AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't think they send invites on Saturdays. I didn't even get an email from AZCOM, I just kept checking the portal and one day it showed up with "Please schedule interview" under the message center on the home page.

Members don't see this ad.

So my LORs were shipped to AZCOM via interfolio last Friday, and it still shows that they haven't received them. Does it normally take a week for them to download LORs to their system? I submitted CCOM the same day and they already gave me the "you are complete" email 2 days ago. Hmm... :confused:

Never hurts to call. I had a similar issue when I was applying a couple of years ago, called, they immediately downloaded my letters (the person that does it normally was on vacation the week I initially sent them and they made sure my letters were taken care of the day I called), and I had an interview invite within a day or two of that. Really, this applies to any school you're applying to as they are all processing 1000s of applications and oversights are made at times and most people are more than happy to help you out (please, thank-you, sir and ma'am go a loooooooong way with this).

Any idea how long it takes to get a decision after you interview? I'm interviewing in about 2.5 weeks.

It really depends on the applicant and what else is going on at the school around the time you apply. A lot of people find out within a week, but it's pretty common for it to take just a couple of days or a couple of weeks too.

on "hold" for an interview... any chance i'll eventually get one? :(

Depends on how proactive you are. If you keep them posted with new grades, MCAT score, activities, and what not, your chances are a lot better than if you sit by idly. The good thing about this status is the committee likes you enough to not entirely rule you out, but they are a little weary about something in your app (it's usually a low GPA or MCAT) and want to see a little bit more from you. Even better, a number of people have initially been placed on hold for an interview, received an interview, and been accepted.

Well I was "put on hold for an interview" last year and here I sit in Arizona studying for my histo exam....so yes, you absolutely stand a chance of being offered an interview at some point.

Last cycle when I was placed on hold from AZCOM, I assumed it was basically a rejection. I was then invited to a bunch of interviews at other schools and was accepted at quite a few. Then towards the end of the cycle AZCOM invited me for an interview (a bit odd since I was not at ALL proactive and did not send any updated info since I had already been accepted elsewhere and was content). Anyhow, I ended up going to the interview just to check it out and absolutely fell in love with the school and was thrilled when they accepted me a few days later.

So, dont lose hope. Just because you are on hold now, that does not mean that you wont get a later invite.

Members don't see this ad :)

I too was on "hold" last year... I got the hold position sometime in the winter and later received an invite in early May. Got my acceptance about a week later.

As a previous poster mentioned, let the school know that you're very interested in attending. I sent a letter of interest immediately after being placed on hold - but had no new MCAT, grades or anything else really significant to add to my application. Called a couple of times to see if there were any developments or anything else I could do to let them know I was interested (this probably didn't help though).

We "on hold for interview" people are not that uncommon... I know several in my class. And we're all studying for the same exam this weekend :p and the next weekend ... and the next .... and the next.

P.S. know that if you attend AZCOM you have a test at LEAST once a week (twice for OMSII). Personally, I LOVE it, but it's not for everyone... just a heads up.

Thanks for the tips everyone... Just finished a couple grad summer classes so I'll send an update with those and some of the activities I've been doing :) hope it helps! :xf:

I submitted my II 8/25 and received the application complete e-mail today!

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! *jumps around with joy*
oct 12 it is! just got the invitation email today! :D

Received my "hold for interview" status via snailmail today. Guess my GPA is really hurting me. congrats to all those with interviews. good luck!

Interview invite yesterday! set up for early October! woohoo!

interview invite! check your interviewing schedule! no email :p

scheduled for 12/5

is there any student hosting? i would really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think they send invites on Saturdays. I didn't even get an email from AZCOM, I just kept checking the portal and one day it showed up with "Please schedule interview" under the message center on the home page.

Actually, I got an EMAIL on Saturday for my interview...granted I had been out of town and unable to check my portal; maybe they just got tired of waiting for me there lol

nevermind they received it...heres for hopin for an interview!

Last edited:
letters, interview invites, all can take between and 1 week or 4, sometimes 6 weeks, just depends on how many people are on staff, how fast our systems are working on a particular day or how much mail we get, so it all varies greatly no soft or hard rule...at times we spend so much time on the phone/email telling students we have not processed their letter or supplemental that it slows down our process even more, so just give it time, but if it has been more than 6weeks def. call or email...

One thing I do LOVE about the midwestern universities (CCOM, AZCOM) is their portal. It's so organized, easy to use, and easy to access. They also update it really fast. Their checklist is also great.

Why can't all the schools be like this?! It makes an applicant's life so much easier.

I'll tell you, considering how chaotic things have been for 3rd and 4th years (this is the first time they've had to deal with 500 students on rotations), they are keeping up with the new interviews very well.

Like others have said, stay in contact with them and you can work your way out of that hold status.

scheduled for 12/5

is there any student hosting? I would really appreciate it :)

+1

Also, anyone know the actual schedule for AZCOM? I know the day starts on 7:45 and ends around 2:30, but I'm trying to find a flight that will get me back home before seven and it's looking a little tight

Last edited:
+1

Also, anyone know the actual schedule for AZCOM? I know the day starts on 7:45 and ends around 2:30, but I'm trying to find a flight that will get me back home before seven and it's looking a little tight

There's no official student hosting program for applicants.

You'll start out with a few presentations by Financial Aid and the academic dean will throw some numbers at you to try to convince you that we're cool and every other school isn't quite as cool. Then one group will interview while the other goes on a walking-tour of campus, then they switch. Around noon, you'll have lunch and after that there's an optional, additional tour. The day almost always seems to end before the time they say it does, from what I've gathered.

Interview Invite!

Fast turn around, I submitted my secondary last Thursday. (8/25)

Anyone interviewing on September 19th? Really excited!

