• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
Some foreign med schools don't require a bachelors degree to marticulate. Is a bachelors degree required to practice medicine in the US or to get a residency in the US?

B

Blade28

I know some medical schools and residencies don't require a Bachelor's, but this is rare. Not sure which ones, exactly.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
A lot of the carribean schools dont' require a bachelors as long as you have completed the prereqs. I was just wondering do residency programs require a bachelors degree? I would think as long as u graduated from med school, a bachelors degree wouldn't matter.

About the Ads
B

Blade28

Yeah, like I said, I know a small handful of attendings who actually don't have a college degree. In fact, one doesn't even have a high school degree. :)

The risk of going to a med school that doesn't require a Bachelor's, of course, is if you decide medicine isn't for you, you're stuck with only a high school diploma. You gotta then go back and finish college.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
Yea, I think i ll just stay another year and finish my degree, even though I know for sure that i want to do medicine.

MechE

Med School's Slave
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I think in India you can go to medical school right out of high school.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
If I remember correctly from my application days, I think a small minority of U.S. medical schools actually explicitly require you to have a bachelor's degree. Most successful applicants have one by default of course but you won't be denied admission based on this factor alone.

I actually only had about 92 semester hours of undergrad completed by the time I entered medical school. In other words, I still had my whole "senior" year ahead of me. But since I took a "nontraditional" route, I think this was more readily overlooked. If you are following a straight path from HS,to college then med school, you will most likely need to be on track to graduate with a Bachelor's the spring prior to matriculation before gaining acceptance. Just what I've experienced and seen FWIW.

About the Ads