AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
settled in at my hotel and ready for the interview tomorrow! visited the campus today and it was so pretty! i'm very excited!! :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

settled in at my hotel and ready for the interview tomorrow! visited the campus today and it was so pretty! i'm very excited!! :banana:

I'll see you there in the morning also Dr. Meows.

Anyone know how long the drive is from Mesa during rush hour? I'm staying with family. Planning on 202 to 101N. Setting aside 45-60 minutes for the drive to be safe. Does that sound like enough time to you locals? I haven't been a "local" for 10 years so things have changed a ton.

Anyone know how long the drive is from Mesa during rush hour? I'm staying with family. Planning on 202 to 101N. Setting aside 45-60 minutes for the drive to be safe. Does that sound like enough time to you locals? I haven't been a "local" for 10 years so things have changed a ton.
If I remember correctly I left from Gilbert and took the 101, which ended up being about 50 minutes by the time I got there. My wife's uncle is local, and he suggested I give myself about an hour and a half to get there just in case, so I ended up being very early :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly I left from Gilbert and took the 101, which ended up being about 50 minutes by the time I got there. My wife's uncle is local, and he suggested I give myself about an hour and a half to get there just in case, so I ended up being very early :)

Great. Thank you!

My wife and I are visiting AZCOM this next weekend to look for off campus housing. What are some of the better apartments/condos to check out? Also, I want to meet up with a financial aid counselor. Do they take walkins or would I be better off scheduling an appointment? Thanks

I suggest looking at San Prado (off of Utopia) and San Lagos (off of Behrend). I've lived at Lagos but many classmates live at Prado and they can vouch. Riverstone is another option that is a bit further away but still close and not as expensive as the other two due to location, but just as nice.

You can walk in, but I would email or call for an appointment to keep them from randomly taking off work. I have walked in on them numerous times for help though, so it's not a big deal if you do that.

Good luck Meows and Cougar, you've got this. :thumbup:

Thank you!

The interview went well. I'm hoping to hear something positive soon!

I've heard the turnaround for decisions will be a bit slower this late in the cycle. Does anyone have insight on this?

Hoping the best for you and Cougar too! I really enjoyed meeting one of the Admissions Counselors here in Colorado as well, and am looking forward to applying in June.

Ok, I got another PM requesting me to email my notes for 1st and 2nd year. These are 5+ gigs worth of notes and I volunteered under the impression we would meet in person or if a 2016 dropbox would be set up. Your big sibs can also help you with this, but they won't be back until you are 1 month in or so. I'll be around all summer so I will able to help.

At this point, does anyone have a solid idea of how many interview dates are remaining in this cycle?

At this point, does anyone have a solid idea of how many interview dates are remaining in this cycle?

From what I know/heard from when I was there, they're interviewing all this week, all next week and then 2 weeks in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can those who were accepted post their stats? Applying next cycle..thanks!

Can those who were accepted post their stats? Applying next cycle..thanks!
cGPA 3.8 sGPA 3.5 MCAT 33R
Very little clinical experience other than shadowing.
Lots of non-clinical volunteer experience
Lots of ECs

Could someone tell me what the fitness center is like (i.e. what types of equipment do they have, how busy is it, etc.)? All I remember from the tour is that there is one, since I was a little distracted thinking about the impending interview. I'm wondering if it would be worth renewing my current gym pass, or if I could save some money by just working out on campus.

the campus rec center has everything you would need except a swimming pool. They have free weights, a machine room (treadmills ellipticals etc) and the have a 'zumba' room for any class exercises as well as the main basketball gym and two raquetball courts. Also, in the tour on Thursday they said that we can bring a guest anytime so if you are married, no worries. Just wanted to give my input, as soon as someone hears back from this last round of interviews, make sure you post. I know they said the admission committee isn't meeting until the 16th of April, but a friend of mine who is just finishing his second year up there said they told him that as well and he still heard before their official 'meeting' that he was accepted.

Good luck to everyone, I am crossing my fingers as well.

Also, I forgot to mention that they did say because they donated the land to the city to build an aquatic center near the campus, then they give AZCOM students a really good deal if swimming is your thing.

I also would note that if you live on campus, your spouse will receive their own housing badge, which should give access to the campus rec center and cafeteria. It doesn't stop bringing guests to the rec center but probably just 1 at a time.

Also, I forgot to mention that they did say because they donated the land to the city to build an aquatic center near the campus, then they give AZCOM students a really good deal if swimming is your thing.

I would like to know when this is going to be complete.

