Ba ? Bs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bottle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

i got simple question and hope to find the answer

whats the differents between BA and BS ?

i found university that offer BA or BS in Biochemistry !
i always thought BA and BS are the same thing, just name difference.

but that university just confused the hell out of me
can someone tell me the difference ?

also good luck to all the new grad students :)
3rd dec is soon :) , hope you all get in your first choice.

Members don't see this ad.

i found university that offer BA or BS in Biochemistry !
i always thought BA and BS are the same thing, just name difference.

You are thinking the right thing. For all practical purposes a BA (Bachelor of Arts) is equivalent to a BS (Bachelor of Sciences). Now some of the requirements for the degree may be different, but both the BS and the BA will be, forever and always, considered an undergraduate degree.

You are thinking the right thing. For all practical purposes a BA (Bachelor of Arts) is equivalent to a BS (Bachelor of Sciences). Now some of the requirements for the degree may be different, but both the BS and the BA will be, forever and always, considered an undergraduate degree.
and for dental schools, it doesn't matter if you have BS or BA right ?

im thinking about BS in chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
and for dental schools, it doesn't matter if you have BS or BA right ?

Some people get in with undergraduate degrees in music and art. You can earn an undergraduate degree in anything. So long as you have the pre-reqs done, it won't matter if you earned a BA or a BS degree.

OP:

Sometimes universities offer a degree, in the same academic discipline, as either a BS or a BA. The bachelors of science and the bachelors of arts in biochemistry are both "four year degrees" however, the coursework is most likely different.

In general a BA in an academic discipline will be more broad by offering classes across a wide spectrum of fields in addition to biochemistry. Biochemistry will be the focus but you will not take as many upper level biochem courses. Instead you will take more courses outside your major such as econ, lit, etc.

A BS in an academic discipline will be much more narrow in focus. The degree requirements will dictate that youl take more biochemistry-specific-upper division courses. You will take less courses outside your major of biochem - particularly in your junior and senior year. BS degrees also require more credit hours (most of the time). If you were planning to do a phd in a science field the BS route would be best.

Having said all that - at most institutions you can take w/e classes you want in addition to your degree requirements. So it would not be impossible for a BA biochem student to tack on a few extra biochem electives during their junior and senior year.

IMO you should go the BA route if dental school is your goal. It will give you the ability to take the necessary prereq courses during the first two years; but, allow you flexibility your last two years. Indeed, you can take upper level bio courses suggested by dental school, business classes outside your major, or just some BS (as in b*** sh**;) ) classes to pad your GPA. You may not have those options in a full-on-BS-Biochem-degree program.

Last edited:
Actually most of the time there is absolutely no difference in the amount of upper levels you'd take in biochemistry for a BS vs BA.

This is incorrect. The BS option will require more biochem electives in the junior and senior year. OP: Check with your institution.

Actually most of the time there is absolutely no difference in the amount of upper levels you'd take in biochemistry for a BS vs BA.

For a same bio major in my first institution, BS take more science courses, while BA took less acience but had more GE requirement to finish. For purpose of dental school, they are same.

Think of a BA as being the easier way out, at least, in the sciences.

I wouldn't say the BA is always easier than the BS.

The BS in Biology here just means you have to take two specific biology classes.
The BA in Biology just gives you the chance to take those as any elective and lets you take Applied Calc I and Life Statistics (now required in Texas D Schools) so its actually more beneficial I believe.

But to the admissions it won't matter. BA or BS the only difference is if you can't get in, then it may be hard pressed to find a research oriented job because they are pretty stingy.

thanks for the response guys :)

@yappy:

so the BA give me more flexibility ? sadly that confusing university only offer BS for chemistry.
actully since BA have less science, it will be better since science in universities is harder than HS
which means, easier way to gain high GPA, right ?

The BS in Biology here just means you have to take two specific biology classes.
The BA in Biology just gives you the chance to take those as any elective and lets you take Applied Calc I and Life Statistics (now required in Texas D Schools) so its actually more beneficial I believe.

But to the admissions it won't matter. BA or BS the only difference is if you can't get in, then it may be hard pressed to find a research oriented job because they are pretty stingy.

its funny :) when i asked if BA is easier in my eariler post. right after i posted it
your post shows up :)

so you all recommend BA ?

I wouldn't sweat it too much. an A student is an A student. Given the choice though - I wish I would have just done a non-sci major like business and done the predent prereqs. In the end pick the major that you are most interested in and that allows you to get into dental school.

GPA is king.

thanks for the response guys :)

@yappy:

so the BA give me more flexibility ? sadly that confusing university only offer BS for chemistry.
actully since BA have less science, it will be better since science in universities is harder than HS
which means, easier way to gain high GPA, right ?

This is incorrect. The BS option will require more biochem electives in the junior and senior year. OP: Check with your institution.
The only difference here for a BS vs BA biochem degree is whether or not you took one semester or calculus or more than one.

The BA vs BS distinction is largely just a preference of the respective institution.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. an A student is an A student. Given the choice though - I wish I would have just done a non-sci major like business and done the predent prereqs. In the end pick the major that you are most interested in and that allows you to get into dental school.

GPA is king.
actully its great idea to major in business

but wouldn't it look bad to dental schools ?
im afaird if i do major in business, i'll come off to them as someone who go after money.

i think i'll love chemistry ( even though never had chemistry labs in my HS ) i think i'll love it.
but people say that science majors such as chem, bio, phy is hard in university. and im having doubts on myself if i can do good in science.

BA is always easier than BS. The BA route always takes out a weeder course in exchange for a liberal arts or lower level science or math course. A BA at my university takes out Organic Chemistry and Calculus and instead requires easy humanity requirements. It makes no other sense that a major in any science subject would exclude certain difficult science courses in exchange for humanities unless it was meant to be an easier, more-flexible route.

