AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a pool in azcom's new gym, or an outdoor pool besides the campus pools? I asked this in the med school forum but no1 answered

I am pretty sure there isn't one in the new student recreation/wellness center, and the one located in on-campus housing is pretty small :(

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt that more than 50 spots will shift from now until first day of classes.

I'm still not believing that they had years that they went through the entire waiting list AND called more people! That would mean that approximately 50% of their offers were refused/denied (obviously depending on the number of WL'd applicants). Maybe AZCOM got selfish this year and interviewed way more than usual (and waitlisted a lot more than usual), expecting a lot of "no shows" due to the ailing economy. :confused:

My state school went down to 64 on the WL last year out of a class size of 110. It's highly conceivable to me that at least 100 WL spots will be given out to fill the 250 class size here. But I am also not convinced on the part of them completely exhausting their waitlist in previous years and actually calling additional people (how exactly would that work, anyway?)

I figure it would be the other way around. Ailing economy = more people wanting to get into healthcare because its a "safe" industry.

According to the tour lady, they are expecting a lot of "no shows" because students with multiple acceptances will opt to attend cheaper or home state schools. In other words, they are not expecting AZCOM to be the top choice for many applicants. I would imagine that the hurting economy would encourage students to remain in-state to save. This probably explains the tendency for AZCOM to blow through their WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if makes anyone feel better, but I removed myself from the waitlist today. Best wishes!

According to the tour lady, they are expecting a lot of "no shows" because students with multiple acceptances will opt to attend cheaper or home state schools. In other words, they are not expecting AZCOM to be the top choice for many applicants. I would imagine that the hurting economy would encourage students to remain in-state to save. This probably explains the tendency for AZCOM to blow through their WL.

Lets hope they fly through all 160 names. :xf::xf::laugh:

Just called today... Is the lady who answers the phone named "DEE" or "BEE"???

Anyways, she said movement from the list will begin after the 22nd since thats the deposit cut-off. Does somebody know how many seats are filled as of now?

Anyways, she said movement from the list will begin after the 22nd since thats the deposit cut-off. Does somebody know how many seats are filled as of now?

If Facebook is any kind of indication, there are 116 of us in the AZCOM Class of 2013 group.

Edit: Also, some of the members are already at AZCOM and not a part of the 2013 class.

If Facebook is any kind of indication, there are 116 of us in the AZCOM Class of 2013 group.

Edit: Also, some of the members are already at AZCOM and not a part of the 2013 class.

I also see some people in the facebook group who have no intention of attending AZCOM (already accepted into other programs).

can anyone tell me what the difference between a alternate list vs a waitlist is?

or is there a difference?

thanks

can anyone tell me what the difference between a alternate list vs a waitlist is?

or is there a difference?

thanks

I was on the phone with AZCOM and said "wait list" and was corrected. They told me that for them there is a difference:
Alternate list = interviewed, accepted, waiting on a spot
Waiting list = waiting for an interview spot
(but at this point, interviews are over so there effectivly is no difference)

Since the waitlist is unranked...do they just pull names out of a hat or are they just keeping their process secretive?

:idea:
The only logical guess I can make is that they try to fill certain demographic quotas and they don't know what type of candidate will be needed until people start to withdraw......Once someone withdrawls, then they want to fill his/her place with a demographically similar candidate .....Or maybe they just want to be secretive because it makes them feel powerful......

Good luck to us all :xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
:idea:
The only logical guess I can make is that they try to fill certain demographic quotas and they don't know what type of candidate will be needed until people start to withdraw......Once someone withdrawls, then they want to fill his/her place with a demographically similar candidate .....Or maybe they just want to be secretive because it makes them feel powerful......

Good luck to us all :xf::luck:

I was told that when a spot becomes available for a wait-lister they go through and re-evaluate candidates for the spot

I was told that when a spot becomes available for a wait-lister they go through and re-evaluate candidates for the spot

They re-evaluate every candidiate? Seems inefficient...It still doesn't make sense why they don't rank their list...

I was told the same and I agree with Lai. Seems too inefficient to be what they actually do. The list has to be ranked, but they are probably keeping it a secret as to not create too much anxiety for those waiting for a spot.

