Average Stats for Univ of Mich (Health Policy and Management)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have average stats (GPA and GRE) for U of Michigan's MPH or MHS program? (Health Policy and Management in particular)...for those who have been accepted, is it mostly based on numbers or do they look at ECs, activities, etc..I'm extremely interested in their program, and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how many LORS does the program require?

Members don't see this ad.

OBGYN2010 said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have average stats (GPA and GRE) for U of Michigan's MPH or MHS program? (Health Policy and Management in particular)...for those who have been accepted, is it mostly based on numbers or do they look at ECs, activities, etc..I'm extremely interested in their program, and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how many LORS does the program require?

Hihi!

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner - I've been away from SDN for so long! Anyways, let's see... Average GPA supposedly is 3.3, while the GREs average around the 70-75th percentile (according to the literature I got when I went there). However, about 50% of the class has prior work experience and the other 50% don't. Apparently if you don't have any, the GPA/GRE requirements become significantly higher (I talked to a lot of people fresh out of undergrad with around 3.5 GPAs). They didn't really seem to care what you majored in either - I saw people who majored in history, biochemistry, sociology and engineering, among other things. As for admissions criteria, they start off looking at your application statistics (GPA/GRE and LORs). They never mentioned to me anything about my personal statement while I was there, but there needs to be evidence of a sincere committment to the field of public health. This can be shown through your letters, previous work/volunteer experience, etc.

After this time, if your application is sufficient, they might invite you for a required interview (at your expense). Don't be discouraged if you get to this point though! The interview is very casual, but it seemed like it was more them selling the school to you than you selling yourself to them. Over 85% of those who are interviewed are accepted - so they have pretty much selected you already. Also given this, I'm guessing the application process is very application/stats driven since they do a lot of sifting before they even see you in person.

As for LORs - they require 3. I hope this helps!