In the context of dental school admissions, the differences between the two degrees by themselves are trivial. The specific course load and course choices will likely make the difference between a BA and a BS student. They want to know if you can handle a science intensive dental school curriculum. They do not gauge admissions based on the likelihood that you will be a successful businessman or woman after dental school. Humanity courses are not significant indicators of success in dental school; they could have a positive correlation with private practice success but that is irrelevant with the goal of dental school, which is to produce scientifically trained surgeons and physicians of the mouth. The applicant with more upper level science courses under his or her belt has the upper hand in better proving his or her competency in handling courses similar to that of dental school. More often than not, that person will have a BS but it is not the BS degree itself that makes that person better suited than an BA student. You could be a BA and still take just as many science classes as a BS.

To sum it up, a BA's existence is to be a flexible and less science intensive (therefore easier by most accounts) alternative to the BS of the same subject. You could be a BA and take just as many science classes as the BS but they would have to be a part of your electives. The BS, on the other hand, already has many of the science courses, required by dental schools, as core requirements. Therefore, it is generally more efficient credit-wise to be a BS, especially in Biology, if one intends to apply to dental school.

Last edited:
actully its great idea to major in business

but wouldn't it look bad to dental schools ?
im afaird if i do major in business, i'll come off to them as someone who go after money.

i think i'll love chemistry ( even though never had chemistry labs in my HS ) i think i'll love it.
but people say that science majors such as chem, bio, phy is hard in university. and im having doubts on myself if i can do good in science.

Start getting into the habit of questioning everything. Do not take anything as truth until you've proven it to yourself. Forget all of your teenage worries and think for a moment. You are a living biological machine unlike any other because you have the consciousness to realize how intricate, infinitely small yet increasingly large, and mysterious the universe and everything within it is. Aren't you the least bit curious how everything exists and came into existence?

Doing well in college is all about time-management and hard work. Time-management can be relatively easily learned. Hard working is a character that takes a certain mindset driven best by intrinsic motivation. The best motivators for me are relentless curiosity and expansion of my understanding of the human existence along with everything that comes to influence it.

"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you are going to live forever."

Start getting into the habit of questioning everything. Do not take anything as truth until you've proven it to yourself. Forget all of your teenage worries and think for a moment. You are a living biological machine unlike any other because you have the consciousness to realize how intricate, infinitely small yet increasingly large, and mysterious the universe and everything within it is. Aren't you the least bit curious how everything exists and came into existence?

Doing well in college is all about time-management and hard work. Time-management can be relatively easily learned. Hard working is a character that takes a certain mindset driven best by intrinsic motivation. The best motivators for me are relentless curiosity and expansion of my understanding of the human existence along with everything that comes to influence it.

"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you are going to live forever."

to be honest with you, i've been questioning everything since i graduate high school :scared:

but i think you are right, i should do what i want instead of listening to people experience and compare it with mine.

but i got one more question ( i know i ask alot sorry :D )

i looked at the BA & BS Biochemistry courses in my university website

the only difference between them is BS biochemistry take O chem honors & honors laps

what is honors ?

I chose BS because science is cool.

Until Junior year, I kept saying, "Man I wish I would have done a BA, it would have been SOOOO much EASIER! I could have taken business, econ, and maybe even sociology and get easy A's!"

Then junior year came, and I had enough free time in my schedule to take those "easy" classes anyways. I quickly found out that I just suck at everything that isn't a science. I can get A's in ochem, biochem, quantum & relativity while sleeping through class, but getting that stupid A in econ and psych were the biggest ******* I've ever had to dredge through in my collegiate career.

My advice: Figure out as soon as possible what you're good at. If you're really good at science, do the BS. You'll like it more and it'll be surprisingly easier than a BA. If you're good at everything, do the BA, you'll probably have more fun and it's probably easier on an absolute scale if all of your skills are equivalent. If you're so-so at everything and science isn't your strongest subject but you want a science degree to prepare you for dental school, definitely do the BA.

well, i like Bio and chem ( and i think i'll fall in love with chem labs )
im good at math ( i don't like it but im good at it ) Phy is the worst thing i have ever seen.

thanks for the help FaithBuild :)

still nobody gave me answer on " Chem Honors " what the hell is it ?

well, i like Bio and chem ( and i think i'll fall in love with chem labs )
im good at math ( i don't like it but im good at it ) Phy is the worst thing i have ever seen.

thanks for the help FaithBuild :)

still nobody gave me answer on " Chem Honors " what the hell is it ?

Depends on the university. At my University, chem honors is a joke. It's the same exact material, same exact text book, but you're in a smaller room with everyone else who is a chem BS. At least here, and I go to a pretty reputable school, it is nothing like the way you'd think an "honors" class would be. The regular ochem here is much more difficult than the honors ochem here. Main reason being that most of the pre-meds take regular ochem, whereas the only people taking honors will be the chem BS majors. Consequently, the regular ochem here is filled with a lot more studious people, so the course moves very fast and there is hardly any curve. The "honors" ochem chem class only covered about 3/4 of the material as the regular ochem my year, and students got A's without learning jack, thanks to a more generous curve.

The whole thing is a joke, like I said. The only reason they call it "honors" is to distinguish it from the other ochem class and make the chem majors feel special, since they should be good at chemistry afterall.

But it may be different at your school. If by coincidence you go to my school, take the regular ochem. It's harder but it will prepare you infinitely better for the DAT.

so you mean that " honors " are suppose to be upper level of chem.

ok thanks that was helpful :)

today is 3rd dec.
-prays everybody gets in dental school-