Away Rotation Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthowannabe1

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a below average M3 with hopes of making it into ophtho (read I did well but not stellar during M3 rotations, all pass in M1-M2, 220-230 Step 1).

Currently I am looking into potential places to maximize my opportunity for matching, in spite of my weak application. I am also applying for aways. I am hoping to do 3 aways at low-mid tier places with hopes of excelling at these places...and hopefully getting an interview!

I was hoping to get a sense for a few places that would be good ideas for aways with my particular situation. I know that it probably wouldn't be easy to write this directly on the forum, so if you wouldn't mind, please PM me if you have any thoughts.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a below average M3 with hopes of making it into ophtho (read I did well but not stellar during M3 rotations, all pass in M1-M2, 220-230 Step 1).

Currently I am looking into potential places to maximize my opportunity for matching, in spite of my weak application. I am also applying for aways. I am hoping to do 3 aways at low-mid tier places with hopes of excelling at these places...and hopefully getting an interview!

I was hoping to get a sense for a few places that would be good ideas for aways with my particular situation. I know that it probably wouldn't be easy to write this directly on the forum, so if you wouldn't mind, please PM me if you have any thoughts.

Thanks!

I also have similar stats, a mid 230s step one. I'm from the southwest, and have family ties to the midwest and Texas. However, I'm willing to match anywhere if it means becoming an ophthalmologist. Any advice on which programs I should look into/ do an away at to increase my chances of matching? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks and good luck to you ophthowannabe1

As I not received an overwhelming amount of responses, perhaps I would be better off rephrasing my question.

Maybe it would be of benefit to make this into a general thread about how to overcome a subpar Step 1 score (if it is possible). What types of things could be done to maximize the possibility of matching as an average medical student?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm coming into ophtho a little late in the game with no ophtho research experience, and only a few poster presentations in non-ophtho stuff. I think this is probably the biggest hole in my application, and I'm actively trying to get involved with some clinical research/ case reports before third year is over (a few months), but there isn't an ophtho residency at my school, so there's not many projects floating around.

Are research away rotations generally helpful/ productive? Do you need to do an away research rotation at a research powerhouse institution? How competitive are research aways? Should I just focus on landing clinical away rotations (planning on doing 2) and not worry about the lack of research?

Step 1: mid 230s
3rd year is HP with a few honors so far

I'd appreciate any input you guys have to offer.

You both definitely have a chance. You need to take step two early enough to put your new amazing score on your application. That means you need to take it first block of your 4th year. I used world q's, USMLE secrets (best overall book), and FA for step 2 for Peds and OBGYN. Immediately after you take step 2 you need to do away rotations. That means you will have to start applying soon. Right now you need to get your vaccinations squared away. I would do 3 aways with your scores and no research. Don't do any "top tier" schools. Do mid-low tier schools and try to look good without being annoying. Ophthobook and the videos that go with it will put you above average for a student. I can't recommend any specific places but I would look at south east programs. Most are great schools that are not considered top tier (except emory, duke, and BP) but they don't find research as important and they will be less strict on step one (I think). I know people to get in with 220s step one but you have to kill step two or make up for it by being AOA. Also if you do a research fellowship it highly increases your chances of matching if you don't get in the first time around. Its a little late to do research right now but if you can publish a case study that will help. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Do mid-low tier schools and try to look good without being annoying.

Being at a program where dozens of medical students rotate through every year, easier said then done. This is why many schools advise against doing away rotations. Almost half the students coming through receive the kiss of death and only a handful are impressive and memorable; they would have gotten interviews anyway. The main advantage is we look a lot more favorably towards those students who survived the month long interview than those we've only met for several hours.

Thanks!

If you're saying you're in the bottom half of your class in addition to low step scores, your best (realistic) shot is your home program after you do some research with them. I strongly believe the only students who truly benefit from away rotations are those who look good on paper AND have a strong interest in a particular program/region and want the home field advantage there when the programs rank.