away rotation concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisyphus22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this year for ophtho, and I'm doing a total of four one-month rotations in ophtho, all of which are in NY (one at my school and three aways in Manhattan). Just wondering if doing so many rotations in NY puts me at a disadvantage when applying to schools outside of NY. Will they look at my application and assume that I only want to go to a NY program? I don't necessarily care that much about staying in NY, though I do want to stay in the northeast (e.g. philly, boston, d.c., maryland), and I'm worried that some of these programs might not bother to interview me. Is there any way of getting around this? Is it worth it to cancel one of my future away rotations (at a program i'm unlikely to get into anyway) so my application seems less NY-biased? or should i just not worry about it...

Members don't see this ad.

sisyphus22 said:
I'm applying this year for ophtho, and I'm doing a total of four one-month rotations in ophtho, all of which are in NY (one at my school and three aways in Manhattan). Just wondering if doing so many rotations in NY puts me at a disadvantage when applying to schools outside of NY. Will they look at my application and assume that I only want to go to a NY program? I don't necessarily care that much about staying in NY, though I do want to stay in the northeast (e.g. philly, boston, d.c., maryland), and I'm worried that some of these programs might not bother to interview me. Is there any way of getting around this? Is it worth it to cancel one of my future away rotations (at a program i'm unlikely to get into anyway) so my application seems less NY-biased? or should i just not worry about it...

You are over thinking things. To me, it really shows motivation you want to learn as much as you can. Remember, away rotations are a double edged sword. You need to be on your game 24/7 (10/5?) or else you can sink your application. This will be especially true during your last two rotations when you have really learned about as much as you can as a medical student (ie you get bored). Also, I wouldn't want to be doing an away rotation during prime interview season because you will be gone alot with travel. Good luck, and don't worry it would not look bad to other programs.

Re: Boredom.

Seriously. The skill I am most polishing on my ophthalmology rotation is finding the fastest way to sit down in an out-of-the-way part of the exam room to watch the attending do the same schtick he did for the 50 previous patients that day. Being an ophthalmology resident looks like fun, but I'd want to shoot myself if I were planning on more than one away rotation and the risk of more endless shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
xaelia said:
Re: Boredom.

Seriously. The skill I am most polishing on my ophthalmology rotation is finding the fastest way to sit down in an out-of-the-way part of the exam room to watch the attending do the same schtick he did for the 50 previous patients that day. Being an ophthalmology resident looks like fun, but I'd want to shoot myself if I were planning on more than one away rotation and the risk of more endless shadowing.

maybe you should mention you want to be more involved? usually unless things are too busy, i get to see the patient first and fumble with the slit lamp and present something to the attending.

or just stay in the OR :)

Are three rotation in Feb, March, April too early or the timing doesn't matter? I can only fit these so far in my schedule! Should I try to mess up my schedule so far and do some later?

I can't imagine there being much downside to completing away rotations that early; I suppose they could forget you, but the upside is if you get any important folks to write you letters, even if they're as slow as the current president they'll definitely be available by the time you get around to submitting to CAS.

And, Re: Re: Boredom...to really work independently of the attendings and work on my exam skills, I'd need a set of lenses. The retina guy I worked with today probably wouldn't be terribly interested in my slit-lamp exam report of an unremarkable anterior chamber....

Cool. Thanks for your insight.

I was wondering when should one ask for a letter while on an away. First week? Second week?...I was just contemplating this. Also, do you hand the letter writer anything? I can maybe see a CV being given but nothing else. Thoughts?