B+b+b+a+c=3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedStory

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:mad:

So I got three B's, a C, and an A this semester. So this terms GPA finished out as a 3.0

A: independent study
C: O-chem (Thank god I am done with that class:D )
B: Embryology (I loved that class)
B: Biotechnology (some non-science major student got a better grade then me and I have well over 20 biology credits and this was her first science class ever in college, :laugh: )
B: Abnormal Psychology

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want a cookie?

Do you want a cookie?

No! I busted my balls to do good in those class and I still did not get that good of a GPA. I don't see how people can get 3.8's, 3.9's and 4.0's.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's going to put a pretty bad dent on your BCMP GPA.

No! I busted my balls to do good in those class and I still did not get that good of a GPA. I don't see how people can get 3.8's, 3.9's and 4.0's.

You took challenging courses, so your GPA reflects that. I got a 4.0 this semester but I had no life. Don't stress about it.

this should be the opening line of your ps

you busted your balls and only pulled a C in Ochem?

good luck on the mcat.

this should be the opening line of your ps

+1 LOL!!!

No but seriously. Learn from your mistakes and do better next time.

some people are just smarter than others

Or they know how to work the system better. There are these 3 girls in all of my classes that get 3.8+ GPAs every semester but they have old exams from the instructor and don't work for their grades at all.

Or they know how to work the system better. There are these 3 girls in all of my classes that get 3.8+ GPAs every semester but they have old exams from the instructor and don't work for their grades at all.

are the exam questions the same every semester? I doubt it. Having old exams helps, but it's still considered "studying" they're not just memorizing the answers and rewriting them. However, if that's the case the professor is pretty silly and you should be upset with him, not the girls.

Plus the girls had to do some work to get the old exams. It doesn't sound like they're working more or less, just differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
you busted your balls and only pulled a C in Ochem?

good luck on the mcat.
I busted my ass and got a D+ in Orgo I. Taking II elsewhere right now and on track to an A. Sometimes you just have crappy profs who can't teach and whose only goal is to fail as many premeds as possible!

Oh, and I got a 10 in BS on my MCAT - and o-chem was the easy part on there for me.

OP, don't despair! You're taking hard classes.

Plus the girls had to do some work to get the old exams. It doesn't sound like they're working more or less, just differently.

Hah..that's a silly argument. You're equating calling up an upperclassman friend to ask for an old test to just good ole' studying for an exam?

Yeah, the professors really can make a difference. I got a C the first time I took orgo, then I retook the first semester (because the first time was actually on a quarter scale and I was at a different school... long story) and got a B. Then, I was going to get a C the 2nd semester, dropped it, retook it and got an A. And then, I got a 13 on the BS part of the MCAT. So don't worry about about the C!

I busted my ass and got a D+ in Orgo I. Taking II elsewhere right now and on track to an A. Sometimes you just have crappy profs who can't teach and whose only goal is to fail as many premeds as possible!

Oh, and I got a 10 in BS on my MCAT - and o-chem was the easy part on there for me.

OP, don't despair! You're taking hard classes.

Hah..that's a silly argument. You're equating calling up an upperclassman friend to ask for an old test to just good ole' studying for an exam?

well you have to study the old exam and apply what you learned to new questions. I suppose you never took practice mcats either?

well you have to study the old exam and apply what you learned to new questions. I suppose you never took practice mcats either?

I think that's a different case. I understand studying and then taking old exams as practice. But, studying primarily from old exams knowing the real exam will be similar in content is not the same as studying from notes/books or whatever else. You're only learning the few concepts you'll need to do well on the test rather than studying it all because you're not sure exactly what'll be tested. I guess the professor is an idiot if he gives out old exams and gives essentially the same exam again.

Yeah, what concerns me is the course that you got a B in a class that you loved...

First and foremost understand the difference between a 3 credit and a 4 credit class and the workload difference. I would recommend taking no more than two 4 credit classes a semester. Also having a good mix of challenging/not challenging classes help.

I was like you; I took 20 credits one semester and got a 2.9 GPA. After that, I changed my approach to selecting classes, stuck to around 14-16 credits a semester, and had been doing 3.5+ since.

