Awkward MCAT score, still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a very.. very strange MCAT score. DISCLAIMER I knew my cars would be the weaker section.

How can an exam be that tilted. I had enough critical analyzing skills to do hard science but not enough to guess (emphasis on guess) what an author was thinking?

I need advice!! I have a 3.48 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA
Lots of shadowing (500 hours)
Lots of lab work (over ~1000, 1/2 in animal health and counting)
Lots of clinical (over ~2000 per working a college job *several advisers told me it counted even though i was hesitant*, nutrition adviser)
Too many volunteer opportunities and leadership experiences to list, including me being a volunteer coordinator(currently).

Where should I apply.. My apps are ready for both MD and DO, just gotta pay.

Two MD LOR
One hard science
One Supervisor

upload_2018-7-17_11-36-42.png

for those who can't see the snip i took
504- 127.122.127.128

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That is rough. I believe with that CARS score you would be screened out by most MD schools.

For DO you have a chance but looking at the most recent data available the mean CARS score for those accepted to DO was a 125.17 with a SD of 2.13. That means around 25% of DO matriculants had below a 123.04 - so even DO schools would be difficult with that CARS score in my opinion.

It would be best to hear from the adcoms on here. @Goro and @Faha could give you the best advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Cars is often weighted more than the sciences

Cars is often weighted more than the sciences
Which confuses me because I feel that my ability to analyze a scientific passage and pick apart the information is much more valuable.
Would you know which particular schools. It seems like i'm on a teeter totter because my other scores are respectable enough to apply but my CARS is abysmal. :confused:

Which confuses me because I feel that my ability to analyze a scientific passage and pick apart the information is much more valuable.
Would you know which particular schools. It seems like i'm on a teeter totter because my other scores are respectable enough to apply but my CARS is abysmal. :confused:
This is just what my Kaplan instructor told me but she did not go into detail. But she said CARS is most important..not sure how true that is

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive some interviews. Include MSUCOM and MU-COM.
For MD schools I suggest these:
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Seton Hall
NOVA MD

Reactions: 2 users
You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive some interviews. Include MSUCOM and MU-COM.
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
This was PERFECT thank you so much. I will be putting my application through tonight *praying*

This is just what my Kaplan instructor told me but she did not go into detail. But she said CARS is most important..not sure how true that is
I can imagine they say that because it tends to be the weak point of most people and can draw down your score if you don't emphasize it during study, example A, me.

That and it is rather important to be able to critically read. just a guess though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told by several members of admissions committees at various schools that the CARS score is the one they give the most slack on.

I've been told by several members of admissions committees at various schools that the CARS score is the one they give the most slack on.
Praying..

they should just get rid of it. Too subjective and forces thoughts into a box IMO.

Praying..

they should just get rid of it. Too subjective and forces thoughts into a box IMO.

Playing the game of what score is more important is futile. The entire process is riddled with randomness and subjectivity. If you are happy with your score then move on and if not retake it. This sounds blunt but it is the truth.

Keep you head up.
I received a very.. very strange MCAT score. DISCLAIMER I knew my cars would be the weaker section.

How can an exam be that tilted. I had enough critical analyzing skills to do hard science but not enough to guess (emphasis on guess) what an author was thinking?

Lots of clinical (over ~2000 per working a college job *several advisers told me it counted even though i was hesitant*, nutrition adviser)
Too many volunteer opportunities and leadership experiences to list, including me being a volunteer coordinator(currently).

Two MD LOR
One hard science
One Supervisor

View attachment 237340

504- 127.122.127.128

Identical stats to you (except my C/P was a 129). The CARS hurt me but I'm still applying to about 20 MD that I've selectively researched on MSAR and 8 DO. Keep your head up, I think you'll get some love

Reactions: 1 users

Two MD LOR
One hard science
One Supervisor

504- 127.122.127.128

I believe that a 504 with a 122 MCAT will be lethal for MD, but OK for DO.

Depends on the school.

I would start calling admissions offices and see who’ll screen you out for sure, who’s likely to screen you out, and who you’re good to go for.

It would be worth the phone call if it saves you the 40-odd dollars for schools where you’re guaranteed a reject.

Hello!

Another important consideration is that last year matriculants to MD programs had a mean MCAT of around a 510. You can find this on the AAMC AMCAS website. I was on our school admissions committee for a year and they were pretty firm about the MCAT cutoff score. The reason for this is that (1) they want evidence that you're a good standardized test taker for USMLE and (2) they want good admissions MCAT stats for their own US News rating. You could apply to the MD programs, but probably would not get a hard look from many of them with ~504 and a lower CARS score, which often is prioritized by many schools because traditional science students have a hard time with it.

Several people here have mentioned applying to DO programs. I think that's a great idea and you'd likely get some acceptances there if you have a strong GPA. The only pitfall is that depending on where you go, DO schools are often very expensive.

I hope the helps!

David
======================
David Savage, MD, PhD

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Seton Hall
NOVA MD

I thought NOVA and Seton both had really high MCAT avg like around 511 for the incoming classes?

Two MD LOR
One hard science
One Supervisor

View attachment 237340

504- 127.122.127.128

What was your CARS on the AAMC FL practice exams?

What was your CARS on the AAMC FL practice exams?
124,125,126 I think.. but in reverse order. FL 1 126, FL 2 125, FL 3 124. Literal representation of interference once I improved my Bio, Chem/Phys, and Psych/Soc.