites don't go out until later.)

I am from the US =) I will definitely take you up on that offer, thanks again for being so helpful

Getting nervous! My interviews on wednesday I was waitlisted last year so I'm hoping this year is the year! :)

To all of us waitlisters, this is our year! A special good luck to daydreamer03 and Ellie1818.

Anyone have any tips on how to do well in the interview? Behavioral questions are a struggle for me so I'm really worried I'm going to mess up :confused:

Anyone have any tips on how to do well in the interview? Behavioral questions are a struggle for me so I'm really worried I'm going to mess up :confused:

I read the interview prep questions on SDN and brainstormed some answers as well as practiced answering the questions out loud. Not to sound mechanical or forced, but to get used to talking about myself and saying what I wanted to say smoothly.

I did the same as redhead. I wrote down key points for each scenario that I wanted to touch on, and practiced in the mirror. I didn't write full sentences because I didn't want to sound rehearsed. A good method I found is the STAR method - you cover what the Situation was, the Task you had to complete, the Action you took to complete that task and the Result. It's a good way to make sure you cover all the necessary details. As another key point: if you really can't think of an answer, you can pass. You won't be penalized. I wouldn't pass like 4 questions in a row mind you, but you can pass 1 or 2.

Somebody said on the interview feedback page that you can't talk about an experience more than once in answering your questions. Does anyone know if this is typically true in AVC's interviews/is still true? (That comment was written a few years ago). Not being able to draw from a major/important experience to answer a second or third question if necessary will make this much more difficult and will affect how I do my prep...

Somebody said on the interview feedback page that you can't talk about an experience more than once in answering your questions. Does anyone know if this is typically true in AVC's interviews/is still true? (That comment was written a few years ago). Not being able to draw from a major/important experience to answer a second or third question if necessary will make this much more difficult and will affect how I do my prep...

As I said above, you can pass on questions if you're worried about using an experience twice. I don't think I would use an experience twice, because if you've already covered it in detail for the first thing, how does it apply/what else could you say about it the second time? I mean, if you had a job/organization you were with or something, you could use more than one thing that happened during that time - ex: you worked for XYZ company, so for one question, you opt to talk about how you got the boss of XYZ to trust you, and for another question, you talk about a project you completed while working at XYZ company. That would be all right. This is why I advocate looking at the interview feedback questions here ahead of time and coming up with various things so you're not caught off guard.

As I said above, you can pass on questions if you're worried about using an experience twice. I don't think I would use an experience twice, because if you've already covered it in detail for the first thing, how does it apply/what else could you say about it the second time? I mean, if you had a job/organization you were with or something, you could use more than one thing that happened during that time - ex: you worked for XYZ company, so for one question, you opt to talk about how you got the boss of XYZ to trust you, and for another question, you talk about a project you completed while working at XYZ company. That would be all right. This is why I advocate looking at the interview feedback questions here ahead of time and coming up with various things so you're not caught off guard.

Ah thanks. I was taking it to mean that if you talked about one aspect of XYZ company to answer one question, you couldn't use any other aspects of XYZ company to answer any other questions. I thought that was a little ridiculous, because one in depth job/experience you've had can have multiple facets to it such as interpersonal/communication skills examples, problem solving/goal setting examples, etc. that could represent your best possible examples for those relevant questions. I wouldn't talk about one job the whole interview, but being able to touch on multiple aspects of it through multiple questions would be nice... and a lot easier than worrying about using my most interesting job too early and not having it available to answer a better question later.

Ah thanks. I was taking it to mean that if you talked about one aspect of XYZ company to answer one question, you couldn't use any other aspects of XYZ company to answer any other questions. I thought that was a little ridiculous, because one in depth job/experience you've had can have multiple facets to it such as interpersonal/communication skills examples, problem solving/goal setting examples, etc. that could represent your best possible examples for those relevant questions. I wouldn't talk about one job the whole interview, but being able to touch on multiple aspects of it through multiple questions would be nice... and a lot easier than worrying about using my most interesting job too early and not having it available to answer a better question later.

Just make sure to have other meaningful experiences that you can talk about. My interviewers reminded me that I could use non-animal experiences too, since I guess I only talked about animal-related stuff, but I stuck to it because those were my best examples. I'd think you can use one experience to answer two questions safely, but make an effort to talk about your other experiences too.

Flying up tomorrow for my interview on Thursday. If any current vet students (especially large animal) would be free tomorrow night I'd love to buy you a drink and pick your brain. Ohio State has a program where you get to stay with current students and I found that to be more useful than student panels. Talking to 1-2 students in an informal situation brings out some of the non-academic dynamics that are also important to me in choosing a program.

Thanks,
Matt

Good luck to the US students with interviews!

People who have interviewed: is it similar to a job interview? I was asked a lot of behaviour-based questions for the last job I got. Maybe it won't be as nerve-wracking if you have realized you have done a similar interview before :D

Flying up tomorrow for my interview on Thursday. If any current vet students (especially large animal) would be free tomorrow night I'd love to buy you a drink and pick your brain. Ohio State has a program where you get to stay with current students and I found that to be more useful than student panels. Talking to 1-2 students in an informal situation brings out some of the non-academic dynamics that are also important to me in choosing a program.

