AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'd just like to wish the best to those waiting to hear from AZCOM. I hope y'all that want to come here do get in!

On another note, I wanna know from people who've been applying for student loans. I finished my Stafford Loan application like two weeks ago and the status still says the certification is in progress. How long does it usually take for the loans to actually be processed? Every time I try to ask financial aid I just get their voicemail. I'd love to know when I'll actually have some money to pay my tuition :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm am looking for a roommate, starting class in august 2009 at azcom midwestern for the ma biomedprogram

You might want to also post a roommate ad on MWU's Facebook page, if you haven't already. I'm female, so don't qualify. Hope you find a great roommate. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'd just like to wish the best to those waiting to hear from AZCOM. I hope y'all that want to come here do get in!

On another note, I wanna know from people who've been applying for student loans. I finished my Stafford Loan application like two weeks ago and the status still says the certification is in progress. How long does it usually take for the loans to actually be processed? Every time I try to ask financial aid I just get their voicemail. I'd love to know when I'll actually have some money to pay my tuition :D

Did you do ALL 5 steps? You have to sign the Master Promissary Note (MPN)for both stafford and PLUS loans, take the online "class", do the MWU app, and submit your FAFSA. Once you do all those it takes about a week for the award letter to show up. If you have done all that, I would still try to contact the fin aid office...maybe e-mail them if you keep getting their voicemail. Good luck and see you in August!

Hey guys, I just posted in the AZCOM class thread this question... but have you figured out who to select as a lender? I'm completely confused about this part. I'm not sure that Midwestern has the best rates, though I don't know if selecting it as a lender would be most convenient. There are other lenders (such as Discover) without fees. But I don't know of their fine print. Any thoughts?

Hey guys, I just posted in the AZCOM class thread this question... but have you figured out who to select as a lender? I'm completely confused about this part. I'm not sure that Midwestern has the best rates, though I don't know if selecting it as a lender would be most convenient. There are other lenders (such as Discover) without fees. But I don't know of their fine print. Any thoughts?
All the rates are the same for any loan that is federally affiliated.

Fees may vary a small amount, but I'm pretty sure they're all the same.

Alternatively, you could just read the fine print.

All the rates are the same for any loan that is federally affiliated.

Fees may vary a small amount, but I'm pretty sure they're all the same.

Actually, that's not true. There are different fees associated with different lenders, even for the Stafford (federal) loans. You can check them out yourself here: http://www.studentloanlistings.com/

Alternatively, you could just read the fine print.

Yes, I will certainly read the fine print before signing anything, but I chose to post on this site because I figured that people might know specifics of what I should be looking out for when choosing a lender. I find it more prudent to ask others before signing up for anything, rather than signing the MPN too soon and regretting it later.

Rates and fees are different.

Like I said, rates for a particular type of federal loan are the same, fees may vary.

This is not rocket surgery.

does anyone know if we can move in to our on-campus apartment a day before August 1st? i'm flying to phoenix on the 31st, so i'd like to move in then. who am i to contact for this?

does anyone know if we can move in to our on-campus apartment a day before August 1st? i'm flying to phoenix on the 31st, so i'd like to move in then. who am i to contact for this?

Contact Jose at the Residence Life/Housing office. I am thinking to move in the 31st as well. If you want to move in before August 1st (which is when the DO student leases officially start), you simply have to obtain permission beforehand. And you should make arrangements with Jose ahead of time to pick up your keys etc during business hours... as you (obviously) can't just expect someone to be there waiting for you whenever you get there. For each day in advance that you move in, you have to pay a pro-rated amount (approx. $20-30/day depending on your apartment monthly cost). I was telling Jose that I'll be moving out of my current apartment on July 31st, and wanted to move my stuff into the new apartment Friday afternoon, instead of leaving it in a Uhaul truck overnight. Jose seemed to imply that if I was coming by Friday afternoon (on July 31st), they might dismiss the one day pro-rated fee... so it may also be the same for others if they are coming in Friday afternoon. Don't quote me on this though. Jose said that on Saturday, August 1st the Residence Life office would be open, since the school is expecting a lot of students to be moving in then.

Now if someone wanted to move in several days in advance... I don't know if that would work or not as some of the apartments aren't even being completed until mid-July. But then again, I don't think anyone would really want to move in very early, as that person would be all by himself.

Anyone else's MWUnet down?

For those still in wait, such as myself, admissions committee will be meeting this thurs/friday to fill the rest of the open seats. Good luck to everyone who is in that situation.

Anybody know if they did meet last week? Any new WL movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in. I'm ecstatic !!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats! :) I'm glad the positive thoughts worked. ;) Make sure you join the Facebook group for our class as well, as there are a lot of us over there too.

