AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrads! Hold on to that feeling, theres nothing else like it!

Members don't see this ad.

Did your portal say accepted yesterday? Because I called them today (30 minutes ago) and they said that they had not met today yet. What day did you interview? I am really nervous because I would love to get in, and haven't heard any word back from them.

I found out about an hour ago that I got it. I called admissions after I saw the portal update to be sure and they confirmed I was accepted. I interviewed on Friday

Members don't see this ad :)
great, well I guess this means that I am applying again this year... bummer... I REALLY wanted to get into AZCOM... no official rejection yet, but I am going to call them in 30 minutes to verify everything...

http://www.midwestern.edu/About_MWU/Colleges/Arizona_College_of_Osteopathic_Medicine.html

"AZCOM achieved full accreditation status following the graduation of this first class. In 2008, AZCOM increased its class size to 250 to help address the need for more physicians in the state of Arizona."

This is the 2012 class right? Class of 2016 I think is also 250 so that should comparable (I think).

That is correct. 2012 is the first class to graduate with 250 students, although I don't know of the exact number since some become fellows, were decelerated, etc.

great, well I guess this means that I am applying again this year... bummer... I REALLY wanted to get into AZCOM... no official rejection yet, but I am going to call them in 30 minutes to verify everything...

You never know, unless they flat out tell you in a second here. Let us know what happens.

I just called the admissions office and they said they are meeting right now. Don't give up hope just yet.

So I called, they said nothing had changed on my status and that they were still meeting... bummer... I was really hoping to find out before the office closed today... Well, if anyone else hears back from them you should post it online!

I was selected on the wait list... :( bummer
well, get the next round of applications going
And if any of you want to drop your spot because you are going to another medical school, please do it very quickly :)

I feel your pain, I didn't get an update either. Good luck next year.

So if we did not get an update on the portal today we didnt get accepted?

When I called today at around 4 pm, the girl said they're meeting right now and updates should be done by tomorrow morning. There's usually a slew of people posting about getting accepted after adcom meetings and it hasn't been the case today. So there may be a small chance that they will inform accepted students tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked the portal, accepted! Alas I will be declining as I have decided to attend Oklahoma State. I was really impressed during my interview at AZCOM and think it's a great school. I hope things work out (at AZCOM or other programs) for everyone who interviewed! Good luck guys!!

Does anyone know how soon after you scheduled your interview did the school send the confirmation e-mail? I scheduled mine yesterday and still have not received a confirmation e-mail.

Does anyone know how soon after you scheduled your interview did the school send the confirmation e-mail? I scheduled mine yesterday and still have not received a confirmation e-mail.

I scheduled and rescheduled mine a couple of times and each time it was a very quick, automatic confirmation. I'd call the office to make sure everything is in order :)

I scheduled and rescheduled mine a couple of times and each time it was a very quick, automatic confirmation. I'd call the office to make sure everything is in order :)

+1 I'd call them ASAP.

DrMeows, what was the outcome for you yesterday? Did you get in?

Thanks for the quick reply. I just rescheduled mine and then scheduled back. When I did that, I received automatic emails confirming the cancelation of the ones I canceled but no confirmation of the ones a scheduled. I would just like more info, like what time they want us there and where we are going to meet.

+1 I'd call them ASAP.

DrMeows, what was the outcome for you yesterday? Did you get in?

I haven't heard back yet :( So I'm assuming waitlist or rejection, but still trying to be hopeful :xf: i really loved it there!!!

I got the alternate list. That's what I get for interviewing so late.

Just called, and waitlisted as well. I was also told that there are 109 on the waitlist ATM. I'd assume that in a class of 250 (and with the pretty high COA vs scholarships available), we will see some movement.

