AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just changed my interview date from 10/17 to 9/23! Hope some lucky SDNer gets an earlier date;)

Thanks for the heads up buddy! Moved from 11/29 to 10/17. Huge difference :D

Members don't see this ad.

Normally what percentage of the interviewees are granted admissionÉ

Normally what percentage of the interviewees are granted admissionÉ

2009-2010 Forum, p.10, post by lentilfarm:
"The admissions director said that they interivew about 600 for the 250 seats. If I remember correctly, he said that they need to accept upwards of 400 to get all the seats filled. According to him, the hard part is getting the interview offer."

Take it for what it's worth given that it was word-of-mouth and two cycles ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone list all the cities that are posibilities for 3rd and 4th year rotations? I can't seem to find this information anywhere...

Could someone list all the cities that are posibilities for 3rd and 4th year rotations? I can't seem to find this information anywhere...

Right now: Phoenix (East and West Valley regions), Tucson, LA...
There is a Turlock/Modesto region that the school currently has but there's the possibility that the Modesto contract might not be renewed (not sure if this includes Turlock or not) and there was a Champaign-Urbana region too but that is being nixed and likely becoming a Chicago region (at least for 2014).

can anyone post the match list for AZCOM or provide the link...I cant seem to find any on their website.

Thanks!

can anyone post the match list for AZCOM or provide the link...I cant seem to find any on their website.

Thanks!

So far this is all that's been released for 2011 (even though we were told that the Dean's office was releasing it all to us by the end of July...):

-17 scrambles of 150 (=11%)
-25% IM
-19% FP
-17% ER
-7 ortho
-70% ACGME match
-1 (not certain on # but certain of at least one DO match) ENT

Then here is the 2010 match info:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...100745,-88.286133&spn=11.124826,23.225098&z=6

Just wondering if anyone else is interviewing at AZCOM on 10/12..I was thinking of driving in from LA (it seems way cheaper than a flight and that way dont need to worry about taxis and shuttles and stuff) and was wondering if anyone wanted to come along and share the ride PM me!

Just wondering if anyone else is interviewing at AZCOM on 10/12..I was thinking of driving in from LA (it seems way cheaper than a flight and that way dont need to worry about taxis and shuttles and stuff) and was wondering if anyone wanted to come along and share the ride PM me!

i am interviewing on 10/12 as well...but heading straight from toronto, so will be flying in.. flying into Ontario, from Ontario :laugh: lol.

will c u on 12th though! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i am interviewing on 10/12 as well...but heading straight from toronto, so will be flying in.. flying into Ontario, from Ontario :laugh: lol.

will c u on 12th though! :D

Ur flying into ontario? Cali? Lol we should hang out on the 11th before the interview calm the nerves what hotel r u Gonna be at?

Ur flying into ontario? Cali? Lol we should hang out on the 11th before the interview calm the nerves what hotel r u Gonna be at?

i have officially lost my mind now it seems :bang:
sorry, i confused ontario with AZ... i'll be flying into PHX on 11th for azcom, and ONT, CA, on 21st for Western.... :oops:

Definitely the Slap Chop.

Ahahaha.. I asked my best friend what appliance he would be and he said the Slap Chop as well... because it's so easy to clean! 1, 2, Pops Open Like a Butterfly.

Also, you're gonna love my nuts.

anyone know what the interview format will be like? group interview or individual interview :confused:

btw, no one going with microwave or convection oven? :p

Blender: because I like to mix things up.

anyone know what the interview format will be like? group interview or individual interview :confused:

It's not a group interview, you won't be interviewing with fellow applicants. You will be interviewed by a panel of 3 people. For me it was a professor, a community physician and a 4th year student. The interview goes by really quick - I think mine was about 45 minutes.

It's not a group interview, you won't be interviewing with fellow applicants. You will be interviewed by a panel of 3 people. For me it was a professor, a community physician and a 4th year student. The interview goes by really quick - I think mine was about 45 minutes.

Great! I was nervous when the interview feedback said about 50% of the students had group interviews. I just had these at both the LECOM schools and was not a fan.

Interview on November 28th.
Does CCOM have a higher admission standard than AZCOM? AZCOM granted me an interview two or three days after I submitted my secondary. It's close to two months since I was complete for CCOM but still haven't heard any thing yet.

Interview on November 28th.
Does CCOM have a higher admission standard than AZCOM? AZCOM granted me an interview two or three days after I submitted my secondary. It's close to two months since I was complete for CCOM but still haven't heard any thing yet.

Somewhat. CCOM is also more established and receives more applications. Plus, your stuff could always be lost if you haven't called to check...

can any current student comment or pm me on the rotations for AZCOM...i did a search on SDN and found some unconstructive comments...

If anyone is interviewing on Sept 16, staying at the Drury, and wants to meet up, message me!

can any current student comment or pm me on the rotations for AZCOM...i did a search on SDN and found some unconstructive comments...

The only student that is actually on rotations that ever posts in here is Flushot, so you'll need to just PM him if the following doesn't help...

If you searched on SDN about this stuff, a number of topics were covered by myself and Flushot in last year's AZCOM thread. Just go to that thread and use the thread-specific search (beneath the page numbers) and hopefully that will help answer some questions.

You can also PM me with specific questions and I'll do my best to answer with what knowledge I have...