Anyone know is there are cutoffs for each section on the MCAT for AZCOM? I have a 27S (12/6/9)...I know, terrible VR. I wanted to know if anyone knows if a 6 is going to screen me out from getting an interview or not. Thanks!

Anyone know is there are cutoffs for each section on the MCAT for AZCOM? I have a 27S (12/6/9)...I know, terrible VR. I wanted to know if anyone knows if a 6 is going to screen me out from getting an interview or not. Thanks!

Their average for accepted students is ~27, so your overall score is very good. I haven't heard anything about what numbers they screen for. Even if your VR is on the lower side your other sections are very good. Are you retaking the MCAT?

Their average for accepted students is ~27, so your overall score is very good. I haven't heard anything about what numbers they screen for. Even if your VR is on the lower side your other sections are very good. Are you retaking the MCAT?

During our orientation last month, they told us that our average MCAT for the class of 2015 was 28. The GPA was also higher this year for our class.

AZCOM interview for Novermber 29th! See you guys then :)

P.S. know that if you attend AZCOM you have a test at LEAST once a week (twice for OMSII). Personally, I LOVE it, but it's not for everyone... just a heads up.

Pretty sure we go to pretty much twice a week starting in Winter. I know a second year said his total exams first year was somewhere around 70

Pretty sure we go to pretty much twice a week starting in Winter. I know a second year said his total exams first year was somewhere around 70

Yep. Unless they've changed it, you'll end up having a lot of 3 exams/week situations, though it's more tolerable in spring once one of them isn't anatomy.

P.S. Glad to see you're showing your face around here again DbD.

Figured this information might help someone else :)

Application complete: 8/19
Interview invite: 8/24

And I definitely do not have stellar stats: 3.26 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, and 32Q MCAT

Good luck to everyone else (especially my fellow underdogs!)

Yep. Unless they've changed it, you'll end up having a lot of 3 exams/week situations, though it's more tolerable in spring once one of them isn't anatomy.

P.S. Glad to see you're showing your face around here again DbD.

I've been around. Mostly answering PMs from various people with questions though. I'm going to try to pop in every once in a while but I've been pretty behind on at least one subject a week since the beginning of school. My girlfriend was here the first week so I didn't get much done. Trying to catch up. Hopefully after tomorrow's anatomy exam I'll be back on top of things. I still have ~7 Biochem exams of enabling objectives to get on top of though.

I've been around. Mostly answering PMs from various people with questions though. I'm going to try to pop in every once in a while but I've been pretty behind on at least one subject a week since the beginning of school. My girlfriend was here the first week so I didn't get much done. Trying to catch up. Hopefully after tomorrow's anatomy exam I'll be back on top of things. I still have ~7 Biochem exams of enabling objectives to get on top of though.

Haha Yeah, most people I know were behind in every class except the one our next exam was in by this point. Good luck with anatomy tomorrow.

placed on hold for interview :( booo

placed on hold for interview :( booo

I am curious, when were you complete? I got the email on 8/26 that I was complete and have not heard back yet. Is a long reply time typical for people who get placed on hold?

I am curious, when were you complete? I got the email on 8/26 that I was complete and have not heard back yet. Is a long reply time typical for people who get placed on hold?

i think i was complete on 8/22 or 8/23

INTERVIEW INVITE! Scheduled 10/12! was complete 8/30...did not get an email...checked the status page and was telling me to schedule an interview...really excited about this one!

Haha Yeah, most people I know were behind in every class except the one our next exam was in by this point. Good luck with anatomy tomorrow.

Anatomy was not as hard as I expected. I'm rapidly making progress towards biochem and I'm caught up in every other class. I think by this weekend I'll be 100% on top of things, which is damn impressive for me... I was a huge slacker before I got here. Who knew that med school would suddenly turn on the burners to keep up haha

Congrats to you all who are getting invites for interviews. PM me if you have specific questions about the school either pre or post interview. I'll get back to them as quickly as I can. Obviously I've got alot of other stuff but I try to help out haha

Those of you who are comparing when you were complete to others getting interviews, don't. Its a decent gauge but not perfect. Last year I was complete the first day that secondaries went out and I didn't get an invite until the 2nd or 3rd batch of them that went out. They go out in groups, until you hear you didn't get one just be patient. Also, if you have new grades/work/etc. update the school on it, it really does help (especially for those of you who get put on hold). Also, make sure to check your portal regularly!!! Any time you hear someone got an interview on here, check your own portal. I never once got an e-mail about my invite, the scheduled date after I set it or anything. For some reason they are really bad about getting out to you guys but I promise it is not indicative of the support staff on campus, they have all been very helpful since I've been here.

I just got my AZCOM interview email! It's my first interview, so I am a little bit excited. I was complete on 8/30.

Now I can obsess less about getting the interview and more about the interview itself.

Last edited:
I just got my AZCOM interview email! It's my first interview, so I am a little bit excited. I was complete on 8/30.

Now I can obsess less about getting the interview and more about the interview itself.

Congrats! I'll be submitting my secondary this week once my doctor LOR is submitted. Getting nervous about submitting it but I can't wait for this whole process to be done! Good luck with your interview!
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? I am worried that my MCAT won't be competitive enough for this school

Congrats! I'll be submitting my secondary this week once my doctor LOR is submitted. Getting nervous about submitting it but I can't wait for this whole process to be done! Good luck with your interview!
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? I am worried that my MCAT won't be competitive enough for this school

I'd go ahead and submit the secondary if it's ready to go, it will likely speed up your processing time.

Just changed my interview date from 10/17 to 9/23! Hope some lucky SDNer gets an earlier date;)