Away Rotation-Guaranteed Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newt23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

I have a quick question. I know that many people mention doing aways at places that "guarantee interviews" which makes a great deal of sense. However, I was wondering how people determine whether a particular program will give out these interviews. Any guidance on how to determine this before starting a rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

It's word of mouth.

Not sure there is such a thing as a "guaranteed" interview. A lousy student at an audition rotation will not get an interview no mater how historically kind the program is to granting interviews. That being said, hard work does help away things in your favor.

But I know what you are getting at; what places have historically invited students back?. I can only give you anecdotes:

I did an away at UAB. Great experience. Myself, along with the two other rotators I was with got invited back (one of them a DO student).

I Have talked to a few students about this on the interview trail. Talked to several that rotated through Utah, and none of them received interviews. Talked to one who rotated through case western, and got no interview (despite multiple positive comments on his performance- per him). Another rotated through Oklahoma and DID get invited back. As you can see- kind of hit or miss.

My philosophy was to rotate through a place I was really interested in, that wasn't necessarily out of my league, but where I would not have been on their radar had I not rotated there (I'm going to school in Cali). It worked. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the great advice Cornbread. I am thinking of doing aways at these programs, if you have any insight into the away rotation and their willingness to interview those rotating, please let me know!

UNC
Duke
UVA
VCU
OHSU
Vandy
U Colorado
KU
UMKC

Members don't see this ad :)
you could pm me too, if you want!

I wouldn't worry about what places automatically interview you - if you don't get an interview they are doing you a favor by not having you waste your money on travel. A cordial interview means nothing if you have no shot or residents/attendings aren't impressed with you on rotation. If you do well and people like you... then you'll get an interview. Even if you shoot high and go to an away at a top program, you may be able to score a hot letter and no other program will know if they interviewed you or not. General advice, don't bother with aways if you have decent grades at a top school, worth a shot if you're at lower tier school.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone with insight regarding a good away rotation out of this group?

Anyone with insight regarding a good away rotation out of this group?

These are kind of all over the map. Depends where you go to med school, where your home (permanent) address is and where you think you'll get love from interview season...

These are kind of all over the map. Depends where you go to med school, where your home (permanent) address is and where you think you'll get love from interview season...

What about an applicant with heavy research (non-ophtho), >250 step 1, mostly honors 3rd year, but with average pre-clinical grades from a low-tier school with no residency program? I'm wondering where/how many aways to do...

What about an applicant with heavy research (non-ophtho), >250 step 1, mostly honors 3rd year, but with average pre-clinical grades from a low-tier school with no residency program? I'm wondering where/how many aways to do...

good question. i would do a range of programs. for a top program, pick one that historically cares less about med school pedigree, ie. Bascom instead of wilmer.

good question. i would do a range of programs. for a top program, pick one that historically cares less about med school pedigree, ie. Bascom instead of wilmer.
btw, nobody cares about ur pre-clinicals

Good to hear that pre-clinicals don't matter as much, haha. Anyway, as far as top tier/solid middle tier places that give everyone a fair shot, I've come up with Utah, Casey, Emory, Cole, Oklahoma, Kresge, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Wisconsin, UTSW, UAB (looking at their residency classes online). Any others come to mind?

Good to hear that pre-clinicals don't matter as much, haha. Anyway, as far as top tier/solid middle tier places that give everyone a fair shot, I've come up with Utah, Casey, Emory, Cole, Oklahoma, Kresge, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Wisconsin, UTSW, UAB (looking at their residency classes online). Any others come to mind?

Do you think you're gonna have AOA?

Its hard to really stand out at a place where a lot of ppl rotate at, so I would definitely rotate at a place that has more spots (4+) and isn’t usually considered among the top 20 programs