AZCOM curriculum or Western-COMP curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floralthoughts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm really torn between two schools, AZCOM and Western-Pomona. I know there have been threads like this in the past, but I'm hoping to gain some more recent insight. I loved the environment at AZCOM and the campus itself, it felt like the students were truly happy to be there. The only concern I have is the quarter system set up--I'm worried that exams every week while taking 6-7 classes at once would be more overwhelming than the block schedule at Western, where you focus on one core science class intensively for a shorter amount of time before switching to a different core science.

If anyone has any insight into these schools or their experiences at either campus, it would be hugely appreciated! I'm originally from California, but I'd be fine living out of state for a change of scene. It also seems like Arizona has some rotations in California if I really wanted to come back to practice.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I've always been told systems based >>>> traditional based. Depends how you want to learn though.

You want to take general pharmacology/histology/pathology courses spreading across the body? Or learn those aspects a little at a time while focusing on a particular system?

COMP starts out with a traditional curriculum for anatomy and the molecular and cell bio stuff but by the second semester, the curriculum becomes systems-based.
AZCOM does have a gorgeous campus though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not put too much weight on a school's curriculum other than looking into which curriculum gives you the most time to study for boards. The relevant majority of your preclerkship education will be learned through review books (first aid, pathoma).

Go to the school with stronger rotations and more residencies.

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago as I've been thinking about the same thing. I think I've ultimately decided on Western.

If you're from CA and want to come back here for residency or eventually practice here, why not just go with the CA school?

Also:

1. Western has P/F (not sure if it's the high pass/low pass stuff that essentially amounts to ABCDF lol)
2. $10k cheaper (hey hey)
3. Southern CA
4. Pretty good reputation in this area

However, AZCOM has one of the best campuses I've ever seen and it felt like an awesome school. Everyone I met (including the students/interviewees were super cool and seemed like people that would be fun to be around). Although tests every Monday seems kinda lame.

It's a tough decision but you can't go wrong with either. I've decided that I'd like to continue living in CA, be around my friends and go to an awesome school.

Go to the school with stronger rotations and more residencies.

I would say that Western has stronger rotations but AZCOM probably has more residencies. In that regard AZCOM might be the better choice, but I think there are too many other positives that are more important to me than more affiliated residencies. I don't know if that's a dumb choice.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/azcom-vs-western-comp.802623/

P.S. this thread has someone that really seems to dislike Western. I'd like to hear a current student talk about preparedness for comlex/usmle or if this has changed in the past couple years. Also, that story about someone getting kicked out for not following protocol at their rotation site is really scary..

Regarding how grades work at COMP:
You first get a raw percentage score, which may or may not be boosted by x percent at the end of the course. Anything above 90% after the boost (if there is one) is considered honors. Anything below 90 but above 70 is a Pass. Anything below 70 is a fail. So there's no high pass-low pass nonsense. HOWEVER, GPA (and class rank) are determined using your percentage scores.

Regarding how grades work at COMP:
You first get a raw percentage score, which may or may not be boosted by x percent at the end of the course. Anything above 90% after the boost (if there is one) is considered honors. Anything below 90 but above 70 is a Pass. Anything below 70 is a fail. So there's no high pass-low pass nonsense. HOWEVER, GPA (and class rank) are determined using your percentage scores.

Is having gpa determined by percentage typical of P/F schools? Regardless, I think being P/F is a huge plus from what I've heard.