Have an interview scheduled for the first week of may. Anyone know if there are still seats available or will I be interviewing for a potential WL position. Haven't been able to find information on how full the class is thus far.

Wow, glendale is just full of surprises. Seems like theres a lot to do.

There's quite a bit. I mean, anywhere in the Valley is within a reasonable drive, so you have Scottsdale, Phoenix, Glendale, Etc. I'm from the Phoenix Metro Area, so if you have any questions PM me.

Have an interview scheduled for the first week of may. Anyone know if there are still seats available or will I be interviewing for a potential WL position. Haven't been able to find information on how full the class is thus far.

From my understanding, you will be interviewing for spots. As far as I know, spots are kept available until the last round (those couple weeks in May). Granted, they're probably not as many spots as there are available during October interviews, but they should be there. What we heard at our interview is that as of now about 3/4 of the class is full (class size total is about 250 students). I don't know how many acceptances will go out after these April interviews, so less than that will be available when it gets around to May. Hope that helps! Good luck :thumbup:

From my understanding, you will be interviewing for spots. As far as I know, spots are kept available until the last round (those couple weeks in May). Granted, they're probably not as many spots as there are available during October interviews, but they should be there. What we heard at our interview is that as of now about 3/4 of the class is full (class size total is about 250 students). I don't know how many acceptances will go out after these April interviews, so less than that will be available when it gets around to May. Hope that helps! Good luck :thumbup:

Hey DrMeows,

Where did you hear the 3/4 full on our interview day? Did I space out for a few minutes?

The only specific thing I had seen was someone else on this thread self-identified as a medical student at the school and an ambassador saying they had filled 219 of 250 spots around the start of April. I assume that some of these will withdraw, so 3/4 is believable, but I didn't specifically remember hearing it on interview day.

Thanks.

Hey DrMeows,

Where did you hear the 3/4 full on our interview day? Did I space out for a few minutes?

The only specific thing I had seen was someone else on this thread self-identified as a medical student at the school and an ambassador saying they had filled 219 of 250 spots around the start of April. I assume that some of these will withdraw, so 3/4 is believable, but I didn't specifically remember hearing it on interview day.

Thanks.

During our walk around campus. A few of us asked the admissions guy (our tour guide). You probably were either not walking near us or not in my group.

During our walk around campus. A few of us asked the admissions guy (our tour guide). You probably were either not walking near us or not in my group.

That makes sense. I was in the larger group tour, and spent most of my time near the back of the group during the tour.

Were you in the group of two who toured or in the larger group that went later?

That makes sense. I was in the larger group tour, and spent most of my time near the back of the group during the tour.

Were you in the group of two who toured or in the larger group that went later?

I was in the larger group that went later. I just stuck by the guy giving the tour because i had questions and wanted to hear if other people had questions too :oops: #nosey

I was in the larger group that went later. I just stuck by the guy giving the tour because i had questions and wanted to hear if other people had questions too :oops: #nosey

Well played sir. Well played.

It's going to be a long 8 days waiting to hear back from them on the 16th. I'm really excited to get the news.

We had a really good group, I thought. Hopefully, we'll all get in.One girl there had said that 2/3 of people interviewed get accepted, but that seems high given the number of interviewees. They had 8 interview days in April. Our day had 12 of 15 scheduled show up. That would mean they would accept about 64 people if we assume the same numbers. Do you have any insight here from your discussions with the admissions guy?

I don't have much direct insight to offer, but here's what I do know:

* A member self-identified as a "medical student" and ambassador says that 219 of 250 positions had been offered as of the start of April. I don't know if those are secured by deposit or not. In addition, more deposits fall due in the coming weeks and months.

* Several posters have indicated that Midwestern does not interview for a waitlist specifically (while other schools will interview students only for the waitlist once the class appears full). The posters have indicated that if interviews are going on, spots are available. If you end up on the waitlist, it is not because there were not spots available on interview day.

* When I was invited to interview back in February, I asked the admissions office if spots would be available in May. They indicated that there would be spots available in May. I would guess from the other things that I've read that some are held over and some come available as deposit deadlines pass.

Well played sir. Well played.

It's going to be a long 8 days waiting to hear back from them on the 16th. I'm really excited to get the news.

We had a really good group, I thought. Hopefully, we'll all get in.One girl there had said that 2/3 of people interviewed get accepted, but that seems high given the number of interviewees. They had 8 interview days in April. Our day had 12 of 15 scheduled show up. That would mean they would accept about 64 people if we assume the same numbers. Do you have any insight here from your discussions with the admissions guy?

