BA/MD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinnameenah18

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! my brother advised that i use SDN (he's going to U of AL for med school, so first post for me, but anyway...i'm going to be a senior in high school when the year starts and i really want to get into a BA/MD program somewhere, preferably in california... so if anyone has gone through the app/acceptance process already, could you give me any tips or advice on what i should do?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The school that I'm going to has an 8-year BA/MD program. Go to
www.baylor.edu and look under academics. Go to college of arts and sciences and then find the pre-health care programs section. I myself did not apply to the program b/c my field of study falls out of the reach of the BA degree (I plan to study music before entering the professional MD program). Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about how you do with reguard to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also know that New York University has an 8-year BA/MD program.

brown has 8 year ba/md program, i think umkc has a 6 year program and lehigh too. gwu has 8 i believe, and rochester has 7 year. i dunno of any in cali though. i know some schools like vandy and miami accept students into their med school after a year of undergrad or so.
good luck.

Ask your brother or shall I say ask ______ ;) for a copy of his MSAR or buy one online. It lists ALL the BA/BS-MD programs in the US w/ the exception of UAB. I don't know why they omit that every year. Anyways, my sister is also a rising senior and looking into those programs. I remember CA had a couple, and I'd list them for you but I don't have my MSAR handy. The MSAR lists the avg SAT and SAT II scores as well as GPA for each program. If you don't have the MSAR, I'll be more than willing to look inside it tomorrow and list the programs for you w/ the stats.

Do a search. If you are good enough to get into one of these, you'd be good enough to get into med school the regular way- and you can do other stuff like take time off and so on. I generally don't think these programs are as good as everyone says (and not just because the rice/baylor prog overnighted me a rejection letter as soon as i sent in the app, either ;)) --Trek

Yay what? --Trek

Cool. --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man, totally. --Trek

I beg to differ--getting into one of these programs gives you the best of both worlds. The stress of getting in is somewhat lifted off you, and you get to explore things you normally might not.

The only two schools with real B/MD programs in CA are UCSD and USC. I know that USC allows students to apply out and keep their guarantee at the same time. You simply can't beat that deal. Granted, USC is no Brown or Harvard, but it ain't a bad school either. I'm not sure if UCSD gives students the same freedom to apply out, but it's a great program nonetheless and the med school is almost as good as UCLA.

That's why getting into these programs is becoming so friggin' hard!

Originally posted by Trek
Do a search. If you are good enough to get into one of these, you'd be good enough to get into med school the regular way- and you can do other stuff like take time off and so on. I generally don't think these programs are as good as everyone says (and not just because the rice/baylor prog overnighted me a rejection letter as soon as i sent in the app, either ;)) --Trek

Other schools I know of with B/MD Programs:

Univ. of Michigan Inteflex (Arguably the best B/MD program in the world)
Lehigh w/ MCP
Rice w/ Baylor
Brown PLME
Villanova
Penn State
Union College in NY
Rennsalear Polytechnic
Northwestern
MCV/Virginia Commonwealth Univ.

There are many more I forget but I'll add them as they come to me.

rochesters is 8 years - i heard rumors of it being phased out (good riddance); isn't U Mich's inteflex gone as well? i was accepted to a ba/md proggie out of highschool and didn't go (not a good undergrad college) - and am really glad for that decision. i think most people who are smart enough to get into these programs are definately good enough to get into an equal or better med school than the school is attached too. but if its rice/baylor - brown hplme - rochester - ucsd - northwestern - you certainly aren't getting short changed. goodluck though.
-jot

CA has three BA/BS-MD programs.

--UCSD: avg HS GPA-4.33 and minimum SAT of 1450 or ACT of 32; 6 students
--USC: avg HS GPA-3.89 and avg SAT of 1480; 45 students
--UCR/UCLA (I don't know why it's listed in here...it's not guaranteed admission upon entrance to UCR, but rather you apply to UCLA after 3 yrs of undergrad at UCR and I think you have to take the MCAT before applying to UCLA--sorry it's kinda vague): avg HS GPA-3.83 and avg SAT of 1340 and avg MCAT of 30.9; 24 students

There are 35-38 schools w/ these BA/BS-MD programs. But, some of them have residency requirements, so make sure you read up on them before spending the money.

