B in Orgo 1, Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuanpro

Army Vet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I first got a B in Intro Bio and then C in English writing, that's enough to freak me out. But now a B in Orgo 1, making my BCMP gpa 3.4. I'm planning on getting an A in Orgo 2 next semester as well as doing better in biochem and other advanced courses in future, but just wonder if that's is what I should do or should I just retake Orgo 1 and get an A before jumping to Orgo 2? People said one B or C is ok but now I got 2 B's and a C. Thanks alot guys!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you end up doing as you say you will and get A's in the rest of your pre-reqs, you will be fine. But orgo 2 is a lot more difficult than orgo 1. You need to reevaluate your study habits, maybe get a tutor, etc for orgo 2. I wouldn't retake it if I were you. A couple of B's is perfectly fine, but rock your upper level courses to bring up your BCPM GPA

Don't retake. Do better in future classes like orgo 2 and biochem. Maybe take a more advanced writing course and get an A.

Honestly, your 2 Bs and a C dont matter that much, just work to get your GPA atleast 3.6 around application time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. I first got a B in Intro Bio and then C in English writing, that's enough to freak me out. But now a B in Orgo 1, making my BCMP gpa 3.4. I'm planning on getting an A in Orgo 2 next semester as well as doing better in biochem and other advanced courses in future, but just wonder if that's is what I should do or should I just retake Orgo 1 and get an A before jumping to Orgo 2? People said one B or C is ok but now I got 2 B's and a C. Thanks alot guys!! :confused:

Yea bro, retake everything you don't make an A in. That's a pretty common rule here.

Seriously though, there is no point in re-taking a B. If you make an A after re-taking it, your averaged grade for the course will still be a B. If anything, retake english.

B's are fine, just try to keep your GPA (both science and overall) around the 3.5 range.

Doesn't matter how many B's or C's you have as long as you have a good GPA. If there is a C- tho... then you have to retake.

My school doesn't even allow you to retake a B, only a C- or below...

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! In addition, I heard that retake can be a little beneficial if you go for DO because they take the higher grade. Is that true however?
For now, I think I should swallow this B and move into orgo 2 though! :idea:

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! In addition, I heard that retake can be a little beneficial if you go for DO because they take the higher grade. Is that true however?
For now, I think I should swallow this B and move into orgo 2 though! :idea:
Move on, but first, why did you get a B in bio, and why did you get a B in Orgo? B's are not the end of the world, but you should know why you didn't do better, and you should take the time to figure out what you need to do to get the A's from now on, not just go to the next class and do the same thing again.

Grade replacement is pretty useless for B's. They take the higher grade, but it is much more useful for D's and F's. If a couple B's are all you have to worry about, you won't need the GPA boost at all anyway.