AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received mine approx 3wks after i interviewed. Are you applying to the SMP at MWU? You can do a transfer app from your AZCOM app to the SMP real easy and it in no way affects your WL status (and it's FREE). Attached is a copy of the transfer application form. You should call the admin office for details.

Hmmm....I haven't received a letter stating I was placed on the alternate list...and to be honest I don't remember ever getting one last year (yea I'm a repeat alt lister)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm....I haven't received a letter stating I was placed on the alternate list...and to be honest I don't remember ever getting one last year (yea I'm a repeat alt lister)

interesting... did you get an email or phone call? bc i found out initially only by me calling them, then i received the snail mail ~3wks later with a recommendation to send in my transcripts, complete FA, etc...

Have you had a file review yet, Bivvie? I am really surprised that you haven't been accepted due to your solid MCAT and grades (in the master's program). Are you lacking extracurriculars, etc? I think if someone is a reapplicant to a school after being waitlisted previously and does a SMP on top of that - it really shows that person has the drive to be a med student. If I was in your place, I would really want to know what about my application was still lacking. Just wondering.

Anyway, here is a :luck::xf: for you. Hope everything works out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you had a file review yet, Bivvie? I am really surprised that you haven't been accepted due to your solid MCAT and grades (in the master's program). Are you lacking extracurriculars, etc? I think if someone is a reapplicant to a school after being waitlisted previously and does a SMP on top of that - it really shows that person has the drive to be a med student. If I was in your place, I would really want to know what about my application was still lacking. Just wondering.

Anyway, here is a :luck::xf: for you. Hope everything works out.

i met with the director of admissions last week and he said my deficiency was my cumulative gpa....but after recalculating it with the first 2 quarters of this program it went up quite a bit (science now about 3.0). he acted like my chances were good but suggested i talk to the dean because my application has changed so much since it was first reviewed. basically when they looked at my app to make a decision, they saw my undergrad gpa, then saw my grade in the masters program...but didn't see the two put together as my cumulative gpa...so my cumulative was just my undergrad (terrible) gpa.

also, i only ever heard my status from calling. never received a letter or email or anything.

I agree with rkaz, you have proven you can do it... if only we could choose who our adcom was comprised of... I wish you luck and as was sung on Idol tonight, nothing can stand between you and your dreams, not a mountain, or a hurricane. (how's that for some inspiration)

i met with the director of admissions last week and he said my deficiency was my cumulative gpa....but after recalculating it with the first 2 quarters of this program it went up quite a bit (science now about 3.0). he acted like my chances were good but suggested i talk to the dean because my application has changed so much since it was first reviewed. basically when they looked at my app to make a decision, they saw my undergrad gpa, then saw my grade in the masters program...but didn't see the two put together as my cumulative gpa...so my cumulative was just my undergrad (terrible) gpa.

also, i only ever heard my status from calling. never received a letter or email or anything.

What and how exactly do you get a file review?

What and how exactly do you get a file review?

I think it should be a basic courtesy for all schools to provide file reviews for their applicants after robbing us of hunderds of dollars in application fees, etc. especially if they wasted our time to interview and then WL/reject afterward. That said, I'm not exactly sure how one goes about getting one here at AZCOM, but I've been able to get file reviews via email and phone at several other schools (I was a reapplicant this cycle). I've found it to be very helpful; for example, in my case, one of my LORs was weak and I screwed up one of my interviews (unknowingly) last year, things I wouldn't have known about otherwise and was thus able to improve upon this time around.

Today is the day for deposits. Should expect some WL movement soon! Anyone recently withdraw from AZCOM??? Please update us, it will be much appreciated. THANKS and GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey, congrats to you both! It was a pretty big day yesterday, but it's awfully quiet in the forums. Maybe everyone is on vacation.

