Bachelors degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hisham nizar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone knew of any pharmacy schools that did not require a bachelors degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know most do not require, but most of them PREFER. When I finish my pre-pharmacy courses, should I apply? Or should I wait until I earn a Bachelor's? My top choice are UW and UA. Is there a high percent of getting in without a Bachelor degree?Any advise?

i know most do not require, but most of them PREFER. When I finish my pre-pharmacy courses, should I apply? Or should I wait until I earn a Bachelor's? My top choice are UW and UA. Is there a high percent of getting in without a Bachelor degree?Any advise?

You don't have to wait until you earn it to be considered as having one. It just needs to be completed prior to entering pharmacy school.

People are being accepted into programs without a college degree?:scared:

Yes. Technically, med students can be accepted without a college degree, too. Many pharmacy schools prefer a degree, though, and I think eventually it is going to be the standard.

Yes. The 0-6 and 2-4 programs definitely don't require college degrees for admission. Many other programs don't require a degree. This is shifting with the growing competition for admission into pharmacy school. Applicants with a bachelor's degree may be considered more competitive by adcoms than applicants who have not earned a degree.

If you're starting out in your pre-pharm courses now, plan on getting a BS/BA. Within 5 years one of the general requirements of pharmacy schools will be to have an undergrad degree. All of the schools I applied to this past cycle will move to this between this cycle and 2012

More and more students are applying to school with a degree now. Whether or not a school prefers one, you'll still be competing against that applicant pool. I don't see why adcom wouldn't take the applicant with a degree over the one without, all other things being equal.

it takes 4 years to take a bachelor degree. And most schools have you to retake science courses that are older than 5 years. What if I finish my degree and have to work for a couple years? It means I have to retake those courses again?Seriously??How do they count for the years, from the year i took those courses, or from the year i graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you have a bachelor's? What did you get it in? I would prefer to get a bachelor's but I don't really want one in chemistry. Also, I'm planning on going to a community college for the first two years, do you think it would be best if I took as few science courses as possible so that I can take most of them at the university level? The science courses do all transfer to the university I plan to go to, and the university has a pharmacy school that I really like.

And most schools have you to retake science courses that are older than 5 years. What if I finish my degree and have to work for a couple years? It means I have to retake those courses again?Seriously??How do they count for the years, from the year i took those courses, or from the year i graduate?

It will vary among CoPs. I'm not sure that most are 5 years. Some are also 7 or undefined. On top of that, some may grant exceptions depending on your activities between the course date and matriculation.

What if you finish the minimum pre-reqs in two years and have to work for a couple years? So.. almost same situation bachelors or not.

Yes seriously. It probably counts from course completion date. Where it ends is more ambiguous; is it at the time of application or matriculation?

How many of you have a bachelor's? What did you get it in? I would prefer to get a bachelor's but I don't really want one in chemistry. Also, I'm planning on going to a community college for the first two years, do you think it would be best if I took as few science courses as possible so that I can take most of them at the university level? The science courses do all transfer to the university I plan to go to, and the university has a pharmacy school that I really like.

Most people have bachelors. No one said your major has to be chemistry but if you dislike it that much and/or are that bad at it, then you may need to reconsider if pharmacy is the right health field. Point is, major in whatever you like, take all the pre-reqs, and be ready for those chem courses.

It would be bad to avoid science courses if you plan on majoring in science. Just take courses without regards to whether it is CC or Uni.

I think that came across wrong, I do like chemistry but I don't know what type of job I would get in chemistry if I decide to drop out of pharmacy school or something. I don't want to do research. It just seems like it would be a really limiting degree if I decide not to go with pharmacy. And I would like to know what other degrees people went with. Can it be pretty much anything as long as you get the pre-requisites?

I think that came across wrong, I do like chemistry but I don't know what type of job I would get in chemistry if I decide to drop out of pharmacy school or something. I don't want to do research. It just seems like it would be a really limiting degree if I decide not to go with pharmacy. And I would like to know what other degrees people went with. Can it be pretty much anything as long as you get the pre-requisites?

I was a music major. There are others who majored in other fields such as English and Econ. Major in something you're interested while taking the required classes.

I was a music major. There are others who majored in other fields such as English and Econ. Major in something you're interested while taking the required classes.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Good point. I forgot about that kind of reasoning. On the other hand, most bachelor degrees are limiting... so, yeah.

