Away Rotation ? and VSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Question on etiquette for VSAS rotation offers: I applied to two programs for the same time frame, hoping to hedge my bets in case one program filled up or whatever may happen.

Both programs started accepting offers at the same time, and both stated on VSAS they would begin reviewing apps on May 1st.

However, one program began reviewing early, today they offered me a spot, but I have until the 12th of May to accept/decline.

All fine and dandy, but I would pick the other program over this one if they accepted me for a spot.

The problem now is, I suspect they will not review my app until the official day, and even if I do get an offer, it may not come in time with the early deadline for the other program.

Is it kosher to ask the pending school when they may have my app reviewed? I'm not asking for special treatment in having my app reviewed early, and I don't have any interest in tying up a spot for someone that may want to rotate through the other program.

I'm not sure if it's wise to let the school know I'm applying to other schools at the same time or what and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Members don't see this ad.
VSAS is a pain for exactly this reason. I don't know the right answer but this is what I would do if I were in your position:

Email the contact person (this will likely be a secretary) for the school you are waiting to hear from and explain your situation. Let them know that to maximize your chances of having an away rotation in this particular month, you applied to two programs. You have been accepted to one, but if given the choice you would prefer to attend their program.

You can let them know that you have until May 12th to accept/reject their offer and see if they have any perceived timeline on accepting/rejecting their applicants.

Another option is to wait until May 11th and see what you hear from the other program. You can always accept the one rotation and cancel it later. But if you do this I would not count on getting an interview at the program that you cancelled. If you do get an interview I would not go because canceling the rotation will likely come up and bump you down their list significantly. If you do this option, cancel your rotation the second you find out to give the other program plenty of time to fill their spot. I'm sure things like this happen every year.

Good luck