Hi everyone! I am AZCOM's class of 2013 and waiting to withdraw if I hear back from CCOM (off the waitlist). All those who want to get into AZCOM pray for me!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Medic, you'd be surprised how many of us are waiting to hear somewhere else. We're pulling for you too :)

That said, it would be nice to meet everyone in this thread and the 2013 thread. I haven't been in there much but I think I'll stop by.

I know I am still on a couple waitlists and if I get accepted off of one fo them, I won't be attendign AZCOM. I was accepted to several schools and narrowed it down to AZCOM, so I would still be pleased to attend AZCOM; however, I think several people are still in my same position. Good luck to everyone on waitlists and wherever we end up, we'll be successful!

By the way, how's the weather been in gold ole' Glendale?! :D

Denver has been rainy nearly every day this past week! But alas the sun shines.

I know I am still on a couple waitlists and if I get accepted off of one fo them, I won't be attendign AZCOM. I was accepted to several schools and narrowed it down to AZCOM, so I would still be pleased to attend AZCOM; however, I think several people are still in my same position. Good luck to everyone on waitlists and wherever we end up, we'll be successful!

Yup. I am in the exact same boat.

Hi everyone, I just withdrew my spot at AZCOM....so I hope this helps out someone on the waitlist!! :)

Good luck!!!! :luck:

By the way, how's the weather been in gold ole' Glendale?! :D

Denver has been rainy nearly every day this past week! But alas the sun shines.

I just left for the summer, but Glendale can get pretty scorching, although it did 'rain' for a few days before I left on Sunday. That said, it is the desert, so it can't stay cool for long now.

Congrats on getting in off your waitlist though :)

Hi everyone, I just withdrew my spot at AZCOM....so I hope this helps out someone on the waitlist!! :)

Good luck!!!! :luck:

Hey, congrats on your acceptance. I'm sure a few people here will be hoping to get that seat. Good luck to you.

After the $1000 deposit, were we supposed to put down another deposit? I never got a notice to do so...just want to verify that I didn't miss anything!

After the $1000 deposit, were we supposed to put down another deposit? I never got a notice to do so...just want to verify that I didn't miss anything!

I had the same question a little while back and from what I gathered there was no second deposit required.:thumbup:

Hey, did anyone else notice that in the matriculation agreement, it says we have to complete a little over 249 credit hours to get the degree. If you also see the last few classes at AZCOM, this is about 15 credit hours more than those years. Anyone have any ideas about what these new classes could be or could they just be more rotations?

i haven't yet received a phone call, but I just checked the online website and had a matriculation agreement, so I'm all paid and ready to join the rest of you next year!! FINALLY!!!! good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!!

i haven't yet received a phone call, but I just checked the online website and had a matriculation agreement, so I'm all paid and ready to join the rest of you next year!! FINALLY!!!! good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!!

CONGRATULATIONS !!! You've got to be on cloud 9.

Hey, did anyone else notice that in the matriculation agreement, it says we have to complete a little over 249 credit hours to get the degree. If you also see the last few classes at AZCOM, this is about 15 credit hours more than those years. Anyone have any ideas about what these new classes could be or could they just be more rotations?

I think a mandatory business/finance management course would be great, since my plan to marry rich fell through.

Congrats bivvie!!!! You'll do awesome at AZCOM!

thanks everyone!! :thumbup: :p :claps:

Congrats!! nice to see another ohio-an in the class for next year (checked your other profile). also since you are already in AZ for the masters program, maybe you have some tips for moving from ohio in terms of cheapest possible option. look forward to meeting you in the fall..i can't wait to start!!!

Hey, congrats on your acceptance!

Congrats, Bivvie. I hope to get a spot too :)

I think this has been brought up before, but I cant seem to find the topic in older posts.

Does MWU have a wireless network on campus so that if I am in the library with my laptop/crackberry I can get online to check emails, etc? Or is there no wireless network whatsoever? Also, in terms of cell phone coverage on campus, is T Mobile adequate? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any input. :D

I think this has been brought up before, but I cant seem to find the topic in older posts.