You can do it. Just learn to study efficiently and don't overload yourself.

Yeah, what concerns me is the course that you got a B in a class that you loved...

First and foremost understand the difference between a 3 credit and a 4 credit class and the workload difference. I would recommend taking no more than two 4 credit classes a semester. Also having a good mix of challenging/not challenging classes help.

I was like you; I took 20 credits one semester and got a 2.9 GPA. After that, I changed my approach to selecting classes, stuck to around 14-16 credits a semester, and had been doing 3.5+ since.

Well, the 4 credit vs. 3 credit argument is not so cut-and-dry. For example, at my school, Introduction to Economics is 4 credits, and Biochemistry (which has 2 semester's of organic chemistry and cell biology as a prerequisite) is 3 credits. Is Biochemistry I less work than Intro to Economics because it meets for one hour less per week? I'm sure for most, myself certainly included, Biochem would take 10x as much studying to get an A in than would Economics. Don't be afraid of taking a few 4 credit classes if you feel you can hack them.

:mad:

So I got three B's, a C, and an A this semester. So this terms GPA finished out as a 3.0

A: independent study
C: O-chem (Thank god I am done with that class:D )
B: Embryology (I loved that class)
B: Biotechnology (some non-science major student got a better grade then me and I have well over 20 biology credits and this was her first science class ever in college, :laugh: )
B: Abnormal Psychology

Depends on the number of credit hours. You may be above or below a 3.0 for this semester especially if the number of credits hours for O-Chem were more than the number of credit hours for independent study.

Embryology is a great subject. Some people hate the subject and some people love it. My embryology professor was a former neonatologist (spelling ?) for 35 years. He knows the subject inside and out. It is not easy to memorize all of the transcription factors that are active for eye development, maxilla development, and heart development on the same exam.

Exam 1 Topics:

- Sperm and Egg formation
- Embryological Growth
- Gastrulation
- Integumentary System

Exam 2:
- Limb development
- Pancreas development
- Neural tube development
- Development of the Brain and Cranial Nerves
- Embryonic Folding.
- Development of the Vasculature

Exam 3:

- Heart development
- Head and face development
- Ear development
- Eye development
- Gastrointestinal and respiratory development
- Kidney development
- Urogenital System

Exam 3 was by far the hardest one.

The class had 400 points possible. 3 100 point exams and a 100 point paper that was 20 pages long on any topic of your choice that is related to embryological development. I did my paper on fetal therapy. I got a 90/100 on the paper (remember, an experienced former clinician was reading the paper…so I could not fluff random crap like you could at a PhD professor in this subject when it comes to clinical related information).
I finished the course with 345 points out of 400. So I finished the course with an 86 percent. We had one hour to answer 80 questions on all three exams. Our paper was our final.

This embryology class was the hardest class I have ever taken and I did very well in the course. There were no A's in this class. Out of 6 students who took the class 1 student got an F, 1 student got a D, 1 student got a C, and the rest of us got B's.

Now that this O-chem class is done I won't be getting anymore C's.

Please tell me someone else did well in orgo and that I'm not the only one? SDN makes it seem like my teacher was comparable to God in his overall knowledge (God knows all ;)) and kindness, haha.

Pshawww, O-chem Schmo-chem....

My science GPA is higher then my CGPA! :laugh: I got C's in both semesters of general chemistry and organic chemistry, but my science GPA is still higher then my CGPA!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

are the exam questions the same every semester? I doubt it. Having old exams helps, but it's still considered "studying" they're not just memorizing the answers and rewriting them. However, if that's the case the professor is pretty silly and you should be upset with him, not the girls.

It's still insider information and they have more of an idea of what the questions will be like, I am sure if everyone had the same materials they'd do just as well.

A lot of professors recycle their tests, after all, who wants to sit there and make new ones? I bet they'll figure it out when they get into medical school when they actually have to study from their books for once.

This embryology class was the hardest class I have ever taken and I did very well in the course. There were no A’s in this class. Out of 6 students who took the class 1 student got an F, 1 student got a D, 1 student got a C, and the rest of us got B’s.

Now that this O-chem class is done I won't be getting anymore C's.
I hate it when professors do that at an undergrad level.