Is AZCOM your top choice, or are you still hoping to get off the waitlist at SOMA?

Congrats! :) I'm glad the positive thoughts worked. ;) Make sure you join the Facebook group for our class as well, as there are a lot of us over there too.

Is AZCOM your top choice, or are you still hoping to get off the waitlist at SOMA?

Thanks for the positive thoughts! I appreciate them :laugh:

AZCOM IS my #1, in my hometown, historically above average board scores, good school all around. I am where I want to be. Thanks, cheers to positive thinking !!! :D

Congrats, I've seen you posting here for a while. Glad to see u finally got accepted. See u in August :)

Thanks, like everyone, I am very looking forward to it. I'm a non-trad, 29-years old and have been seeking this for almost 8 years now. It's a dream come true. Now it's all over but the work right??? See you in August!

I plan on calling Jose tomorrow, but does anyone know if there will be any more student housing opening up before August?

Thanks, like everyone, I am very looking forward to it. I'm a non-trad, 29-years old and have been seeking this for almost 8 years now. It's a dream come true. Now it's all over but the work right??? See you in August!

I plan on calling Jose tomorrow, but does anyone know if there will be any more student housing opening up before August?

Yay! I'm glad there are some more 'older' students in our class. I'm 27 (going on 28 in a few months), and I figured I'd be the 'big sister' to our class... so it's nice to see some more people of my age as well. :) The only bummer is that most people of my age seem to already be married, so I don't expect the socialization to be anything like undergrad... as I figure most people in their late 20s/early 30s just wouldn't have the time juggling med school with spouses and kids. Oh well.

As far as housing goes, I spoke to Jose a few days ago. Most of the housing is full now, although I believe there are still a few luxury 1 bedrooms (without dishwasher) left on 2nd/3rd floors (the 1st floors are gone, as are the lux 1 bdrs with dishwasher). So if you are hoping to live on campus, grab one of those apartments IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited:
hey married n broke

did you call to find out or did they call you?

just wondering

thanks

hey married n broke

did you call to find out or did they call you?

just wondering

thanks

i found out purely by checking online. Yesterday morning my MWU matriclation agreement was not there, at lunchtime, there it was. I just read how many other people find out first by online and so I checked frequently. Thanks, and good luck!

Yay! I'm glad there are some more 'older' students in our class. I'm 27 (going on 28 in a few months), and I figured I'd be the 'big sister' to our class... so it's nice to see some more people of my age as well. :) The only bummer is that most people of my age seem to already be married, so I don't expect the socialization to be anything like undergrad... as I figure most people in their late 20s/early 30s just wouldn't have the time juggling med school with spouses and kids. Oh well.

As far as housing goes, I spoke to Jose a few days ago. Most of the housing is full now, although I believe there are still a few luxury 1 bedrooms (without dishwasher) left on 2nd/3rd floors (the 1st floors are gone, as are the lux 1 bdrs with dishwasher). So if you are hoping to live on campus, grab one of those apartments IMMEDIATELY.

Don't worry. I'm 30 and not married and a non-traditional student. So I think I win the prize when it comes to being the old broad in the group. :laugh:

congratulations! Don't forget to change your MDapps!

thanks! I almost forgot. The best part right now is knowing that in just 4 short weeks, I'll have quit my job !!! Just had my employee annual eval interview yesterday and the GM told me he hopes I can be part of the company for 20 years !!! I haven't told him yet.:cool::D:cool:

thanks! I almost forgot. The best part right now is knowing that in just 4 short weeks, I'll have quit my job !!! Just had my employee annual eval interview yesterday and the GM told me he hopes I can be part of the company for 20 years !!! I haven't told him yet.:cool::D:cool:

Reading your posts you totally remind me of myself one year ago. So... if you really are anything like me you will LOVE medical school.

Don't worry. I'm 30 and not married and a non-traditional student. So I think I win the prize when it comes to being the old broad in the group. :laugh:

That's not so bad :) The average age of 2012 was 26-27, right? We'll all be around the same age.

Congrats married! Are you heading to Glendale this Fall for sure?

:D:D:D:D:D:D!!!!!

Found out earlier this week I'll be joining the rest of you at AZCOM. Just got off the phone with Dr. Kemper. She seems super nice and we talked a bit about the program, rotations, and I'm super excited to start in August.

Thanks Flushot. Just got the call last night. I'll start in August. I think I'll be moving to San Prado. It's the closest and newest I think. The toughest part will be finding a job for my wife. She has a teaching job here in Utah, but with all the teacher layoffs in AZ it doesn't look good this year for her in Glendale. We'll be moving the last week of July. Back to the HEAT !!! :eek:

Found out earlier this week I'll be joining the rest of you at AZCOM. Just got off the phone with Dr. Kemper. She seems super nice and we talked a bit about the program, rotations, and I'm super excited to start in August.