Scenerio:

Lai finds out he is number 65 on the list and 64 applicants have already been pulled off the list. It's the day before the first day of classes and Lai is too anxious and getting desperate for a spot. He stalks a fellow SDNer who he knows will be class of 2013 and creates a situation so that this student cannot attend school. A spot now opens for Lai to join the class.

I was told the same and I agree with Lai. Seems too inefficient to be what they actually do. The list has to be ranked, but they are probably keeping it a secret as to not create too much anxiety for those waiting for a spot.

Scenerio:

Lai finds out he is number 65 on the list and 64 applicants have already been pulled off the list. It's the day before the first day of classes and Lai is too anxious and getting desperate for a spot. He stalks a fellow SDNer who he knows will be class of 2013 and creates a situation so that this student cannot attend school. A spot now opens for Lai to join the class.

:laugh:

Realistically I think the WL is at least separated into "high/medium/low" in terms of who they'd be most likely to accept as more spots open. It doesn't make sense to me either that they would review all 100+ applications every time a seat becomes available.

the list IS ranked, but they no longer give out information regarding what position you are in the list because the dean has control over who gets in and can choose to not follow the ranking.
In the past they had issues when applicant X (who was told they were 8th on the list) finds out applicant Y (who was told they were 10th) got in before X did, because the dean decided Y was a better choice than X. Sorry if that was confusing haha. While this doesn't typically happen, it can, so they just choose not to tell anyone where they sit on the list.
The committee is set to meet sometime in the first 2 weeks of June to rank the list, so I was told not to expect any movement until then.

the list IS ranked, but they no longer give out information regarding what position you are in the list because the dean has control over who gets in and can choose to not follow the ranking.
In the past they had issues when applicant X (who was told they were 8th on the list) finds out applicant Y (who was told they were 10th) got in before X did, because the dean decided Y was a better choice than X. Sorry if that was confusing haha. While this doesn't typically happen, it can, so they just choose not to tell anyone where they sit on the list.
The committee is set to meet sometime in the first 2 weeks of June to rank the list, so I was told not to expect any movement until then.

Weird.

Makes sense to me. Good luck.

Even if the list isn't ranked it is surely "binned".

There are a myriad of ways they could bin it, but creating three or four bins and then reviewing applicants from the highest (or most apropos bin by whatever criteria things were setup) would be reasonable.

There are lots of ways to deal with such things beyond a ranking.

It's interesting that they stopped telling people where they are, although I would understand if they just didn't say anything at all. When you think about it, the less information they confirm for people, the more control they'll have over the situation and who they want and don't want. It makes a lot of sense on their end.

That said, I think it's fortunate that you can send them materials to improve your situation, so yeah...get those LoIs drafted just in case :)

I've been here since August and I've seen 1 scorpion (in someone else's house), 0 black widows and 0 tarantulas. My wife DID kill a cockroach in the house yesterday and now she is totally flipping out. Only one we've seen so far though. What HAVE seen a lot of are coyotes and javelinas. Those startle me a lot more than the bugs.

I seriously hope the student housing is pretty bug free. I will have a nervous breakdown if there are roaches in the campus apartments. I have a few traumatic bug stories to share, so feel free to ask me about them when we are in classes together.

There are a few roaches, but to be honest, I'd prefer those over gnats and other small flying insects any day. Fortunately, there seem to be a minimal amount of those, since there is little standing water that isn't pumped with toxic chlorine :)

But, yeah, after being here a few months, I've seem more roaches here than all my years living in TX, so take that for what you will.

There are a few roaches, but to be honest, I'd prefer those over gnats and other small flying insects any day. Fortunately, there seem to be a minimal amount of those, since there is little standing water that isn't pumped with toxic chlorine :)

But, yeah, after being here a few months, I've seem more roaches here than all my years living in TX, so take that for what you will.

Oh, I don't mind the small flying gnats too much, as I've seen them from time to time and have gotten pretty adept at killing them. I'll be glad to remove your gnats if you need help with those... no problem.

The roaches are a whole nother story though for me. Crickets bother me as well, though not to the extent of roaches. If one comes in my apartment, I will definitely need to get a guy's help to get them out (though sometimes the guys seem even more squeamish than the women). If you can get out my crickets and roaches from my place, I'll be more than happy to help remove your gnats or fruitflies from your apartment.