Didn't get asked the kitchen appliance question, but I would have been a microwave, so I could get things done in 2 min or less!:laugh:

I'm at the airport waiting for my (delayed) flight to leave for Phoenix. If anyone wants to meet up tomorrow/this weekend after tomorrow's interview, send me a PM.

I'm at the airport waiting for my (delayed) flight to leave for Phoenix. If anyone wants to meet up tomorrow/this weekend after tomorrow's interview, send me a PM.

A get-together after the interview would be nice for those that are staying in PHX this weekend.

If anyone would like a ride to AZCOM tomorrow morning for the interview, shoot me a message. I'm probably leaving at around 7:15 am.

No I didn't. I was asked questions about my marathon running/training. I would review SDN's interview experience thread. I did get asked a lot of questions that were reported there.

Is anyone staying at the Drury tonight? I didn't see any students at the hotel dinner!

I was hoping a current AZCOM student or graduate could answer a few questions about the school for me:

1. Is there curriculum completely traditional or is there anything unique about it (ie: systems-based, PBL, etc). How is the testing schedule?
2. Any early clinical exposure 1st and 2nd year to better prepare you for 3rd and 4th year rotations?
3. How is the quality of clinical rotation sites and can you choose to do them in L.A.?
4. Anything particularly unique about the school? What are some reasons to go here over others?

Thank you!

I was hoping a current AZCOM student or graduate could answer a few questions about the school for me:

1. Is there curriculum completely traditional or is there anything unique about it (ie: systems-based, PBL, etc). How is the testing schedule?
2. Any early clinical exposure 1st and 2nd year to better prepare you for 3rd and 4th year rotations?
3. How is the quality of clinical rotation sites and can you choose to do them in L.A.?
4. Anything particularly unique about the school? What are some reasons to go here over others?

Thank you!
1. mostly traditional
2.minimal exposure but yes
3.currently LA is an option can't say for sure if it will be in 2 years, but very likely, quality varies, but mostly good
4.pass scores, faculty interaction, not that familiar with other schools so hard to answer

these great q's for interview day too

Great interview experience today. Let me know if you have questions.

Hey Fox...can you go over the day? Just let us know what went on and what was impressive

1. mostly traditional
2.minimal exposure but yes
3.currently LA is an option can't say for sure if it will be in 2 years, but very likely, quality varies, but mostly good
4.pass scores, faculty interaction, not that familiar with other schools so hard to answer

these great q's for interview day too
Haha yeah I was asking those questions because I was trying to think of unique responses to "Why AZCOM?" Thanks for the response!

1. Is their curriculum completely traditional or is there anything unique about it (ie: systems-based, PBL, etc). How is the testing schedule?

Mostly traditional
but the departments do try to incorporate a lot of clinical applicability where they can.
Testing schedule is brutal. Fall quarter of MS1 they ease you into things and you mostly just have one exam a week (finals excluded). Then winter quarter hits and it's very uncommon to have <2 exams in a week.

As much as you want to have. You can volunteer at clinics/shelters from the start, you get introduced to a number of things during first year's clinical course (venipuncture, injections, H&Ps, sports physicals on local high school students, simulated patient encounters, etc). Even more so during MS2.

LA is an option, but as KeepItReal mentioned, you never know around here...As far as quality, the general feedback to my class has been that most people have good experiences because the school tries to weed out the less-than-stellar preceptors quickly.

Aside from very approachable faculty and early clinical exposure, not really.

I'm at the Phoenix airport waiting for my flight. I'll give you guys the scoop tonight when I get home. Dont feel like typing it out on my phone. :)

As much as you want to have. You can volunteer at clinics/shelters from the start, you get introduced to a number of things during first year's clinical course (venipuncture, injections, H&Ps, sports physicals on local high school students, simulated patient encounters, etc). Even more so during MS2.

I'm guessing this volunteering at the clinic/shelter is not incorporated into the curriculum. Would you mind telling us what these organizations are called?

Also, is the preceptorship part of the 88 weeks of clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th year?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm guessing this volunteering at the clinic/shelter is not incorporated into the curriculum. Would you mind telling us what these organizations are called?

Also, is the preceptorship part of the 88 weeks of clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th year?

Thanks in advance :)

Correct, the volunteering at the clinics/shelters is all optional for students to do, though many (perhaps most) students end up volunteering at some point. This article's old and I think an additional site or two have been added, but it's still applicable to the experience:
http://www.midwestern.edu/News_and_...meless_Outreach_Program_Begins_10th_Year.html

If I'm following your second question...yeah, the bulk of your 88 weeks of rotations will be preceptor-based (that's just the nature of DO clinical education). You'll have one mandatory ward-IM rotation and the possibility of a few additional ward-rotations (I forget the other ward rotations the school offers, I just know one of them is surgery and another is FP) but the bulk of your rotations will be you tagging along with a single physician, a group, or a single department.

Last edited:
Hey Fox...can you go over the day? Just let us know what went on and what was impressive

Starts out around 7:45. You are split into two groups. One group interviews while the other gets a tour, then the groups switch. Your interview is with a three-person panel. I had a DO, a student, and a faculty member (mine was an anatomy instructor). Then you have lunch in the cafeteria. After that, you see an OMM presentation. That was basically it. It was very laid-back, the interview went fine.