AVC C/O 2018 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll get a lab coat when you come (blue coat) though you can buy cheap blue coats from the laundry service. Stethoscope you don't need right away but it'll be cheaper in the US. You should get a list of textbooks when you get your next package which will probably go out later this month when the Canadian applicants get their acceptances. The only books you REALLY need are Saunders' vet dictionary and the anatomy dissection text Evans/de Lahunta. There is a course registration form you sign that they'll send you, but you literally just sign it and send it back since there's no electives.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for answering all my questions! I think I might actually do what Blackdog mentioned since a Canadian plan is only$3 more to add to my existing plan! Also I notice in the handbook they only mention a dissection kit,boots,lab coat, stethescope,penlight ,coveralls and thermometer. Will we be getting a formal textbook list later on? And are there any other things you would suggest buying in the U.S.? Also for first year do we actually have to register for classes or are they already pre-set since we don't have electives?

Don't buy your textbooks new, it's pointless. Upper years will sell you everything you need/want much cheaper - they'll start posting things on the AVC Book Exchange facebook page once the start of the semester gets closer. They also usually do a book sale on the first or second day of class, although by that time most people have already sold their stuff. The only book you need right away is the dissection book for anatomy, which you'll be required to have with you for your first anatomy lab, so I recommend arranging with an upper year to buy it from them on or before the first day. Shameless plug: I have first year textbooks that I'll be looking to sell if you want to make your arrangements early. ;)

You'll also need a dissection kit and gloves for the first day of anatomy, but you can get those cheap at the UPEI bookstore so I would wait until you arrive. They're like $13 each if I remember correctly.

As Coquette said, you'll get your blue lab coat at the blue coat ceremony before classes start. It's nicely embroidered with your class year and the CVMA crest, so a lot of people like to use that as their "clean" coat for the teaching hospital and buy a separate blue coat for anatomy labs/clinical orientation, etc. I HIGHLY recommend waiting until you get to campus and checking out the student laundry for whatever lab coats, scrubs, or coveralls you need. They're all used (usually sold to the laundry service by graduating 4th years) but a lot of them are in excellent condition and they are much cheaper than anything you could possibly buy new. Coveralls sell for $20, lab coats and scrub sets for $15, iirc. I paid $50 for a new pair of coveralls in the States, then got a perfectly good pair for $20 at the student laundry, so I really wish I had waited and saved myself some money. From what I've heard, buying that stuff new in Canada is roughly the same cost as it would be in the US, so you don't have anything to lose by waiting.

We didn't use stethoscopes, penlights, or thermometers at all in first year. You need them more for clinical orientation in first semester second year, so I would wait on those. Stethoscopes are much cheaper and easier to buy in the US, so asking for one for Christmas or ordering it while you're home on break is a good idea. I bought mine used relatively cheap from one of the clinicians in the teaching hospital.

As for other things to buy in the US, buy whatever alcohol you like and bring it up with you . . . it's crazy expensive in Canada!

Should also add that most people like to have two copies of the anatomy dissection guide - one clean copy to leave at home and one dirty copy to leave at school to use in the lab. So plan on that unless you're okay with bringing a nasty dog-juice soaked book home to study from. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually found a pdf version for the anatomy book and dictionary that redhead recommended! So hopefully my lab group will want to share as well! Also not sure if you buy a lot of books for upper years , but I found this website http://veterinarybookslab.blogspot.com/ that has a lot of pdf versions of veterinary textbooks! The tip about coveralls from laundry is great! Also do you guys have recommendations for boots?I tried looking for muckboots at LL Bean but they only seem to have Men's boots.

Our lab group only used one "dirty" copy between the three of us, so that's always a possibility to save some money.

This. Unless you are planning on making specific notes for yourself in a wet copy, you only need one book during lab.

For any Canadian applicants, I talked to a fellow applicant who had her interview Wednesday. She was told that was the last day for interviews and letters will be going out next week, most likely Monday. Good luck everyone!

I actually found a pdf version for the anatomy book and dictionary that redhead recommended! So hopefully my lab group will want to share as well! Also not sure if you buy a lot of books for upper years , but I found this website http://veterinarybookslab.blogspot.com/ that has a lot of pdf versions of veterinary textbooks! The tip about coveralls from laundry is great! Also do you guys have recommendations for boots?I tried looking for muckboots at LL Bean but they only seem to have Men's boots.

Don't bother spending a lot of money on muck boots for first year. You're just going to be wearing them in the anatomy lab (and occasionally the barn) and they're going to get really gross. I just bought $30 pair at tractor supply and some cushioned insoles (you'll be standing a lot!) and that's really all you need.

You absolutely need a hard copy of the dictionary to bring to your structure and function exams. You're also allowed to bring any other textbooks from the courses you're taking in first semester, so some hard copies are not a bad idea. I found the recommended Physiology textbook pretty helpful for that exam too.

Last edited:
You guys are all so helpful! I'm so excited to become a fellow AVC'er!

Reactions: 1 users
I am looking into buying a new laptop for school. I know that some schools require certain laptops that run specific operating systems. Is this the case with AVC? Any recommendations on what most people have the most success with?
Thanks!