Does MWU have a wireless network on campus so that if I am in the library with my laptop/crackberry I can get online to check emails, etc? Or is there no wireless network whatsoever? Also, in terms of cell phone coverage on campus, is T Mobile adequate? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any input. :D

Wireless internet access is available in the library, student lounge, cafeteria, and gym. It is not available in the lecture halls. T-Mobile works great (that is what I use).

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted off of the Alternate List. I just received a call late this afternoon and I am now a part of this year's class!!!!!!!!:D Good luck to those of you who are still on the list. I'm sure things will work out for you!! :)

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted off of the Alternate List. I just received a call late this afternoon and I am now a part of this year's class!!!!!!!!:D Good luck to those of you who are still on the list. I'm sure things will work out for you!! :)

Congrats, it feels so great to get the good news! :D

Anyone think a letter of interest will help put my app on the radar?

Anyone think a letter of interest will help put my app on the radar?

it certainly can't hurt....unless of course you have terrible grammar and talk about how you want to go to AZCOM solely for the weather

let em know you want it

Anyone else's MWUnet down?

For those still in wait, such as myself, admissions committee will be meeting this thurs/friday to fill the rest of the open seats. Good luck to everyone who is in that situation.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many open seats they will be filling?

My MWU was up this morning, and just now when I checked...

Are you serious? This week is the last week for open seats? That seems quick to me, but I guess I haven't paid close attention. Good luck to those still waiting and remember, people do get in at orientation so it's far from over.

weird....admissions people told me that the class was full, and that alternate listed people would just have to wait and see if people decide to go to another school?

hope for the best.

weird....admissions people told me that the class was full, and that alternate listed people would just have to wait and see if people decide to go to another school?

hope for the best.

when did you call? bc the class fills up, then people drop one by one to take other offers, then the adcom re-meets and re-fills the class. This will go on until either a) nobody else leaves to take another acceptance b) classes begin -- historically, the adcom has to meet several times over the summer to fill spots that open up... most years (from what I gather), the class isn't finalized until very late July, or even orientation week.

Does anyone have any indication as to being high, middle, or low on the list?

For those still in wait, such as myself, admissions committee will be meeting this thurs/friday to fill the rest of the open seats. Good luck to everyone who is in that situation.

Did you hear that from the admissions office yesterday?

Did you hear that from the admissions office yesterday?

They told me on Monday. Since I live in Glendale, I'm going to try to go down there today to hopefully find out what's really going on since each of us seem to be getting different information.

hope for the best.

Just talked w/ admissions. Technically, they're full. But was told that people drop daily. I told them what I was told on Monday and they couldn't confirm that the admissions committee will be meeting this week. They mentioned the possibility of not finding out until the week before class.

Like many of you, some going through it this year or in years past, its driving me a little crazy. I think if I don't hear anything by next week its time to start anew, w/ application and MCAT.

Here's hoping for the best :xf:

Someone just posted in the AZCOM Class of 2013 thread about 2 hours ago that they just dropped out of the class today. Good luck to all of you who are waiting and hopefully we will get to meet some of you in August :)

They told me on Monday. Since I live in Glendale, I'm going to try to go down there today to hopefully find out what's really going on since each of us seem to be getting different information.

Please let us know what they say!

Just talked w/ admissions. Technically, they're full. But was told that people drop daily. I told them what I was told on Monday and they couldn't confirm that the admissions committee will be meeting this week. They mentioned the possibility of not finding out until the week before class.

Like many of you, some going through it this year or in years past, its driving me a little crazy. I think if I don't hear anything by next week its time to start anew, w/ application and MCAT.

Here's hoping for the best :xf:

Good luck on your meeting. It will definitely help to see them in person. Also, like Dciple mentioned, people are dropping so it's technically not over.

the MWUnet problem seems to only be happening to those of us who just graduated...they obviously didn't pay attention to who was still an applicant/going to be entering another program @ MWU. Someone talked to IT earlier and they weren't aware of the issue but told them they'd fix it for all of us...so far that hasn't happened. Quite annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.