AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't remember who said it, but it was either Bree or one of the current students. I haven't worried too much because they have been interviewing for the past week, so I don't think they would interview and make decisions in the same day. Or at least I'm hoping that's why I haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 18th and I heard this thursday or Friday as well.

To current students / people who were accepted, how are you paying for this school?! Tuition over 50k, that puts total cost (education + living expenses) at over 80k per year...

If I get in off of the waitlist I would definitely consider AZCOM...but I would have to figure out a way to pay for it. That is at least 300k for the 4 years there.

Members don't see this ad :)
To current students / people who were accepted, how are you paying for this school?! Tuition over 50k, that puts total cost (education + living expenses) at over 80k per year...

If I get in off of the waitlist I would definitely consider AZCOM...but I would have to figure out a way to pay for it. That is at least 300k for the 4 years there.

This has been discussed in more detail here a few times previously but it suffices to say you need <$80k/yr if it's just you (and you live modestly) and the money comes from federal loans (assuming US citizenship).

Hey quick question.. I interviewed here on the 17th. I too was told we would hear around the this Thursday (the 26th). However I went online yesterday and my portal had changed and says I owe the 1000 for the matriculation agreement etc. Was I accepted and just haven't gotten the official email? Or is this what they do for everyone and I have to wait until I get the email?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Hey quick question.. I interviewed here on the 17th. I too was told we would hear around the this Thursday (the 26th). However I went online yesterday and my portal had changed and says I owe the 1000 for the matriculation agreement etc. Was I accepted and just haven't gotten the official email? Or is this what they do for everyone and I have to wait until I get the email?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

You most likely won't receive a phone call. Portal change = acceptance. Celebrate. :thumbup:

Change "likely won't" to "never will" and "phone call" to "email" and the rest is still valid.
Congrats on the acceptance. :thumbup:

For those of you trying to figure out what you were told about when you'd know the school's decision, the school constantly tells applicants one thing and does another partly because the adcom is on its own schedule and does what it wants (which is usually meeting earlier than you've been told), not what the admin staff tells you. Just be patient, optimistic, and try not to let your Type A's drive you insane as you wait on a bed of nails. It's very likely many of you will get good news still but at varying times. Hang in there and best of luck with any upcoming interviews!

Change "likely won't" to "never will" and "phone call" to "email" and the rest is still valid.
Congrats on the acceptance. :thumbup:

For those of you trying to figure out what you were told about when you'd know the school's decision, the school constantly tells applicants one thing and does another partly because the adcom is on its own schedule and does what it wants (which is usually meeting earlier than you've been told), not what the admin staff tells you. Just be patient, optimistic, and try not to let your Type A's drive you insane as you wait on a bed of nails. It's very likely many of you will get good news still but at varying times. Hang in there and best of luck with any upcoming interviews!

Thanks for the answer! Time to celebrate!

I interviewed on Monday Jan 23 but I had to leave early, did anyone hear when we can expect to hear back from that date, or has anyone heard anything yet? Thanks!

Update: I just checked the portal, I now have an "Accepted Student Checklist" appearing on the main page, and the Matriculation Agreement page now says "Your information is currently being processed. Please check back tomorrow."
Is this what other people have been seeing? Is it too early to celebrate?

Update: I just checked the portal, I now have an "Accepted Student Checklist" appearing on the main page, and the Matriculation Agreement page now says "Your information is currently being processed. Please check back tomorrow."
Is this what other people have been seeing? Is it too early to celebrate?

Not too early at all, you're accepted! :thumbup:

Is there anyone that has been waitlisted pre-interview? I am really hoping to interview here, but the more acceptances I see the more I realize it is a dream. I have heard good things about this school and would like to check it out.

Does it say if you've been waitlisted or do you get the same page saying "This checklist is available to accepted applicants."?

Is there anyone that has been waitlisted pre-interview? I am really hoping to interview here, but the more acceptances I see the more I realize it is a dream. I have heard good things about this school and would like to check it out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the acceptances, most schools accept way more people than the number that actually matriculate, so a fair amount of people choose to go elsewhere. I really like this school but there are two other schools that I am hoping to get into because they are close to my family. Good luck and stay hopeful!