Boston U has a program also. UCSD has a program? that must be new....that wasn't around when I was applying.

Probably the best programs are Northwestern, Rice/baylor, and UMich. UMich is probably the hardest to get into, especially if you are out of state. I was/am an HPME at Northwestern, and I can say that it was a pretty good program. It's definitely easier than the traditional route; minimal stress, plus it saves a year which saved me a lot of money.

Don't apply to the UCLA/UCR program...it shouldn't even be called a program. They accept around 200 students and "weed out" 175 of them. Only 25 make it to UCLA. The rest are put in a tough spot. I have heard many horror stories about this thing. If you're good enough to make the cut in this program, you might as well go to Harvard or Hopkins instead of getting locked in to one school.

anybody that is doing these programs to save times should reconsider (no one has stated this yet - just sayin') - college isn't an obstacle to medschool. the more one views it as such, the harder it will be, and the less enjoyable it will be. i can't say that i've enjoyed every single moment studying for gen chem, diffyq etc... but i've had a great time. there is much to do, and getting into med school doesn't have to be a grey cloud looming over your head throughout college. i don't think people get as much enjoyment emulating other peoples success as doing something of their own. a lot of this is self-evident; but maybe not to some kids entering college terrified of "the pre-med major" [sic]. anyway - goodluck regardless.
-jot

these programs rock cuz most of them let you apply out.

let's see!

guaranteed admissions to a cali med school

just keep minimal reqs (3.3 and 3 9's on ur MCATs)

take the required classes

and u r in the med school!

==>

NO STRESS, no need to fret over BS extracurrics if u ain't into that ****! no premed anal-ness at all. just basically 4 yrs of fun to do whatever FUN OR INTERESTING **** u wanna do!

how the fu@k is that bad?!

I LOVE SC'S program and have no regrets bout passing up harv or yale for it!

SC PRIDE!!!

whaaaaaaaattttttttup DR Q. what u doing w/ ur ghetto self on these boards?! =)

One of my real good friends is in plme at brown, and he seems to love it, and has no stress. Now my friend is the type of guy who doesnt study and gets A's no matter what and is an extremely good test-taker. Now his bro is 1 year younger than him and he is going to plme also this year. For the bro he couldve gone to plme, princeton, yale or duke and some other top 20 schools. Now the bro is hard-working but is also naturally smart, however he was having a real tough time between plme and princeton. I told him that if you go to plme you will most likely be less stressed, but also you wont care as much and you wont get the premed work ethic that is necessary. I think for plme you only need like a 3.25 or something to get into browns med school, and i told him that you will coast through undergrad, but you wont have the proper work ethic for med school because you know that you are already in medical school.
Now im not saying plme or any of those 8 year programs are a bad thing (cause if i had the chance i wouldve gone to one of those) but because you know you are accepted into medical school, you may not develop the proper study habits that will be needed to succeed for medical school.
Oh yeah my friends bro will be going to plme next year.
just my .02 and hope it helps.

that's stupid to think that if u go to one of these programs, u'll have more of a chance to not develop the work ethic

i'm in the program and got a consistent 3.95 in my 3 yrs and a 40 mcat.

in fact, developing this so called "work ethic" might actually help u burn out sooner.

Hey Dr. Kevin, I think I know you in real life. Anyway, I'm the year above you. You're one of the Kevins I guess.

You gave a shout out to Dr. Q? Dr. Q roams this board?

I second what Dr. Kevin said...don't let work ethic be a deterrent to going to one of these programs. It's all up to the individual. If you're self-motivated, you'll do fine anywhere. But in one of these programs, you WILL be much less stressed and it eliminates the randomness you will face in the admissions process. A lot of top quality people--I'm not just talking about grades and MCATs, I'm talking personalities and experiences--simply don't get into med school. Why take the risk?

