Average scores of ACCEPTED *VS* MATRICULATED medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AVERAGE score for an ACCEPTED student is 30.8. However, a person who scored very high may have been accepted at more than one school. This person then goes to the most selective school (i.e. the school with the highest MCAT score).

Therefore, the MATRICULATED scores should be slightly lower.

According to my data, I would say that the average score of an MD graduate is about 1-2 points lower than the average accepted score.

Does anyone know where I can obtain the average MATRICULATED SCORES? BTW, the 30.8 score is pretty high for an ACCEPTED score.

Members don't see this ad.

This is from AAMC: "Many medical schools are beginning to take a holistic approach to reviewing applicants,
evaluating them on the basis of their academic and personal achievements and within the context
of the opportunities and challenges each has encountered. The applicants to medical school this
year were among the most academically qualified in history; AAMC data show an increase in the
average undergraduate grade point average (to 3.50) and average MCAT (Medical College
Admission Test) scores (to 28.1). Importantly, there was also an increase in the number of
applicants who had community service experience (both clinical and non-clinical) and medical
research experience on their premedical resumes."

I thought that the average score for ACCEPTED students was 30.8, and the average for MATRICULATED students was a little lower. I realize that the average score, overall, is around 24.

AAMC wrote that: "Many medical schools are beginning to take a holistic approach to reviewing applicants,
evaluating them on the basis of their academic and personal achievements and within the context
of the opportunities and challenges each has encountered. The applicants to medical school this
year were among the most academically qualified in history; AAMC data show an increase in the
average undergraduate grade point average (to 3.50) and average MCAT (Medical College
Admission Test) scores (to 28.1). Importantly, there was also an increase in the number of
applicants who had community service experience (both clinical and non-clinical) and medical

Therefore, it seems that the new "average MCAT" is 28.1. This average can NOT be the average of all people who took the MCAT. I believe that the average MCAT scores of all people who took it is ~24.

BTW, your number, 30.8, is the average for ACCEPTED MCAT scores. ACCEPTED scores are higher than MATRICULATED, since a 36 score can get accepted to 10 different medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from AAMC: "Many medical schools are beginning to take a holistic approach to reviewing applicants,

I thought that the average score for ACCEPTED students was 30.8, and the average for MATRICULATED students was a little lower. I realize that the average score, overall, is around 24.

At no point in that piece does it say that any of these students were "accepted." I believe that this is saying that of ALL the people who applied to medical school this year (regardless of acceptance or rejection) that the average MCAT was a 28.1 and the average gpa was a 3.50. This has nothing to do with the accepted or matriculated averages.

AAMC wrote that: "The applicants to medical school this
Admission Test) scores (to 28.1).

Therefore, it seems that the new "average MCAT" is 28.1. This average can NOT be the average of all people who took the MCAT. I believe that the average MCAT scores of all people who took it is ~24.

BTW, your number, 30.8, is the average for ACCEPTED MCAT scores. ACCEPTED scores are higher than MATRICULATED, since a 36 score can get accepted to 10 different medical schools.

The AAMC statement says it's for APPLICANTS, NOT ACCEPTED OR MATRICULATED. In fact, those scores are reported in the graph I posted as the APPLICANT scores for 2008. APPLICANT scores include people who were not accepted to medical school.

The table I posted clearly states MATRICULANT scores.

Here is the table again, this time in html: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...df+average+matriculant+mcat+score&hl=en&gl=us

Last edited:
At no point in that piece does it say that any of these students were "accepted." I believe that this is saying that of ALL the people who applied to medical school this year (regardless of acceptance or rejection) that the average MCAT was a 28.1 and the average gpa was a 3.50. This has nothing to do with the accepted or matriculated averages.

You're 100% correct. The AVERAGE score for ALL MCAT takers is an amazingly high 28.1. I was very surprised by this.

I'm taking the Kaplan practice exams, and their scaled score tables mention that the average scores per section is 24. This is why I thought that the average score was a 24.

Goodness gracious me. I'm in trouble. I'm only making 26 on the Kaplan practice.

Perhaps the Kaplan average of 8 equates to the REAL MCAT average of 9.3. Therefore, my scores is - when scaled using the MCAT curve - a 26*(9.3/8) = 30.2?

You're 100% correct. The AVERAGE score for ALL MCAT takers is an amazingly high 28.1. I was very surprised by this.

I'm taking the Kaplan practice exams, and their scaled score tables mention that the average scores per section is 24. This is why I thought that the average score was a 24.

Goodness gracious me. I'm in trouble. I'm only making 26 on the Kaplan practice.

Perhaps the Kaplan average of 8 equates to the REAL MCAT average of 9.3. Therefore, my scores is - when scaled using the MCAT curve - a 26*(9.3/8) = 30.2?

Don't count on it! That being said, Kaplan's tests aren't exactly known for their accuracy in terms of difficulty, so I wouldn't worry about it too much; just keep plugging away and worry if your AAMC practice test average is still a 26!

Stop worrying about average accepted vs matriculated vs whatever. Learn the material, practice, and do the best you can. Breaking 30 would be a good initial goal to have.

Last edited:

False...the average MCAT for all applicants appears to be 28.1...the average MCAT for all test takers is much lower...usually around 24 IIRC. You are clearly not understanding what all this average MCAT/GPA talk means. AVG scores are going to be different for acceptees, matriculants, applicants AND overall MCAT takers...not sure what is so difficult about this?

Take a lot of practice tests, but realize that your first 2-4 practice test scores are going to be terribly inaccurate. I don't know how many tests you've taken so far, but I nearly had a panic attack when I got a 22 on my first practice test (and like 24-27 on the next few). These scores did not reflect what I got on the actual test. Also, some practice tests are much more difficult than others depending on the source (as someone mentioned above, practice tests by any given company may be more or less difficult).

Threads merged. Please do not cross-post.

These are the stats of matriculated students for 2009:

Average Overall GPA: 3.66
Average Science GPA: 3.60
Overall Average MCAT: 30.8/P (PS: 10.3/VR: 9.8/BS: 10.)

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbT1SMH7DDtAukKbEi_jb9X8I6675g

The AAMC statement says it's for APPLICANTS, NOT ACCEPTED OR MATRICULATED. In fact, those scores are reported in the graph I posted as the APPLICANT scores for 2008. APPLICANT scores include people who were not accepted to medical school.

The table I posted clearly states MATRICULANT scores.

Here is the table again, this time in html: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...df+average+matriculant+mcat+score&hl=en&gl=us

Just in case anyone is wondering, according to MSAR the median for accepted students is a 32. If you're going to go by numbers I think it's a bit more accurate to go by the median but either way doesn't matter since the sample size is so large.