Average GPA, Average DAT - what schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jendabest

Reaction score
Hi! I was just wondering if you guys could help me figure out what schools I should apply to this upcoming cycle!!

Date of submission: will apply June 2021 cycle
Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.42 (got a C+ from Genetics :cryi:)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.50
DAT score (include AA and all sections): TS 20, AA 21 (PAT 22 QR 22 RC 23 BIO 19 GC 19 OC 21)
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: decent school in Boston (I'm a senior)
Major: Health Science (was Pharmacy before)
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list: Columbia, NYU, Stony Brook, Touro, Rutgers

Happy new year :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are looking for more schools to consider/don't mind staying in the Boston area, I would recommend BU and Tufts because your stats (science GPA, DAT) are around their average. UNE in Maine is another possibility, but they have more prerequisites like anatomy and microbiology.

You could also look into schools in Pennsylvania like Temple or Pittsburgh!

Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are fine, I had pretty similar stats (3.5 sgpa, 3.6 ogpa 20AA/TS). In my opinion, stats did not make or break my application. I agree with above to add Temple and maybe Maryland since about half their class is OOS and they offer in state tuition after the first year. You could also add Tufts but I would be careful since a lot of the schools on your list are quite pricey (Touro, NYU, Columbia). I'm not too sure I understand your question about credits but if it helps I took Physics I over the summer and got 4 credits. I would use this time to start writing your PS and getting LORs so when the application cycle opens up you're all set to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking for more schools to consider/don't mind staying in the Boston area, I would recommend BU and Tufts because your stats (science GPA, DAT) are around their average. UNE in Maine is another possibility, but they have more prerequisites like anatomy and microbiology.

You could also look into schools in Pennsylvania like Temple or Pittsburgh!

Hope this is helpful!
Ok thanks! I actually wanted to avoid Boston and explore some other cities. BU and Tufts are great but I took a radiology class at Tufts and I didn't really like the area in stuff so I wanted to avoid it haha. I didn't take all the courses that UNE requires but I'll definitely consider Temple and Pittsburgh. Thanks so much :)

Your stats are fine, I had pretty similar stats (3.5 sgpa, 3.6 ogpa 20AA/TS). In my opinion, stats did not make or break my application. I agree with above to add Temple and maybe Maryland since about half their class is OOS and they offer in state tuition after the first year. You could also add Tufts but I would be careful since a lot of the schools on your list are quite pricey (Touro, NYU, Columbia). I'm not too sure I understand your question about credits but if it helps I took Physics I over the summer and got 4 credits. I would use this time to start writing your PS and getting LORs so when the application cycle opens up you're all set to go.
Ok, thanks so much for your help! Do you have any ideas on schools on the west coast? I have some relatives living in the bay area and I was wondering if I should apply to schools in Cali as well!!

Ok, thanks so much for your help! Do you have any ideas on schools on the west coast? I have some relatives living in the bay area and I was wondering if I should apply to schools in Cali as well!!
Western, UCLA, UCSF (would have to check if they favor IS for both), USC (extremely expensive unless you plan to do HPSP or have a lot of financial help wouldn’t apply)

Hi! I was just wondering if you guys could help me figure out what schools I should apply to this upcoming cycle!!

DAT score (include AA and all sections): TS 20, AA 21 (PAT 22 QR 22 RC 23 BIO 19 GC 19 OC 21)

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list: Columbia, NYU, Stony Brook, Touro, Rutgers, UCONN

Happy new year :)
I would not recommend Touro or NYU unless someone else is paying for your school. Strongly suggest you look into Buffalo as you are an NY resident.

Don't spend too much effort thinking about what city you will be in for dental school. 4 years passes real quick and you won't have that much time to do other things anyways lol. as has been said on here many times, tuition cost is the greatest factor for sure.

UCLA, UCSF (would have to check if they favor IS for both)
Probably would not recommend these since I think DAT and sGPA are low and both schools favor IS applicants

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list: Columbia, NYU, Stony Brook, Touro, Rutgers, UCONN
I would probably have your list at around 10 schools because I think your TS is a bit iffy....

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure where you came up with "average DAT", but those DAT scores are above average. Just apply broadly and you'll be good.

I would not recommend Touro or NYU unless someone else is paying for your school. Strongly suggest you look into Buffalo as you are an NY resident.

Don't spend too much effort thinking about what city you will be in for dental school. 4 years passes real quick and you won't have that much time to do other things anyways lol. as has been said on here many times, tuition cost is the greatest factor for sure.
Ok thanks! Do you have any rec schools I should look into (that are generous to OOS)?