Congrats! Don't forget to join the facebook group!:thumbup:

Congrats !!

oh I'm so glad!!! That's fabulous news!! I knew we could all do it!! :)

That's great! Congrats on getting in and never having to look at the atrocious MCAT again :laugh:

It looks like we'll be seeing a lot of MA kids again this Fall :)

Thanks Flushot. Just got the call last night. I'll start in August. I think I'll be moving to San Prado. It's the closest and newest I think. The toughest part will be finding a job for my wife. She has a teaching job here in Utah, but with all the teacher layoffs in AZ it doesn't look good this year for her in Glendale. We'll be moving the last week of July. Back to the HEAT !!! :eek:

San Prado is pretty nice and is the closest apartment to the front entrance of the school I think, so if you plan to drive, it's a good choice. That's tricky about the wife job, but I'm sure she can find an opening in Peoria or a nearby city.

Did you do ALL 5 steps? You have to sign the Master Promissary Note (MPN)for both stafford and PLUS loans, take the online "class", do the MWU app, and submit your FAFSA. Once you do all those it takes about a week for the award letter to show up. If you have done all that, I would still try to contact the fin aid office...maybe e-mail them if you keep getting their voicemail. Good luck and see you in August!
All the steps were done. Financial Aid said everything on my part is done and I should find out 30 to 40 days before the term starts! That's awfully close, so it's pretty nerve wracking to have to wait to see if I should go for private loans...that being said, how often do people get denied for unsubsidized Stafford Loans?

All the steps were done. Financial Aid said everything on my part is done and I should find out 30 to 40 days before the term starts! That's awfully close, so it's pretty nerve wracking to have to wait to see if I should go for private loans...that being said, how often do people get denied for unsubsidized Stafford Loans?

I doubt highly that you would have to take out private loans. I applied for the full finaid and got every penny (which I hope to be able to decrease it once i figure out some kind of budget). Good luck and hopefully they get your award to you ASAP. Although, 40 days before the term starts is like 2 weeks away...thats CRAZY!!

this might have already been discussed, but in my quick searching i didn't find anything regarding this issue, but I honestly only looked for about 5 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions about health insurance for next year? How is the plan that midwestern offers? Any suggestions on private carriers if the school's plan is garbage? I'm from OH so i'm not sure if my insurance will be that great out there...i'm guessing AZ is out of medical mutual of ohio's network....:(

also, it seems some people have gotten an award letter from financial aid already? I've tried calling a few times and left some messages but to no avail. Does anyone have an email or direct # that i could see what's up with my award letter?

on a personal note:

I'm off to vegas this week for a college reunion with my gals...i figure it will be a practice run at desert heat! This is basically my only real vacation before school starts, hopefully i come back in one piece. I've never been to vegas before..if anyone has any suggestions on where to go/what to do that would be awesome!

I'm so excited to start, but not excited to move!!:laugh:

this might have already been discussed, but in my quick searching i didn't find anything regarding this issue, but I honestly only looked for about 5 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions about health insurance for next year? How is the plan that midwestern offers? Any suggestions on private carriers if the school's plan is garbage? I'm from OH so i'm not sure if my insurance will be that great out there...i'm guessing AZ is out of medical mutual of ohio's network....:(

The plan offered by the school is from Aetna..Here is the info for 2008-09 - http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/schools/midwestariz/brochure0809.pdf
Maybe that will help you get an idea about the plan they offer us.
on a personal note:

I'm off to vegas this week for a college reunion with my gals...i figure it will be a practice run at desert heat! This is basically my only real vacation before school starts, hopefully i come back in one piece. I've never been to vegas before..if anyone has any suggestions on where to go/what to do that would be awesome!

Enjoy your vacation. I've tried to travel and have as much fun as possible during my break as well!

I'm so excited to start, but not excited to move!!:laugh:

I'm in the same boat.:laugh:

Does anyone know if we receive a book/supply list? If so, any idea when we will receive it?

Well I got my financial aid today! I got the full amount of the unsubsidized Stafford Loan! It was a surprise to me to get the subsidized part as well! I though the subsidized part was only awarded based on need, but I guess not!

Well I got my financial aid today! I got the full amount of the unsubsidized Stafford Loan! It was a surprise to me to get the subsidized part as well! I though the subsidized part was only awarded based on need, but I guess not!

Did you also need to take a Grad Plus loan or will the stafford cover the whole COA?

Well.... I'm losing hope in being taken off the alternate list... Do you think its too soon to start reapplying? I'm so sick of waiting....:(

Well.... I'm losing hope in being taken off the alternate list... Do you think its too soon to start reapplying? I'm so sick of waiting....:(

There have been years when AZCOM continued to fill their class up until the first day of classes. However, I'd still go ahead and start the reapplication process.