Originally posted by pbehzad
One of my real good friends is in plme at brown, and he seems to love it, and has no stress. Now my friend is the type of guy who doesnt study and gets A's no matter what and is an extremely good test-taker. Now his bro is 1 year younger than him and he is going to plme also this year. For the bro he couldve gone to plme, princeton, yale or duke and some other top 20 schools. Now the bro is hard-working but is also naturally smart, however he was having a real tough time between plme and princeton. I told him that if you go to plme you will most likely be less stressed, but also you wont care as much and you wont get the premed work ethic that is necessary. I think for plme you only need like a 3.25 or something to get into browns med school, and i told him that you will coast through undergrad, but you wont have the proper work ethic for med school because you know that you are already in medical school.
Now im not saying plme or any of those 8 year programs are a bad thing (cause if i had the chance i wouldve gone to one of those) but because you know you are accepted into medical school, you may not develop the proper study habits that will be needed to succeed for medical school.
Oh yeah my friends bro will be going to plme next year.
just my .02 and hope it helps.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
these programs rock cuz most of them let you apply out.

let's see!

guaranteed admissions to a cali med school

just keep minimal reqs (3.3 and 3 9's on ur MCATs)

take the required classes

and u r in the med school!

==>

NO STRESS, no need to fret over BS extracurrics if u ain't into that ****! no premed anal-ness at all. just basically 4 yrs of fun to do whatever FUN OR INTERESTING **** u wanna do!

how the fu@k is that bad?!

agreed

WHATUP DR. Q. thanks for getting my back!

So lizardking, who r u? need to figure that out. itz kinda weird, 3 SC peeps here

yeeaaaaahhh

SC PRIDE!

I ****ING HATE ARIZONA>>>THERE"S LIKE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGS EVERY NIGHT IT SEEMS> PUTS A DAMPER ON ANY AFTERNOON/EVENING ACTIVITIES

The AAMC req's book has a listing of BA/MD programs, you should have a good look at that.

One of my younger friends applied to several different programs for undergrad last year. He got into Umich, Northwestern (i think), was waitlisted at MIT and then got in there, and was rejected from Harvard. Roughly that competitive-level was able to get him into BU's BA/MD program.

Getting into MD school is a lot more harass-free w/ this program but that also implies you won't get an extra push to work hard. It is kinda a good and bad situation.

Good luck

a previous post mentioned checking aamc. very good idea. =) just in case you aren't familiar - aamc is the american assc of medical colleges. so if you need listings of medical school admissions offices, links to medical schools, the common app to med schools (amcas), it's all there.

re the ba/md question. follow the link - http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/programs/collegemd.htm

i promise that this list is by no means comprehensive. you'll need to find the actual book put out by aamc to get the true list. for example, rice/baylor is not on the webpage, but it definitely exists. same goes for wash u's university scholars' ba/md program.

perhaps you'll get lucky and someone on sdn will look up the list in their book and post it to the forum. i unfortunately am abroad and dont' have one. =( luck!

Is Dr. Q the REAL Dr. Q? Q as in...well some of you should know exactly who I'm talking about. Anyway, Dr. Q, I will keep your identity secret. Just thought it's interesting that you would peruse this forum.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

same goes for wash u's university scholars' ba/md program.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know how old your information is, but this program ended over 5 years ago.

Jason

Originally posted by LizardKing
Is Dr. Q the REAL Dr. Q? Q as in...well some of you should know exactly who I'm talking about. Anyway, Dr. Q, I will keep your identity secret. Just thought it's interesting that you would peruse this forum.

i'm not the dr. q ur thinking of. The name is purely coincedental... i'm a student at SC

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

that's confusing - here's the link i found.

http://uscholars.wustl.edu/admissio...rset=iso-8859-1

the same website shows the option of downloading an app for class of 2007, as if to suggest they do update site every so often. just trying to help. if you're serious about this program, just call wash u. we might confuse you more.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

Wow. I talked with Steve Frappier over in undergraduate admissions and he told me that they brought back the program under the umbrella of the university scholars program. This is new starting this year!

There used to be a program called FLEX or something like that 5-6 years ago which was medicine only.

Just looking over the page, you need to keep a 3.8 GPA, 36 MCAT, complete the application for the medical school, and also interview with their committee. Sounds to me like actually going through the normal admissions process. Lack of these credentials threatens your "guaranteed" entrance into the school. Keep in mind that I believe that the you have to be at the average or higher of the GPA & MCAT of all students attending WU medical school.