Haha, no problem :) Roaches just annoy me because they're hard to kill. Oh and yeah, during fall quarter, there were a bizarre amount of desert crickets everywhere, especially on the sidewalks outside the school. I don't know about near the campus housing, but yeah, lots of crickets and roaches unfortunately.

I'm afraid of living somewhere that has scorpions and tarantulas. :oops:(
I can't live on campus because I have a dog. I did find a place online that I liked and is close to school (Sage Stone), but I read some reviews that said there was a scorpion infestation and someone found two tarantulas in their kitchen. I would freaking flip my lid! I am really paranoid about this bug issue.......

I'm afraid of living somewhere that has scorpions and tarantulas. :oops:(
I can't live on campus because I have a dog. I did find a place online that I liked and is close to school (Sage Stone), but I read some reviews that said there was a scorpion infestation and someone found two tarantulas in their kitchen. I would freaking flip my lid! I am really paranoid about this bug issue.......

Wow, I've lived in Arizona pretty much my whole life, and I've never seen a tarantula in my house or apartment. We had a few scorpions over the years in my parents' place, and sometimes I'd see little spiders, or silverfish, but nothing too scary. Sometimes there are little lizards too, but those are typically outside the house and don't usually come inside. The little lizards don't really scare me.... they're kinda cute, as long as they don't touch me. Besides the rare scorpion, I don't think you have too much to worry about. On the positive side, Arizona doesn't have many mosquitos compared to other places. I lived in Washington DC for about 5 months some years ago, and the mosquitos were killing me. Thankfully it's much better over here and I never wear insect repellant living in Arizona. Besides the roaches and crickets, I am not really bothered by the bugs here. You'll rarely get bitten by a mosquito, perhaps only a bit when the rains come. My current apartment has a bit too many silverfish slithering around which is kinda annoying, but manageable. One of the main issues with crickets and silverfish and moths is that they like to eat your clothes, so it's annoying getting holes in your favorite garments. I'd be somewhat bothered if I saw scorpions where I was living, but I hear they are more in the mountains and in new construction areas - I haven't seen them in my parents house all that often. Plus, scorpions don't run very fast (not like roaches!), so it is not overly difficult to try to put a cup over a scorpion and release it outside. I'd only be afraid of scorpions if they came into my bed, or if I stepped near one in the dark, but otherwise its not an issue. My parents have had pest control for scorpions many times, but scorpions are very hard to kill off. Oh well. Roaches are my true nightmare that put me into a panic, everything else I can handle fairly well. Most of all these bugs come out during the summer and fall, and disappear in the winter and cold months.

Last edited:
I am wondering... are any of you guys starting to get rejection letters from DO schools recently that you never heard back from earlier? I just recently got rejection notices from CCOM, PCOM-GA etc. My stats are perfectly competitive at those schools, and I consider myself a well-rounded applicant, and haven't been rejected by any DO schools earlier in the season. Thus I am wondering if the schools never even looked at our applications, but simply ran out of interview slots. I don't mean to sound arrogant in the slightest by assuming that I should get an interview at all the places I applied, it's just that I know there weren't any holes in my application... besides the fact that my files were complete in November. I called some of the DO schools back in March who I never heard from, and the admissions offices I called (who were able to disclose info on my status) told me that my file still hadn't been reviewed (even though it was complete in their offices for months). Thus I am wondering if many of us are just getting rejected now by default of the class being full. I wonder if I would have gotten interviews at those schools if my file was complete earlier or if I was a resident of that state. In fact, schools like CCOM I never got an official rejection letter, I got an email that said "We regret that we were unable to offer you a seat in your specific program of choice. However, if you are interested in learning more about other healthcare careers, we invite you to consider these additional programs offered within our College of Health Sciences." And then it went on to tell me about their other programs. I guess that was their roundabout way of telling me that I was rejected.