I understand the frustration you feel. Don't give up hope though, your time will come, hopefully sooner than later.

It isn't too soon to start applying however. I set a deadline date of June 19 (3rd week of application cycle) If I heard nothing by then I was going to click "submit and pay" for the 2010 app. You got to play it safe. You can still apply now and be "ahead" of the game for next year's app cycle. What r u lookin at losing, a few hundred bucks by applying now and still get accepted? (if that's the case and you do get accepted, the debt you're going to take on will completly dwarf the few hundred bucks). ADDED AS AN AFTERTHOUGHT: Not to mention the excitement and relief of getting in this year will completely wash away any regret over losing the 2010 application fee.

Don't give up!

Did you also need to take a Grad Plus loan or will the stafford cover the whole COA?

Here's the COA budget set by MWU (off campus housing & School-offered Insurance plan)
Financial Aid Budget Set by MWU
(Off Campus Housing / School Offered Insurance)

Tuition 45,469
Student Services Fee 400
Health Insurance Fee 2,400
Disability Insurance 50
Books and Supplies 3,465
Off-Campus Rent/Utilities 10,000
Food 3,700
Transportation 4,905
Personal Expenses 3,630
Loan Fees 1,550
Total Budget 75,569

Here's the Maximum Financial Aid awards allowed (determined by the above budget). This covers the whole COA:

Maximum Financial Aid Awards

Fed Sub. Stafford Loan (click for info)
Total Award 8,500
Fall 2009 2,833
Winter 2009 2,833
Spring 2010 2,834
Fed Unsub Stafford Loan (click for info)
Total Award 34,222
Fall 2009 11,407
Winter 2009 11,407
Spring 2010 11,408
Graduate PLUS Loan (click for info)
Total Award 32,847
Fall 2009 10,949
Winter 2009 10,949
Spring 2010 10,949

Total Aid
Fall 2009 25,189
Winter 2009 25,189
Spring 2010 25,191
Total Award 75,569

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we receive a book/supply list? If so, any idea when we will receive it?

You won't receive one. We never did, anyway.

There will be very few books you need to buy. I know some people that just don't buy any books at all. Your intro to clinical medicine professor will tell you what medical equipment to buy your first or second day of class (stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, etc...).

Hey all,
Rising M2 here. Check the azcom 2013 forum under "medical student" forums. I posted a book/supply list there a while ago and I'm too lazy to re-type it (I'll probably post it in a forum on the facebook page too, so I don't have to re-tpye it again....lol).

Have fun

P.s. No you won't recieve a book or supply list. Suggested/"required" books will be listed in the syllabus (like in undergrad).

I understand the frustration you feel. Don't give up hope though, your time will come, hopefully sooner than later.

It isn't too soon to start applying however. I set a deadline date of June 19 (3rd week of application cycle) If I heard nothing by then I was going to click "submit and pay" for the 2010 app. You got to play it safe. You can still apply now and be "ahead" of the game for next year's app cycle. What r u lookin at losing, a few hundred bucks by applying now and still get accepted? (if that's the case and you do get accepted, the debt you're going to take on will completly dwarf the few hundred bucks). ADDED AS AN AFTERTHOUGHT: Not to mention the excitement and relief of getting in this year will completely wash away any regret over losing the 2010 application fee.

Don't give up!

:laugh: Haha! Love it!!! I totally agree with you! I'm almost done with the 2010 application... just trying to freshen up my lovely personal statement (which I really hate doing because it seems like it can always get better and better but eventually you just have to say enough is enough!!!).

Well, I'll continue to hope to get off the waitlist! :xf:

average entry age of the 2011 graduating class was around 26.5 or higher, so no biggy

average entry age of the 2011 graduating class was around 26.5 or higher, so no biggy

I am curious if this is the mean or median average age though. My assumption is that while the mean age might be about 26-27 (due to a few people in their 30s or 40s pushing the average age upwards), I figured the median age would be about 23-24. Not that it really matters, as I mesh well with people of all ages... but this is just a guess.

My 24 year old sister is sometimes more mature than me anyways.... I'm more idealistic and intellectual, but she's the more pragmatic and responsible one. :)

Yeah, I think 26-27 was the average age for the 2012 class, so I expect this one to be the same. They will probably do a little age range chart for us at orientation.

Alright, hopefully someone who got accepted can help me and a few other former MA people out. I'm getting my physical tomorrow for AZCOM's requirements but since we graduated from the MA program, I can't seem to access the regular student page on online.midwestern.edu

If someone who got accepted and was not from the MA program could please go to online.midwestern.edu and in the Student Services tab, download and upload the PDFs for the Immunization and Physical exam here, I would be eternally grateful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.