Having gone through WashU, keeping a 3.8 GPA is not easy especially in the hard sciences. This is a really tough nut to crack; you're going to have to work very hard to keep your admission to the medical school.

Anyways, anybody applying to this program, best of luck: you're going to need it.

Yours,

Jason

what's up lizard king!

did u ever send those thank u cards and petitions for judy? =)

haha jp man

haha... good call dr. kevin

2.75 and no mcats? that some tight deal man!

anyway SC PRIDE!!

2002 NCAA MEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONS!!

Ha ha you're funny, crackhead. Now that you figured out who I am...you betta watch your back.

Just kidding...but I do plan to smack you upside the head next time I see you.

what's up lizard king!

did u ever send those thank u cards and petitions for judy? =)

haha jp man

hahaha lizardking!

congrats tho, not sure if i told u, for getting into JHU =)

guess it'll be u and kristine y. representin'

Hey thanks. This year, 3 people from SC are going to Hopkins...craziness.

I'll be retiring from SDN soon...Looks like you guys are taking over!

hahaha lizardking!

congrats tho, not sure if i told u, for getting into JHU =)

guess it'll be u and kristine y. representin'

who is the last LZ? is it a bac or only a random?

i know there's at least 5 other peeps from SC that read these boards but they r all lurking and rn't addicted like me. kinda sad that i got addicted so quickly

It's a bacc. A girl...you might know her. Anyway, yea there's a lot of silent B/MDers on this board. They hide and never post...only steal info from us.

Ha ha, it's funny you mention your addiction. Look up my epic thread...Top Ten Signs you're Addicted to SDN. It went for 150 or so posts. Welcome to the club.

who is the last LZ? is it a bac or only a random?

i know there's at least 5 other peeps from SC that read these boards but they r all lurking and rn't addicted like me. kinda sad that i got addicted so quickly

I guess GO SNEAKY BACCS THEN

i'll look up that addiction thread, but after my experiment. later

This is an interesting topic for me because I got into Northwestern's HPME program and decided not to attend. A lot of people told me I was crazy, because as LoneSeal said in her post, the program is excellent. (Although, i was under the impression that I wouldnt be able to apply out after the 3 years but maybe I just didnt look into it enough.)
Anyways, I decided to go to a different school for just a regular BS and I dont regret it at all. I didnt want to complete my undergrad in three years and I wanted to go to a school that I saw as a bitter fit for me. Dont get me wrong - there have been times when i have wondered how much less stressful it would have been if I had done HPME.
LoneSeal, we have a lot in common because I also got really sick in school and my sophomore year grades were terrible. If i had been at Northwestern, things might have been better for me. Instead, I had to delay my application for a year to show that I can actually do alright in school.
So i am just starting my year off, after graduation, worrying about AMCAS and secondaries and paying for all these apps (and by the way, I am applying to Northwestern hehe). I think about how if i had done the program, I would be starting my 2nd year there in the fall, no stress, but hey I guess thats how it goes. I had an amazing time in college and I dont regret my choice.
Well, we'll see if i still feel that way in one year when i have no acceptances!!! ;)
Bounty

be positive bounty and good luck

Hey...I was a silent BA?MD kid until you guys coerced me to join... :rolleyes:

Anyway, a word about BA?MD programs in general. I think that they're only worth it if A) you're hellbent on becoming an MD as fast as possible or B)You want the ability to explore a lot of different things without the stress of taking MCATs, etc. If you're leaning towards choice A, then apply to 6 year programs -- you'll go insane in 8 year program where they won't let you accelerate AT ALL (ggrrr...that's mine) If it's B, however, then take an 8 year program, because you really are free to major in whatever you want, and I feel it affords one more of a "true college experience" because you do get 4 years in undergrad. Then again, I'm going to be in my second year undergrad, so what do I know :laugh: . Also, people I know in 6 year programs are very stressed, but enjoy lording it over me that they'll be doctors before I will...although, us 8 year people ususally don't have to take MCATs...7 year programs seem rather superfluous. Oh well, just a thought. PM me if you want more info.

BTW, Michigan NO LONGER offers a BA/MD program. They got rid of it for some reason...