BA vs. BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school offers a BA in Biology and a BS in Biology, does it really make any difference which you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on whether you want to become an artist or a scientist.

BS degrees are typically more narrowly focused, while BA's are supposed to represent more "well-rounded" recipients. A biology BS will be composed primarily of biology coursework, while a BA in any discipline will encompass more classes not directly related to the major. The designation BA or BS itself has nothing to do with what area of study the degree is for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just felt like giving my 2 cents.

At some schools which degree is conferred is solely based on college attended within a university.

At Cornell; students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (such as myself) receive a BS regardless of there major; whether biology, communications, or business). Students in the College of Arts and Science receive a BA (it is actually an AB, but that is a different post) regardless of there major, whether is be English, Chemistry, or Physics.

Some universities only award one type of degree for undergraduates.

Originally posted by captaintripps
Depends on whether you want to become an artist or a scientist.

Thanks for another *****ic post to jumble up SDN cyberspace. Do us all a favor and get out of the gene pool!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, in my opinion undergraduate work in general is all BS. That said, I'm getting my BA in biology.

Originally posted by RaiderNation
If a school offers a BA in Biology and a BS in Biology, does it really make any difference which you do?

It is not BA or BS, it is what the person knows, what has he
learned, that is what is important!
All the best guys!

get your BA, it looks better to be more well rounded for preprofessional admissons.

Originally posted by init4damoney
Well, in my opinion undergraduate work in general is all BS. That said, I'm getting my BA in biology.

I agree. No matter what you get your degree in, it will always be BS.:smuggrin:

In Canada, we call it the BSc and if you do an honours degree, its called H.Bsc. I think they did this on purpose so people like RaiderNation wouldnt make lame/obvious jokes about BS degrees being BS :laugh:

Or maybe so ***** American Jr.'s like yourself would know what it really stood for.:laugh:

Originally posted by edkNARF
I just felt like giving my 2 cents.

At some schools which degree is conferred is solely based on college they attend within a university.

At Cornell; students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (such as myself) receive a BS regardless of there major; whether biology, communications, or business). Students in the College of Arts and Science receive a BA (it is actually an AB, but that is a different post) regardless of there major, whether is be English, Chemistry, English, or Physics.

Some universities only award one type of degree for undergraduates.

Wow; apparently, there is quite a bit of variation, which it's interesting for me to learn. Where I went to school, if you had N or more credit hours in sciences, you received a BS, regardless of your field of study or of how broad the scope of your education. If you had less than N hours of science coursework, you received a BA.

I've always thought it looked kinda nicer to have the BS, but where I come from, we were taught to perceive "arts" -> "joke," whereas "sciences" -> "serious study," a scheme which, although obviously horribly biased and full of hooey, will sometimes subconsciously affect peoples' perceptions.

Thus my thought is: all other things being equal, and given the choice, I'd pick the BS.

Originally posted by trypmo
Wow; apparently, there is quite a bit of variation, which it's interesting for me to learn. Where I went to school, if you had N or more credit hours in sciences, you received a BS, regardless of your field of study or of how broad the scope of your education. If you had less than N hours of science coursework, you received a BA.

I've always thought it looked kinda nicer to have the BS, but where I come from, we were taught to perceive "arts" -> "joke," whereas "sciences" -> "serious study," a scheme which, although obviously horribly biased and full of hooey, will sometimes subconsciously affect peoples' perceptions.

Thus my thought is: all other things being equal, and given the choice, I'd pick the BS.
I think you're right that it's mostly a matter of opinion and perspective. If somebody went to college to study one thing full-bore, he'd probably be more interested of the degree that'd come out of that process. As for me, I'm very much glad I had the chance to spend some time in classes covering a number of different disciplines. Some of the material I encountered in college, I had never seen before; and particularly now that I'm in dental school and focused on one particular career track, I'm glad I had the opportunity to cultivate some new academic interests while I still had the chance. Vive la BA! ;)

...OR you could be like me and forego the whole thing and enter dental school without it! We all end up in the same place in the end, right?