No requirements at AVC. As long as it can open/edit Powerpoints and PDFs, you should be fine. Some use Macs, some use iPads, some use Windows laptops, some use Surface tablets, I'm not sure if anyone has an Android tablet, but I don't know what everyone has. Profs are pretty good about making lecture notes in formats that everyone can use, though I have seen people with iPads have trouble with larger PDF files sometimes. I have a Surface RT and really like it, but pick something with an operating system and features that you like and fits your budget. I will say that having something with a touch screen is REALLY useful, especially for things that are really visual (radiology, anatomy, histology). I love being able to draw on the slide on screen and wish I would have had that feature when I was taking anatomy.

You will get a bound hard copy of notes for each class too so that's something to consider. I personally never really download the pdfs/powerpoints except to review right before the exam. I like to hand write my notes in the books during class and then type them all up in OneNote later. Really just depends on your study style and personal preference. There are also two computer labs in the AVC building that students can use any time, so you don't necessarily need to bring a laptop to school with you every day.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get a bound hard copy of notes for each class too so that's something to consider. I personally never really download the pdfs/powerpoints except to review right before the exam. I like to hand write my notes in the books during class and then type them all up in OneNote later. Really just depends on your study style and personal preference. There are also two computer labs in the AVC building that students can use any time, so you don't necessarily need to bring a laptop to school with you every day.

Unfortunately that's only the case for first year, and not even all classes as far as we had (maybe different now). The companion animal department got rid of printing notes for us, so you either print them yourself or access them digitally.

Unfortunately that's only the case for first year, and not even all classes as far as we had (maybe different now). The companion animal department got rid of printing notes for us, so you either print them yourself or access them digitally.

Uggghhh, really? I hate printing out that much crap on my own printer.

Just received my letter today! Happy to say I am now a fellow AVC'er! Super excited to move to PEI!

Reactions: 3 users
Also, I've read and had several people tell me to join the AVC class of 2018 group on Facebook upon acceptance, but I can't find it o_O Would it be listed/named under something else?

Also, I've read and had several people tell me to join the AVC class of 2018 group on Facebook upon acceptance, but I can't find it o_O Would it be listed/named under something else?

Congrats on your acceptance! The group is called Atlantic Veterinary College Class of 2018. PM me if you can't find it, and I'll help you out more.

I also got my letter ! Hooray ! Cannot wait to move back to my gentle island !

Reactions: 4 users

This makes me incredibly unhappy.

On a happier note, a giant CONGRATS to all of you who are accepted!!! Can't wait to meet you at orientation :)

Hello I have recently been accepted and was wondering what the names of the anatomy book and dictionary that we will be needing for first year are.
Thank you!

Congrats! Welcome to the AVC family. The books are Guide to Dissection of the Dog by Evans and De Lahunta amd Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary by Studdert.

Congrats to the Canadians for your acceptances! Excited to meet you all in August!

Got my letter today too! CAn't wait to get started! :bookworm:

So rumor has it that we skin a dog during our first day of class in anatomy labs. Does this ring true?

Got my letter today! So excited to be an AVCer!!

Congratulations everyone!

If you or anyone you know needs housing, my roommate and I are looking for someone to share our house. PM for details :)

Congratulations to all the new accepted students!! If you haven't already, make sure you get yourselves onto the Atlantic Veterinary College Class of 2018 facebook page. They're starting to post important info about your orientation, including forms that you will need to fill out and return by July 20th!

Congrats everyone. I have a few questions for everyone that has been accepted. What were your stats like? '(A) grades in all required courses? What was your O Chem grade, if you don't mind sharing. What was your GRE scores? Volunteer hours? I am going to be applying again next year and just wanted to know what I can improve on. Thanks

Congrats everyone. I have a few questions for everyone that has been accepted. What were your stats like? '(A) grades in all required courses? What was your O Chem grade, if you don't mind sharing. What was your GRE scores? Volunteer hours? I am going to be applying again next year and just wanted to know what I can improve on. Thanks

Hey,
My O chem grade was 89 and my applying average was between 85 and 90. If you want more specific grades I can get those for you too.
You can call and ask Jack if you were below/average/above on each of the categories.
I think I had an average score on the GRE but I didn't really understand the grading.
I didn't have much in the way of animal based volunteer, the only significant thing being 200 hours at a veterinary clinic, but my other volunteer was full.
I hope that helps and good luck with your application.

Hey, my lovelies :) Well, I have been accepted into a graduate program, and was offered a partial scholarship, so I have decided to enroll in grad school and withdraw my name from the wait list. I wish you all the bestest of luck and will be rooting for you guys! If you know who I am, find me on FB so we can stay in touch and I can vicariously attend vet school through you :) :biglove:

Hey, my lovelies :) Well, I have been accepted into a graduate program, and was offered a partial scholarship, so I have decided to enroll in grad school and withdraw my name from the wait list. I wish you all the bestest of luck and will be rooting for you guys! If you know who I am, find me on FB so we can stay in touch and I can vicariously attend vet school through you :) :biglove:
While I'm sad it didn't work out for you, I'm glad you've found another great option. Best of luck with everything!