Thanks,
Matt

I sent you a PM :)

For those of you that had an interview, was one of your interviewers Andrea Matthews? I am trying to find her contact information. It's not available online, and I'm never free to call during UPEI's business hours because of the 4-hr time difference...

People who have interviewed: is it similar to a job interview? I was asked a lot of behaviour-based questions for the last job I got. Maybe it won't be as nerve-wracking if you have realized you have done a similar interview before :D

I've had a few job interviews with behavioural questions, and yes, it was very similar. Though the school interviewers definitely wanted more detail than the job interviewers did.

Ellsworth/Matt: I swear to you, it's not normally this cold in January. Cold yes, but the average is more like -4, rather than the -20-something with a -30-something windchill that you were treated to. I hope you thaw out on the flight home. I probably saw you today. I saw the group going past anyway. I was one of the chicks hanging out by the fish tanks discussing reticulocytes in horses. :laugh:

Thanks! Mostly thawed, although not home yet. I had an interview today at VMRCVM and got snowed in =/.

I also agree that it is similar to a job interview but with more specifics and details. Of 5 interviews over the past 2 years AVC is the friendliest I've been too. I really appreciate how they only interview a few people each day, it's so much more personal than any other school I have visited.

Thanks! Mostly thawed, although not home yet. I had an interview today at VMRCVM and got snowed in =/.

I also agree that it is similar to a job interview but with more specifics and details. Of 5 interviews over the past 2 years AVC is the friendliest I've been too. I really appreciate how they only interview a few people each day, it's so much more personal than any other school I have visited.

Hope the rest of your interviews go well too! :)

Little late on my interview feedback but it was the most relaxing interview! Everyone is super nice and it felt more like a conversation than an interview :) Goodluck to everyone else interviewing and the questions on here were very helpful :)

Rumour has it that they are making residency changes 2 years from the date of application instead of one.

:/

Rumour has it that they are making residency changes 2 years from the date of application instead of one.

:/

Ugh that would be unfortunate. I thought they were setting a minimum for the bio requirements (70 or higher for the application to be consider)? Maybe several changes will be made; I haven't really heard anything.

The minimum of 70 in the required sciences went into effect this year.

I just heard this information second-hand from an agricultural college student, so I won't put much stock into it yet.

I did email Jack. He said he was not aware of any changes being made to the academic portion at this time. I was thinking of going to school in the fall and significant changes could have had an impact on what I was choosing to do.

I am anticipating a rejection for obvious reasons (my average for my province). I have to figure out what the heck is wrong with my body and learning how to manage it before I start working towards my goal again.

Little late on my interview feedback but it was the most relaxing interview! Everyone is super nice and it felt more like a conversation than an interview :) Goodluck to everyone else interviewing and the questions on here were very helpful :)

So great to hear, congrats and I wish you the best!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1. Did they mention when you might hear back about a final decision? I'm a US applicant and my interview is feb 7th and I am wondering when I will know for sure...
2. Did they ask you any ethics questions? Any "why do you want to be a veterinarian" questions? I know it's behavioral but my advisor said to be prepared to be asked anything
3. How many people interviewed you?

Thanks! :)

So great to hear, congrats and I wish you the best!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1. Did they mention when you might hear back about a final decision? I'm a US applicant and my interview is feb 7th and I am wondering when I will know for sure...
2. Did they ask you any ethics questions? Any "why do you want to be a veterinarian" questions? I know it's behavioral but my advisor said to be prepared to be asked anything

Thanks! :)

I know I'm not the person you quoted, but I have answers :)

1. I interviewed at the beginning of March and heard back like two weeks later. I was offered an early acceptance, though, so I'm not sure when "normal" acceptances were given out. If you search the forum for the official acceptances threads, you can get an idea of when other people heard back and when they interviewed.
2. When I was interviewed, there were no ethics questions, only behavioral ("tell us about a time when...").
3. You're interviewed by three people.

I very much appreciate the reply, thank you =)
...and congrats getting into AVC! I've heard nothing but great things about AVC and I've got my heart set on their vet school :xf::xf:

2. I also never got any ethics or "why do you want to be a vet?" questions. Straight behavioural. They might ask you a little about yourself, but they don't write that stuff down, it's mostly just conversational. The only answers they write down are you behavioural question answers.
3. It's always 3 as far as I know. I've never heard differently from that.

2. I also never got any ethics or "why do you want to be a vet?" questions. Straight behavioural. They might ask you a little about yourself, but they don't write that stuff down, it's mostly just conversational. The only answers they write down are you behavioural question answers.
3. It's always 3 as far as I know. I've never heard differently from that.

2. I had all behavioral questions.
3. I had only 2 interviewers but I interviewed in June so it was probably a scheduling issue