Anyways, it doesn't matter since AZCOM is my top choice DO school anyways... but I just find this curious. If I had gotten rejected by DO schools earlier in the season, then I might have thought that something was lacking in my application. However, since the first rejections are rolling in now, it is just my hypothesis that many of the schools really didn't get around to reviewing our applications in detail, and just filled up their classes... and now are sending rejection letters to those whose files they didn't really spend the time analyzing. I wonder once their classes were almost full, if they just did a quick scan of any near 4.0 GPAs and high MCAT scores from the pile of remaining applications, and then just sent rejection letters to the rest of the people whose files they never got around to analyzing... even those with 3.5 GPAs etc who they might have accepted if they had looked at their applications earlier. I am not upset here, I am just wondering.

Last edited:
I am wondering... are any of you guys starting to get rejection letters from DO schools recently that you never heard back from earlier? I just recently got rejection notices from CCOM, PCOM-GA etc. My stats are perfectly competitive at those schools, and I consider myself a well-rounded applicant, and haven't been rejected by any DO schools earlier in the season. Thus I am wondering if the schools never even looked at our applications, but simply ran out of interview slots. I don't mean to sound arrogant in the slightest by assuming that I should get an interview at all the places I applied, it's just that I know there weren't any holes in my application... besides the fact that my files were complete in November. I called some of the DO schools back in March who I never heard from, and the admissions offices I called (who were able to disclose info on my status) told me that my file still hadn't been reviewed (even though it was complete in their offices for months). Thus I am wondering if many of us are just getting rejected now by default of the class being full. I wonder if I would have gotten interviews at those schools if my file was complete earlier or if I was a resident of that state. In fact, schools like CCOM I never got an official rejection letter, I got an email that said "We regret that we were unable to offer you a seat in your specific program of choice. However, if you are interested in learning more about other healthcare careers, we invite you to consider these additional programs offered within our College of Health Sciences." And then it went on to tell me about their other programs. I guess that was their roundabout way of telling me that I was rejected.

Anyways, it doesn't matter since AZCOM is my top choice DO school anyways... but I just find this curious. If I had gotten rejected by DO schools earlier in the season, then I might have thought that something was lacking in my application. However, since the first rejections are rolling in now, it is just my hypothesis that many of the schools really didn't get around to reviewing our applications in detail, and just filled up their classes... and now are sending rejection letters to those whose files they didn't really spend the time analyzing. I wonder once their classes were almost full, if they just did a quick scan of any near 4.0 GPAs and high MCAT scores from the pile of remaining applications, and then just sent rejection letters to the rest of the people whose files they never got around to analyzing... even those with 3.5 GPAs etc who they might have accepted if they had looked at their applications earlier. I am not upset here, I am just wondering.

Rkaz, seeing as our numbers are nearly identical, I would venture to say that whatever happened to you happened to me as well, as I have also started receiving formal rejection letters/emails from schools I never otherwise heard back from since September. However, I do think if I'd indicated more interest via update letters (or at the very least, forwarding my updated transcripts, which quite honestly, I was much too lazy to bother with after I'd received my first acceptance), I may have received more interview invites during the spring, which I would have of course declined at that point (perhaps these schools knew they were 'back ups' since we're not from the area?) But these are just guesses. I suppose we could call the schools and request file reviews, but do you honestly care enough at this point? I know that I don't. If you do follow through though, would you mind posting or PMing what they say because I am curious to know where my $50-$100 fees went as well.

My guess would be that your essays/secondaries didn't match what the particular school was looking for. D.O. school's aren't hung up on the numbers so I think it really boils down to your essays and extracurriculars. I applied pretty late (sent in secondaries at end of December and first week in January) and still got an interview at AZCOM and KCUMB. And my gpa was a 3.5 and a 26Q on the mcat. I also think that they liked my 4+ years of research, 3 yrs of being a TA, and 500 hours doing clincial research in the ED. For the couple schools that didn't contact me I figured that I applied too late and/or my essays and research experience didn't line up with a perfect fit for their school. I have heard that some schools like UNECOM do fill up their interviews fairly early.

But it is funny to me that everyone insists that a LOI is the golden ticket because I've spoken to 2 different schools admissions people that told me to not bother with it since it doesn't change their ranking. Just because someone happened to send one in and got an acceptance doesn't mean that they wouldn't have gotten that acceptance regardless. I would ask the admissions people at the school your interested in before assuming that it will help.