Just keep your heads up. Good things will happen. :thumbup:

I am very discouraged at this point. 240 students have placed deposits, thats not how many students they have accepted, but that many have placed a deposit. Thus that pretty much means that they won't be accepting 109 students off the waitlist. I have the worst of luck when it comes to interviewing. Good luck to everyone in their other schools, because it would appear from talking to the admissions committee that AZCOM is almost full... Really a bummer, I wanted to go here very badly...

Don't give up just yet...a 1k deposit isn't much relative to the tuition savings some people might have if pulled off waitlists at other schools. Will they go through 109 people? probably not...but I bet they go through more than you think. Also, the 109 will dwindle as people withdraw from the waitlist for other schools. Its not a guarantee, but there's still hope.

I am very discouraged at this point. 240 students have placed deposits, thats not how many students they have accepted, but that many have placed a deposit. Thus that pretty much means that they won't be accepting 109 students off the waitlist. I have the worst of luck when it comes to interviewing. Good luck to everyone in their other schools, because it would appear from talking to the admissions committee that AZCOM is almost full... Really a bummer, I wanted to go here very badly...

Keep your chin up. I'm still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools, which if I get accepted, will most likely be dropping my spot at AZCOM.

Waitlisted :( Congrats to all of you who actually got some good news this time around!

I'm another one who is probably (99.9% sure) going to be withdrawing from this school, so don't fret! There's still a chance!

Admissions lady told us during my interview (10/18) that it's not unusual to go 50-70 waitlist spots deep for AZCOM. However, she did say that they had a recent year where they barely went into it, so it all depends. No one is out of the running yet.

Congrats to the recently accepted and I'll see those of you who plan on going in August.

Why is AZCOM still interviewing if the class is full and the waitlist is 100 deep?

Why is AZCOM still interviewing if the class is full and the waitlist is 100 deep?

RIGHT?? they said 100 or 200 more people will interview in May, and they barely have any spots left. Everyone and their aunt is gona end up on that alternate list. I understand AZCOM is known for generous waitlist movement but I think this year will be different. GREAT :thumbdown:thumbdown

RIGHT?? they said 100 or 200 more people will interview in May, and they barely have any spots left. Everyone and their aunt is gona end up on that alternate list. I understand AZCOM is known for generous waitlist movement but I think this year will be different. GREAT :thumbdown:thumbdown

If thats true, AZCOM is set to lose a few grand on cafeteria vouchers. BTW, AZCOMs cafetaria is by far the best ive seen of the schools I visited. Im really looking foward to pigging out :D

If thats true, AZCOM is set to lose a few grand on cafeteria vouchers. BTW, AZCOMs cafetaria is by far the best ive seen of the schools I visited. Im really looking foward to pigging out :D

I appreciated all the vegetarian options because I'm one of those weirdos.

The cafeteria is the main reason I am going here :D

If any of you are into outdoor activities, theres a massive lake 30 miles from campus called Lake Pleasant and has all the activities you could wish for...boating, jet skiing, hiking, kayaking, etc.

Think about it this way: If 150 students are interviewing in May, how many have interviewed throughout the entire process? Even assuming the stat of 109 students on the wait list is a pre-April number and that they have sent out a number of acceptances a little north of 240, that would still imply that there have been quite a few rejected students. Sure, there will still be students added to the wait list and some that are accepted, but I doubt that the wait list will grow to a point that it is impossible or even illogical to assume that you stand a good chance of being pulled off the list.

Edit: this was in response to whynot2011's post

I got an email for an interview last night so I've booked it for May 9th. I'm really hoping this will pull through because right now RCSI is my backup (and I'd prefer to stay in N. America). But looking at the number of people who have accepted and the number on the waitlist, it doesn't look too hopeful...

All right ill mind my own business. As long and you mind yours.

Is the cafeteria open 24 hours a day?

Far from (our library isn't even 24/7). I'm not sure of the exact hours, but they only serve food for breakfast and lunch M-F (but the building itself is open all the time and a lot of people use it as a study-spot).

It makes me happy knowing that AZCOMs thread has the highest number of posts among all other DO schools on SDN.