Bachelor's Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some foreign med schools don't require a bachelors degree to marticulate. Is a bachelors degree required to practice medicine in the US or to get a residency in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

I know some medical schools and residencies don't require a Bachelor's, but this is rare. Not sure which ones, exactly.

A lot of the carribean schools dont' require a bachelors as long as you have completed the prereqs. I was just wondering do residency programs require a bachelors degree? I would think as long as u graduated from med school, a bachelors degree wouldn't matter.

Yeah, like I said, I know a small handful of attendings who actually don't have a college degree. In fact, one doesn't even have a high school degree. :)

The risk of going to a med school that doesn't require a Bachelor's, of course, is if you decide medicine isn't for you, you're stuck with only a high school diploma. You gotta then go back and finish college.

Yea, I think i ll just stay another year and finish my degree, even though I know for sure that i want to do medicine.

I think in India you can go to medical school right out of high school.

In Djibouti you can go to medical school following pre-K.

If I remember correctly from my application days, I think a small minority of U.S. medical schools actually explicitly require you to have a bachelor's degree. Most successful applicants have one by default of course but you won't be denied admission based on this factor alone.

I actually only had about 92 semester hours of undergrad completed by the time I entered medical school. In other words, I still had my whole "senior" year ahead of me. But since I took a "nontraditional" route, I think this was more readily overlooked. If you are following a straight path from HS,to college then med school, you will most likely need to be on track to graduate with a Bachelor's the spring prior to matriculation before gaining acceptance. Just what I've experienced and seen FWIW.

MechE said:
I think in India you can go to medical school right out of high school.

No i think u do 2 years of premed first.