Members don't see this ad :)
1/13 people, check your portals, the status has changed...dun dun dun!

I am also in the pre-interview hold stage.

Checked the portal late last night and saw that I had been accepted! Paid the $1000 this morning and can't wait for that arizona summer!

I interviewed 1/18 for those who want to know.

Officially an unofficial Honey Badger! WOO! I interviewed on the 18th btw.

Interviewed on Monday, checked the Portal on Thursday and it says I have been accepted. Woohoo!

If you are expecting to hear something and haven't go ahead and call the school. They had the information for me.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the AZCOM's tution for 2012-2013 will be posted?

Is there anywhere I can receive an early clinical exposure during my 1st and 2nd yr?
Or do I need to try to find a physician to shadow or bribe a preceptor?

Is there anywhere I can receive an early clinical exposure during my 1st and 2nd yr?
Or do I need to try to find a physician to shadow or bribe a preceptor?

There are a handful of shelter clinics students can volunteer at as well as various other opportunities that involve clinical-type experiences via clubs and campus-wide events.

Interviewed 1/20 portal change 1/26. Congratulations to all acceptances thus far! For those with their clinical site confirmed, how long after submission of rotation preferences did people hear back regarding their location?

Hi everyone,
I also just got accepted to AZCOM. I have also been accepted at KCOM, so now I have to make a choice between the two. I was wondering if any current students or pre-med students who have toured at both schools have any opinions on the following items:
1. Political climate of the school (any where from non-existent to conservative or liberal)
2. Prestige of the name of the school in the DO community
3. Stress level of 3rd year rotations.
4. Why did you pick the school you did?

Thanks so much! Hope to make a decision soon!

(also, I am posting this on the KCOM page too...sorry for any redundancies!!!)

P.S. I read that last years entering class only had 32% females at AZCOM. Does anyone know why and is this common for all of the classes?

Hi everyone,
I also just got accepted to AZCOM. I have also been accepted at KCOM, so now I have to make a choice between the two. I was wondering if any current students or pre-med students who have toured at both schools have any opinions on the following items:

1. Political climate of the school (any where from non-existent to conservative or liberal)

Split between left and right. Pretty much a non-issue because most of us are adults and act like it.

2. Prestige of the name of the school in the DO community

KCOM > AZCOM. KCOM's older and has more alumni.

3. Stress level of 3rd year rotations.
They're going to be stressful anywhere. The stress here tends to depend on A) the preceptor (some are nicer than others) B) the rotation (FP is generally more relaxed than IM-ward/surgery).

4. Why did you pick the school you did?

Like a wizard's wand- I didn't pick it, it picked me. :D

Thanks so much! Hope to make a decision soon!

(also, I am posting this on the KCOM page too...sorry for any redundancies!!!)

P.S. I read that last years entering class only had 32% females at AZCOM. Does anyone know why and is this common for all of the classes?
There generally is a tendency for AZCOM's classes to be something like 70:30 or 60:40. It's not that the adcom is ran by a bunch of old-timer, sexist codgers, it's likely just the result of more males applying to med schools than females combined with more males accepting AZCOM's acceptances than females. The school actually addresses this during orientation with a blanket statement along the lines of "We know there's some asymmetry in the gender makeup of the class, but we accept whoever we think will be the best fit for the school/class regardless of demographics."

I'll also point out that I did actually interview at KCOM but I got a much better vibe from AZCOM for a number of reasons, but everybody's different.

I'll also point out that I did actually interview at KCOM but I got a much better vibe from AZCOM for a number of reasons, but everybody's different.

Hey randomusername, thx for all your input, it has been really helpful.
I wanted to ask regarding board prep. I read many students complaining that they were mostly left on their own to study for the boards. I know some schools offer board prep courses or give ample time to study for the boards.
For AZCOM, when does MSII finish and rotation start? Does AZCOM provide any help specifically for step 1? Is it true many students skip classes to prepare for the boards?

