Averaging Old & New MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurophilic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the three scores, is there a big difference? Most likely they'll go off your new score, unless it's some crazy pattern

There is an equivalency sheet, so schools that average will continue to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like it depends on the schools/adcoms. I do not think there is a clear cut answer here. They see three scores and probably try to build a story. Some stories are likely more obvious than others. 2 low scores within 6 months of each other followed by a 2 year break with a successful post bac before a high score vs. 2 consecutive low scores followed by an average score (all within a year) will probably be viewed differently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well the scores in the order I took them are 26 (6 verbal), 30 (11 verbal), 513 (127 CARS). And as context I am Canadian. Thoughts on how this trend will affect me?

Edit: Just wanted to add that all tests were taken 1 year apart
I think you could apply as if you just had the 513

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, just wondering how it works when you have old and new MCAT tests. Is there some sort of averaging between new and old variants? Or do they only average over the same variant. Curious as I have 2 old and 1 new. Also how might this affect my chances at USMD
What were your scores? It will boil down to percentiles.

Also, what are your GPAs? State of residence?

I xan't recommend MD schools. Aim for the ~14 that take Canadians, including MSUCOM and UNECOM
Is it because I require a higher GPA or the combination of my MCAT scores or both?

Is it because I require a higher GPA or the combination of my MCAT scores or both?

My personal thinking is that MD schools more strictly evaluate your entire history of taking the MCAT. (Usually they will average them)
Additionally, you are a Canadian, but med school don't prefer international students much.
You need higher stats for those MD schools, who admit international students (both GPA and MCAT).
As it's not very clear how they exactly might evaluate your MCAT, it's too risky to think about MD schools.

I xan't recommend MD schools. Aim for the ~14 that take Canadians, including MSUCOM and UNECOM

My personal thinking is that MD schools more strictly evaluate your entire history of taking the MCAT. (Usually they will average them)
Additionally, you are a Canadian, but med school don't prefer international students much.
You need higher stats for those MD schools, who admit international students (both GPA and MCAT).
As it's not very clear how they exactly might evaluate your MCAT, it's too risky to think about MD schools.
Ah I see. Thanks for the input.

If you don't take a risk, you won't get into an MD school for sure. There are still MD schools out there that don't average MCAT scores and primarily consider the most recent score. OP, I suggest you research whether some on your target list might fall into that category, and aim for those. I recall an SDN list of schools' policies from awhile back, but you'd have to get updated information before the cycle you plan to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't take a risk, you won't get into an MD school for sure. There are still MD schools out there that don't average MCAT scores and primarily consider the most recent score. OP, I suggest you research whether some on your target list might fall into that category, and aim for those. I recall an SDN list of schools' policies from awhile back, but you'd have to get updated information before the cycle you plan to apply.
I really appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm actually applying this cycle and have all of my materials in. I should be verified by the end of next week. Money is not an issue for me so the way I see it, I might as well give it my best shot. Would the majority of these schools disclose these policies? I do know Dartmouth says they use the most recent score for evaluation purposes but I haven't come across it for others. I'm going to try and do a search and see what I can find on SDN.

@Catalystik Well I actually found a thread from 2015 and a few of the schools I've applied to use most recent or superscore so I'm happy about that. I'm assuming those policies haven't really changed since then. Here's the link for anyone else interested in seeing:

School Specific MCAT Policy

Edit: Here's a more comprehensive list:

Multiple MCAT Score Policy School List
I don't see Wayne State on either list, and their website states they take Canadians and don't combine MCAT scores: http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/pdf...edical_student_selection_and_requirements.pdf

Money is not an issue for me so the way I see it, I might as well give it my best shot. Would the majority of these schools disclose these policies?
Before spending money on expensive Secondary applications, I suggest you check each website (or call) for their policy. Also, check your MSAR to be sure each school takes a decent number of Canadians. You should be able to find a list posted on SDN about that, too.

Before spending money on expensive Secondary applications, I suggest you check each website (or call) for their policy. Also, check your MSAR to be sure each school takes a decent number of Canadians. You should be able to find a list posted on SDN about that, too.
That is a good idea. I've actually already gone through MSAR and done that. Eliminated all schools I don't have the prerequisites (English) for and any that were super reaches like Harvard, Hopkins, etc. List came out to 15 schools. I figured with only 15 schools might as well just apply to those schools that accept a small number of Canadians and see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So 3.7 w/ huge upward trend and a ~90th percentile new MCAT...I'd apply to all 15 of those MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users