Haha it's already been a long 7 days! I keep refreshing the portal even though I know nothing is going to show up right now :(. What she said makes sense - but from what I gather that's people that get in up until the first day of class (therefore, people that get pulled off of the waitlist). I think about 600 get interviewed and from that, about 400 get accepted - so yeah 2/3 is what I think also. Other than that 3/4 of the class being full and meeting on the 16th, there's no other actually important information I got in regards to the admissions process there. I'm just hoping for really good luck!! Good luck to you! :luck::xf:

Don't feel alone Meows, I keep refreshing mine as well. Just so you know, the 211 people who have accepted are people who have put deposits down. At least that is what admissions told me.

I am so anxious to hear back from them. Hopefully they decide to meet a little earlier :)

Don't feel alone Meows, I keep refreshing mine as well. Just so you know, the 211 people who have accepted are people who have put deposits down. At least that is what admissions told me.

I am so anxious to hear back from them. Hopefully they decide to meet a little earlier :)

Haha glad to know I'm not the only one :scared: when did you interview?

+1

Does anyone know when the April deposit deadline is? Also, is it a receipt deadline or a postmark deadline? There's likely to be some opening of spaces resulting from that also.

did anyone who was on hold for interview get called for an interview recently/yet?

I interviewed last Thursday, we had 15 people there that day, and about 3 or 4 that didn't show up.

AZCOM seems to be quite popular amongst osteopathic mesical schools despite being one of the newer DO programs. Wonder why that is.

AZCOM seems to be quite popular amongst osteopathic mesical schools despite being one of the newer DO programs. Wonder why that is.

That's easy. Even though one of the newer ones, top 25% in match rates and board scores out of all the DO schools. Great campus and a nice area (versus all of these out in the middle of nowhere new DO school locations that don't generally appeal to many people). Warm weather is always a plus. Plus, students seem generally happy there (I guess as happy as medical students can be anyways). In my opinion, the fact that the campus/school itself is only about 15 years old, they coulda fooled me because it seems like a really established place. :)

Did everyone get their housing agreements from Jose? I got my first pick choice:

Apt K, Studio 613 sq ft with dishwasher and washer and dryer ^_______^

Did everyone get their housing agreements from Jose? I got my first pick choice:

Apt K, Studio 613 sq ft with dishwasher and washer and dryer ^_______^
One bedroom apt. Building H, I think?

Hey everyone, congrats on getting accepted into AZCOM, I'm currently a 4th year student and matched into residency in California. My wife and I are looking to rent our home after we leave. The property will be available in early June. Here's a little description:

Townhome style (however, every unit is its own home, no common walls)
3 bedroom/2.5 bath
1375 sq ft
2 car garage
Generous walk-in closets and ceiling fans in every bedroom (living room has ceiling fan as well)
Large 18 in tile in foyer, kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room

Upgrades:
Granite countertops
All black appliances in kitchen, washer and dryer located in laundry room upstairs
Built-in surround sound in living room
Added sunscreens to windows to reduce indoor temp and lower monthly A/C bill
Just finished repainting multiple interior areas of the house

Community:
Multiple areas to shop and eat within minutes - Arrowhead Mall, Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Costco, Bev-Mo, etc.
Several parks within walking distance, including a dog park
Beautiful heated community pool and spa with shower facilities
New community library within walking distance
It takes me about 12 minutes to drive to school in the morning
Neighborhood is quiet, perfect for long stretches of uninterrupted studying

Thanks for looking, we're renting the place for $985/month, please let me know if you're interested, I can send you multiple pictures so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

Mike
[email protected]

Did they tell you that the admissions committee wasn't going to meet until April 16th? I'm just wondering because they told me that they would be meeting on April 16th to decide our fate (I interviewed April 5th) and so my portal doesn't say anything, so anyways, I'm just wondering what you guys were told.

Thanks

Did they tell you that the admissions committee wasn't going to meet until April 16th? I'm just wondering because they told me that they would be meeting on April 16th to decide our fate (I interviewed April 5th) and so my portal doesn't say anything, so anyways, I'm just wondering what you guys were told.

Thanks

My friend and I both interviewed on April 2nd and haven't seen anything on the portal for either of us. We contacted admissions to ask our fate :)scared:) after seeing that people were accepted from last week. They said the committee isn't meeting until next week and we should expect to hear something by next Friday.

So....moral of the story is.....no idea why some people have been accepted and others have yet to even be looked at. You're probably in the "not looked at yet pile" with us so breathe easy. It's gonna be a long rest of the week. Hope that helps! Good luck :luck: