AZCOM vs ATSU SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigPremedGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background, I'm from Oregon, and have the fortune to be accepted to a few DO schools. I am still waiting to hear back from my state MD school; the top choice I interviewed with. But in the meantime, I want to narrow down which of these schools I would choose if I did not get the call from OHSU. Both Arizona schools.

Thus far, I would say I am very much leaning towards entering primary care (and my app is all about it) and I am POSITIVE I'd like to practice in a rural area. I am more sure about practicing in an underserved rural west coast county then I am about primary care. I also have some interest in being a general surgeon (again, small town). No interest in anything more competitive than general surgery though.

ATSU SOMA
(+) Tuition is 10k cheaper year than AZCOM.
(+) I already put down a deposit (first school acceptance)
(+) I received my CHC top rotation site (in Mesa, same location as the actual school)
(+) Solid interview impression

(-) I would be the first class of a new curriculum. PBL will probably work well w/ my learning style but again, it's an unproven curriculum.
(-) unsure about my prospects if I ended up wanting to go with gen surg, as opposed to FM/IM/EM. The school is VERY primary orientated.

Midwestern AZ
(+) Potentially give me better opportunities if I wanted to go surg instead of primary.
(+) Tested and proven curriculum w/ good MATCH data for primary or more competitive specialties.
(+/-) Maybe a more traditional medical school experience (not necessarily good or bad).

(-) Massive class size
(-) 71k tuition
(-) Feel like here I'd be just a face in a crowd of 250 kids.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are stupid expensive, go with the cheaper school, especially if you have the Mesa CHC and dont have to move somewhere random

Reactions: 1 user