Hey randomusername, thx for all your input, it has been really helpful.
I wanted to ask regarding board prep. I read many students complaining that they were mostly left on their own to study for the boards. I know some schools offer board prep courses or give ample time to study for the boards.
For AZCOM, when does MSII finish and rotation start? Does AZCOM provide any help specifically for step 1? Is it true many students skip classes to prepare for the boards?

MS2 ends in late-May and rotations start early-July. The school does run its own board-prep class during the last half of spring quarter of MS2 (no clue about the usefulness of it yet as I've not heard any feedback from MS3s), provides us with Kaplan's COMLEX question bank, and then there are board-review courses that peddle their wares on-campus. They're also thinking about implementing the use of a "pre-test" prior to us taking the COMLEX.

I haven't gone to more than a couple of classes/labs a week since fall of MS1, but that's because they're a waste of my time. Right now about 1/3 of us skip class more than attend (I'm guessing) but I won't be surprised to see it become more like 1/2 next term since most people I've talked to aren't really putting the nose to the grindstone on board-prep until after spring break.

Once accepted via portal, how long is the wait for the AZCOM package mail, or is there not a mail?

Takes about a month.

I didn't get anything other than my rotation selection package until I got my acceptance package that included my letter from my big Sib right before school started. Don't expect much lol Although I did get a nice phone call 2 weeks after I was accepted telling me I was accepted.

Someone on the AZCOM 2016 thread in Osteopathic forum mentioned that Long Beach Memorial is being dropped from LA rotation site list? Can any current students comment on that? Seems like a major loss.

Haven't heard anything but try have said that the situation is fluid with our sites. I know hay there have been a few issues with 3rd years in LA. We lost a couple of spots too

Haven't heard anything but try have said that the situation is fluid with our sites. I know hay there have been a few issues with 3rd years in LA. We lost a couple of spots too

Is there any way I can petition the school to give me DbDan as my big bro for next year? :thumbup::thumbup:

lol They'll assign your big sib based on a bunch of things. Mine actually wound up someone who was my same major from the same UG and was my age. They have a system for doing it I think. If your big sib doesn't give you "Med Stud" when you get here though, let me know and I'll pass it down to you plus my own additions.

I just got accepted last week and I was wondering if I can give in the list for the clinical rotation sites now. Or do I have to wait till the acceptance package arrives in mail? If I can do so before the package arrives in mail, how do I go on about doing that?

Read back a few pages. You need to email Terry. You can also look on the 2016 facebook page.

I just cancelled my April 2nd interview, so if you're interviewing after that, you might try to make a call to admissions Monday morning.

I was accepted to AZCOM in Jan, and I chose the 2-bedroom apartment on campus. I was wondering are there bed, cupboard, sofa, desk, etc in my bedroom? Or shall I buy them myself?

Thanks.

BTW, if I stay off campus e.g. San Lagos or San Pedro apartment, do you provide furniture?

I was accepted to AZCOM in Jan, and I chose the 2-bedroom apartment on campus. I was wondering are there bed, cupboard, sofa, desk, etc in my bedroom? Or shall I buy them myself?

Thanks.

BTW, if I stay off campus e.g. San Lagos or San Pedro apartment, do you provide furniture?

You're providing your own furniture if you want any, be it on-campus or off-campus. There are cupboards in the bathrooms and kitchens on-campus, though.

One more question, which is better for a first year student, on-campus or off-campus housing? I heard San lagos is also very close to campus. Which is cheaper?

One more question, which is better for a first year student, on-campus or off-campus housing? I heard San lagos is also very close to campus. Which is cheaper?

On-campus is cheaper and includes every bill except electricity. Which is better depends on who you're asking. I say on-campus, but plenty of others would argue being off-campus is better because there's "separation" of school and home, you can find nicer apartments off-campus, and so on.

For those of you who chose Tucson as your third year site (or are just in the know), which hospitals will you be rotating at? I can't seem to find the packet with that info in it and am considering changing from Chicago to Tucson...