Oh hell no!!! I cannot handle roaches....ARHGHGHG

My guess would be that your essays/secondaries didn't match what the particular school was looking for. D.O. school's aren't hung up on the numbers so I think it really boils down to your essays and extracurriculars. I applied pretty late (sent in secondaries at end of December and first week in January) and still got an interview at AZCOM and KCUMB. And my gpa was a 3.5 and a 26Q on the mcat. I also think that they liked my 4+ years of research, 3 yrs of being a TA, and 500 hours doing clincial research in the ED. For the couple schools that didn't contact me I figured that I applied too late and/or my essays and research experience didn't line up with a perfect fit for their school. I have heard that some schools like UNECOM do fill up their interviews fairly early.

But it is funny to me that everyone insists that a LOI is the golden ticket because I've spoken to 2 different schools admissions people that told me to not bother with it since it doesn't change their ranking. Just because someone happened to send one in and got an acceptance doesn't mean that they wouldn't have gotten that acceptance regardless. I would ask the admissions people at the school your interested in before assuming that it will help.

I agree with this statement -- every school is different, and I know that especially for schools with "ranked" WL's these updates/LOI's really won't do anything. I am not sure how it works at AZCOM.

FYI one of my friends plans on withdrawing her acceptance soon, so that would help with the WL movement.

Award letters for 09-10 are now posted.

*edit* I have decided to take out 60k total (1000 fed work study, 34222 unsub stafford, 8500 sub stafford, 16278 grad plus) even though I qualified for 73079 (living on-campus). I was originally going to try and live off $55k, but then I noticed the tuition increase in addition to loan fees and the $400 student services fee (I will not be spending the $3500 on books/supplies or using their $2400 health insurance plan). How much is everyone else taking out?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we are supposed to be doing all that immunization stuff? Does it occur during orientation? (i'm talking about the titers and immunization records)

Also, are there any other behind the scenes things that we need to complete before school starts? I know we gotta do fin aid (i'm holding off on steps 4 and 5 until I know what is going on with my waitlist progress), immunization stuff, and send in transcripts. Any other craziness?

You'll need to get a physical and titers for vaccines. I believe the physical needs to be done before school starts, however, wait to do the vaccine titers until after school starts (and you get your aid). You will also need a 2 step TB test, call student services and see when they are doing the next TB test on campus (they do them periodically for students and it costs~15$)- you maybe able to wait to do it until after school starts also.

Hi Renny, my award letter isn't posted yet. I'm wondering why. Did you sign your Master Promissory Note yet? In the 'financial aid checklist' online, I did all the steps except that MPN part. Maybe that's why my note isn't up. I don't know.

The only reason I thought it would be good to wait to complete the MPN is because I thought if you got off the waitlist somewhere else, then you would have to pay both schools (the one you signed the MPN to initially, and then the school you later decided to matriculate into). That's why I thought we should all wait until just before schools starts before signing the MPN to one school. Though I might be totally wrong, I just assumed that. I'll probably fill out my MPN at the end of July, though hopefully this won't mess up my aid. I called the financial aid office, and they said I should be okay filling out the MPN in July. I am interested though in finding out what happens if someone fills out the MPN now, but then decides to matriculate elsewhere... can the MPN be rescinded if one decides not to matriculate? Or do you just owe the 60-70k at AZCOM PLUS whatever loans you take out at the school you get off the waitlist at? That would be pretty unnerving. I wonder if my question makes any sense.

Last edited:
Hi Renny, my award letter isn't posted yet. I'm wondering why. Did you sign your Master Promissory Note yet? In the 'financial aid checklist' online, I did all the steps except that MPN part. Maybe that's why my note isn't up. I don't know.

The only reason I thought it would be good to wait to complete the MPN is because I thought if you got off the waitlist somewhere else, then you would have to pay both schools (the one you signed the MPN to initially, and then the school you later decided to matriculate into). That's why I thought we should all wait until just before schools starts before signing the MPN to one school. Though I might be totally wrong, I just assumed that. I'll probably fill out my MPN at the end of July, though hopefully this won't mess up my aid. I called the financial aid office, and they said I should be okay filling out the MPN in July. I am interested though in finding out what happens if someone fills out the MPN now, but then decides to matriculate elsewhere... can the MPN be rescinded if one decides not to matriculate? Or do you just owe the 60-70k at AZCOM PLUS whatever loans you take out at the school you get off the waitlist at? That would be pretty unnerving. I wonder if my question makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense. But I hope that isn't what happens either, since I do plan on attending either school I am WL at if accepted. I just assumed you would need to transfer the checks to the other school, which is still a hassle, but I could be totally wrong.