Hey all, long time, no see!

I didn't apply this cycle, nor will I be applying in the fall. I've been working the last 2 years as a chemistry lab technician making $14/hour. It sucks. I can't even get a job in the veterinary field without taking the $9000 veterinary assistant course :( I've had a couple of interviews but was turned down because I don't possess the diploma. Now that chain of vet clinics require the diploma in order to have a shot at an interview. Who cares that I have volunteered in 3 clinics, 2 shelters, went abroad and am now volunteering with a disaster animal response team?

I was pretty sick and it really impacted my last couple years of university, but I feel a lot better now. I kicked depression and anxiety in the butt. My head feels clearer. I took up bodybuilding and will be competing in my second competition in the fall. I was thinking of going back to school in the fall because my first year science courses start to expire for AVC. Now it's looking like January if I can afford it. Can I really afford to go back to school when I am $50 000 in debt with the prospect of finding part-time work is near impossible?

I've explored my options: vet tech is still out there. The vet assistant or receptionist course will not help me get out of debt if I land a job in that field. I don't want to do a masters degree because job prospects are poor. I'm working on my drivers license so moving to find work will soon be an option. I even thought of training to be a flight attendant so that I can travel... but I heard that the course here is useless. I've been applying for jobs... nothing.

So much has changed. I've gone vegan, which changed my opinion on the food animal industry. But I can't shake that I want to be a small animal veterinarian. I want to work in a practice, do surgery, learn how to deal with clients, and be able to use my science background to take care of animals. I want to have a job where I work with compassionate hard-working individuals.

I am super scared about trying to go this route again. Although I am no longer suffering from chronic fatigue, my attention span has gotten pretty short and I don't know how to address that. Am I "smart" enough to give this another try? Will my overactive brain prevent me from doing well? I am scared to death. I can't screw up. I don't really have the money to.

I am thinking of re-taking the GRE and seeing how that goes. I guess I should get started on that now.

Right now, I am miserable. I'd feel a lot better if I can land a job that I love. I am watching people older than me get interviews after getting their degrees and upgrading like crazy. I ran into Croquette's blog tonight while trying to log into my fitness blog and I read through it. It was a kick in the stomach after an unsuccesful month of applying for jobs. I want what she has. I need to do something.

Trem, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling a with job/career/life decisions :( it sounds like you really do want to be a vet and I wish there were some magic advice I could offer to help. All I can think is retake the classes even with the debt but that might be more than you're willing to take on and I can't blame you! I'm glad you have some positives to lean on right now at least. Good luck in your competition!

I talked to the SO last night and I'm going to submit a referral to the mental health clinic. I have a feeling I know what's going on and it needs to be taken care of before I can do anything.

I was thinking of going back to school in the fall because my first year science courses start to expire for AVC. Now it's looking like January if I can afford it. Can I really afford to go back to school when I am $50 000 in debt with the prospect of finding part-time work is near impossible?

For AVC at least, you may be able to avoid retaking those classes (well, unless you want/need to get a higher grade in them) - a few of my classes fell outside the time frame when I applied, and all AVC asked was for a an explanation letter to the adcom explaining why the classes should still be considered... I explained I was a career changer, had returned to school to fulfill other prereqs, but was also working full time and so couldn't yet go back to retake the old classes, and they were satisfied with that explanation. I think the few courses I had outside the time frame were more than just a year out too (I don't remember the exact timeframe anymore).

Sorry you're finding struggles outside of that - depression and anxiety in particular I know can be a rough battle to face. Good luck with everything :)

Hey all, long time, no see!

Hey Trem. Nice to see you back again. If you enjoy lab work maybe you can look into the Medical Lab Technology program that NSCC offers. The job prospects are good and starting salaries are usually around $25/hr and higher. I hear there's a waiting list to get accepted but it'd be something that's def worth checking out. Also, keep your eyes peeled for CFIA and BIO job postings. It's tough to get in but it'd also be worth a try. Good luck.

I have to re-take my chemistry course. I had a 64 and a 69. They're my weak spots. I'm hoping that working in a chemistry lab would give me an edge when I go back haha.

I thought about taking the Medical Lab Technology program. Two of my coworkers went off to do that. I can't stand being in a lab some days. I work in a windowless room with a bunch of people who hate their jobs. I miss working with the public. There are no opportunities for me to move up on my current job... and filtering water and running the mercury analyzer is starting to get old :p

I had an interview at a grooming shop last week for an assistant position. I was told I would probably get a call-back for a working interview based on my experiences.

You are killing it with fitness, Trematode! Super impressive :)

With debt, a couple of my Canadian classmates were 60k+ in debt when they started vet school so you wouldn't be alone on that front. They're older than you, too. Debt still sucks, so do class retakes. I do not regret going back and upgrading, even when I have nightmares about surgery and see how much I could have made as a psychologist. If it's want you want and you can live with the debt I say go for it when you feel ready!

I hope all you 2018ers are pumped for orientation to start tomorrow! I wonder if any of you are in my group :)