AZCOM vs TUNCOM vs COMP-Pomona

Started by gjon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gjon

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there are similar threads comparing these schools, but I want some opinions on my reasoning prior to making my final decision between these three.

I'm pretty sure I've ruled out COMP at this point. While I think it's a fantastic school, I don't like the idea of having to commute to campus, and the Pomona area is a bit... well those of you who've been there know. It's not somewhere that I care to raise a family. Not to mention, the cost of living in southern California is ridiculous compared to Glendale and Henderson. So I'm 99% certain that COMP is out.

That brings my decision down to AZCOM and TUNCOM and at this point I'm currently leaning towards TUNCOM for the following reasons:

  • Smaller class size (130 vs 250)
  • Cheaper (nearly $10k/year!)
  • Recorded Lectures
  • Less competition for 3rd and 4th year rotations
  • Better testing schedule

My dilemma lies in that AZCOM is a more prestigious school, it's more established, and they do have impressive COMLEX averages. I believe that how I do on boards is up to me, not the school so I'm not putting too much weight into the COMLEX scores. As far as being established, I'm not really sure how much that matters or if I will gain anything in the end. The AZCOM campus is also a bit nicer than the warehouse that TUNCOM calls a campus, but ultimately that is not important.

So does my reasoning sound logical? Is there anything big that I'm completely overlooking? Am I crazy for leaning towards TUNCOM over COMP and AZCOM?
 
Depends if you wanna specialize. Ccom put up some mad numbers in hard residencies

While CCOM and AZCOM share the same "Midwestern U" name they are completely separate and distinct programs. CCOM's match does not reflect on AZCOM or vice versa though both schools seem to put out nice, diverse matches

To the OP, AZCOM is a solid school but not by any means "prestigious" so go with where you are comfortable being.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I chose TUNCOM over AZCOM. I am awaiting a decision from COMP so I don't know for sure yet which I would choose between those two.

I liked AZCOM. For me the biggest drawback was the large class size. I liked that TUNCOM has 130, and was also drawn by the fact that it is the only medical school in that entire region. Not to mention the fact that the tuition is a bit cheaper. Housing is inexpensive in both places and both Glendale and Henderson are good areas to live. Having Vegas close by is a plus but wasn't the main deciding factor for me. It was still a tough decision.

Also, and this is quite subjective, I felt that TUNCOM had a more casual vibe.
 
Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think AZCOM is any more prestigious than any other school. These are DO schools, I don't think prestige matters. TUN has had some pretty solid matchlists to my untrained pre-med eye, but I wonder if this is more a case of the student's effort rather than a result of the school they went to. As far as rotations go, I don't know too much about rotations at either school, but I don't think either one has any clear advantage. At touro you would probably be able to stay in the same area for rotations, not sure if you can at AZCOM. In my opinion I would go with the cheaper school everything else being equal.
 
Honestly, I don't think AZCOM is any more prestigious than any other school. These are DO schools, I don't think prestige matters. TUN has had some pretty solid matchlists to my untrained pre-med eye, but I wonder if this is more a case of the student's effort rather than a result of the school they went to. As far as rotations go, I don't know too much about rotations at either school, but I don't think either one has any clear advantage. At touro you would probably be able to stay in the same area for rotations, not sure if you can at AZCOM. In my opinion I would go with the cheaper school everything else being equal.

While CCOM and AZCOM share the same "Midwestern U" name they are completely separate and distinct programs. CCOM's match does not reflect on AZCOM or vice versa though both schools seem to put out nice, diverse matches

To the OP, AZCOM is a solid school but not by any means "prestigious" so go with where you are comfortable being.

All 3 are great schools, so be happy whatever you choose. If I were you, I would look closely at the curricula of all three and see which you feel better matches your way of learning.


Good point. I am not putting down TUNCOM just that it is not as well know yet. IMO, AZCOM is in a really nice area with a cool campus and student life. Whereas, TUNCOM is in a warehouse and not really a nice campus. Otherwise, both are great and hey COMP is also a very good school. Additionally, where do you see yourself being happy? I didnt like Las Vegas because it was too touristy-
 
Good point. I am not putting down TUNCOM just that it is not as well know yet. IMO, AZCOM is in a really nice area with a cool campus and student life. Whereas, TUNCOM is in a warehouse and not really a nice campus. Otherwise, both are great and hey COMP is also a very good school. Additionally, where do you see yourself being happy? I didnt like Las Vegas because it was too touristy-

True, I think in this case you can't go wrong with whichever school you choose.