I talked to financial aid office a few days ago about completing all the steps. They said that as long as you do it about 2 weeks before matriculation you should be fine. Also, they said that completing all the steps would not affect anything if you decided to go to a waitlisted school because they can deny the loans later if need be. Even though she said that, I still am not signing it until I for sure know that I am going to AZCOM, but that is just FYI for those concerned :)

I talked to financial aid office a few days ago about completing all the steps. They said that as long as you do it about 2 weeks before matriculation you should be fine. Also, they said that completing all the steps would not affect anything if you decided to go to a waitlisted school because they can deny the loans later if need be. Even though she said that, I still am not signing it until I for sure know that I am going to AZCOM, but that is just FYI for those concerned :)

Thanks Dciple, that really helped. Here's to massive WL movement this summer. :xf:

Thanks Dciple, that really helped. Here's to massive WL movement this summer. :xf:

Haha, ya for sure to that...I'm waitlisted at my state school and financially I am hoping for some major WL movement. Although, the weather in AZ makes me wish opposite....lol

Ah, I am also a waitlister, hoping for good news. Although, AZ weather has made me healthier. The lack of airborne insects and humidity clears the sinuses up nicely. The mild winters also help, unless you don't turn on the heater to save money ;)

Has anyone called today for an alt-list status? Just wondering if we could get any numbers (# of accepted; # on active alt-list) I feel like I call too much.

I wish I could help you, but it might sound better coming from someone else who is waiting. That said, would they actually tell you the things you are asking for? I mean, have they done so in the past (exact numbers of acceptances, people still waiting, etc.)?

Has anyone called today for an alt-list status? Just wondering if we could get any numbers (# of accepted; # on active alt-list) I feel like I call too much.

I would hold off on calling for information until after the 22nd, which is the deadline for the last round of acceptances to make their deposits. At that point they'll have a better idea of how many spots are taken. I talked to the director of admissions last week and was told there were approximately 110 people on the alt list (he pulled that number out of his head from memory so it wasn't exact) but someone else was told a day or two later that it was more like 160. There shouldn't have been anyone added to the list last week , if anything the # should have gotten smaller from people removing themselves from the list, so who knows which number is closer to being correct.

Let's all be kind and post any info we get whatsoever about the list on here so we can avoid making a million calls, and instead we can take turns. :thumbup:

:xf: <~ that's for all of us

Has anyone received their official "waitlisted" letter in the mail? If not, any idea as to when we should be seeing these?

The reason I ask is that I want to apply to some backup master's programs which require proof that I have been waitlisted at a medical school.

Has anyone received their official "waitlisted" letter in the mail? If not, any idea as to when we should be seeing these?

The reason I ask is that I want to apply to some backup master's programs which require proof that I have been waitlisted at a medical school.

I received mine approx 3wks after i interviewed. Are you applying to the SMP at MWU? You can do a transfer app from your AZCOM app to the SMP real easy and it in no way affects your WL status (and it's FREE). Attached is a copy of the transfer application form. You should call the admin office for details.

Attachments

• Transfer App Form.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Are you two thinking of the MA program at AZCOM? It would probably be the best option if you want to go to AZCOM.

Yeah, I sent in my application for the MA pgm about two weeks ago, and waiting for a response. Hopefully its not too late. Your thread on the pgm was great, i only wish i knew something about it earlier. Thanks.

My problem is i applied too late for azcom. I didn't even apply until Jan. I'm ready for next cycle and will apply early so hopefully get interviewed/accepted early. The MA program will be to prepare me for the classes in med school. BTW, have you completed the MA yet?

Hey, thanks. If you have any specific questions about it, feel free to post there. I check it now and then, plus there's a few other people who are currently in the program with me that are also here (renny, bivvie) so they can help answer your questions too.

We're in finals week right now and I'm just here procrastinating :) We're done on Friday. Graduation is June 5th, but I won't be attending unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.