I guess my point wasn't clear, but you can major in whatever you want and take the additional pre-reqs, as others have said before me in a much more concise manner.

I think that came across wrong, I do like chemistry but I don't know what type of job I would get in chemistry if I decide to drop out of pharmacy school or something.

chemistry teacher. :)

Being a teacher doesn't work that way ;)

Ummm

Let's put it this way. I don't know **** about chemistry, and I passed the test one must take to become a licensed chemistry teacher. I was subsequently assigned two sections of 11th grade chemistry to teach.

Ummm

Let's put it this way. I don't know **** about chemistry, and I passed the test one must take to become a licensed chemistry teacher. I was subsequently assigned two sections of 11th grade chemistry to teach.

:laugh:

The high school I graduated from is like that... I'm pretty sure they would allow any of us science grads to teach regardless of being completely unqualified to teach anything. LOL

Don't even get me started on AZ's education system...although they have been TRYING to change that in recent years. The ****ty thing for teachers here is that they HAVE to take classes on teaching ESL to become certified. A lot of really good teachers don't want to jump through that hoop so we get a lot of not-so-good teachers staying in AZ to deal with the mess left from No Child Left Behind.

Don't even get me started on AZ's education system...although they have been TRYING to change that in recent years. The ****ty thing for teachers here is that they HAVE to take classes on teaching ESL to become certified. A lot of really good teachers don't want to jump through that hoop so we get a lot of not-so-good teachers staying in AZ to deal with the mess left from No Child Left Behind.

No real big surprise that our school systems lag behind almost every other "developed" nation.

Odd, though, that our college and beyond is so damn good.

No real big surprise that our school systems lag behind almost every other "developed" nation.

Odd, though, that our college and beyond is so damn good.

It makes me wonder how public and private schools (K-12) stack up against each other...

I am surprised by how few people have a grasp of basic mathematics after high school. I don't remember where I read the article, but a scientist was embarassed that most Americans don't take up to Calculus III in university as a standard!

It makes me wonder how public and private schools (K-12) stack up against each other...

I am surprised by how few people have a grasp of basic mathematics after high school. I don't remember where I read the article, but a scientist was embarassed that most Americans don't take up to Calculus III in university as a standard!

I don't know that private schools would necessarily be better, but you'd think so. I bet if you looked in the right place you could find someone showing a comparison...

I bet, like almost everything else, it really depends on where the schools are, and how strict their hiring practices are.

Last edited:
I don't know that private schools would necessarily be better, but you'd think so. I bet if you looked in the right place you could find someone showing a comparison...

I bet, like almost everything else, it really depends on where the schools are, and how strict their hiring practices are.

Most public high schools have SAT averages in the 1000s. Most private high schools have SAT scores that are higher like in the 1200s. That's the only information I have about private schools being a bit "better".

Most public high schools have SAT averages in the 1000s. Most private high schools have SAT scores that are higher like in the 1200s. That's the only information I have about private schools being a bit "better".

Ah, but here's the thing. Those who go to private schools generally come from money which means they have a lot more opportunities to have learning encouraged as they grow up. To put it simply, they have the world at their finger tips.

Meanwhile in public schools you have the kids who's parents barely make them dinner, let alone help them with their homework or provide an adequate learning environment.

There's a lot more to that story than just the numbers involved.

Yea, this whole "money privilege" thing is a problem, which is the whole argument behind URM.

I mean, you can say, "I worked so hard!" with a silver spoon stuck in your face, but really, if you grew up in a nuclear family with a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house and had adequate stuff growing up, adequate attention... you had it much easier than anyone who "made it out of the ghetto."

it's a multi-variate problem and that's why rushing into sweeping generalizations is a big ass fail.

Plus the numbers can misrepresent the truth. South Carolina was ranked terribly low in SAT scores as a state, but part of that is because high school students were required to take it. People who had no interest in college, but didn't mind a legitimate reason to skip class, took the test and basically drew Mickey Mouse in the bubbles.

My gf grew up in Colombia, SC. She has told me numerous stories about the people who "made it out" and those that didn't. She also said it varied a lot by high school. The first high school she went to, many of her friends ended up at top colleges/Ivy league and the other high school her crazy ass mother forced her to go to, she got jumped for being white (and gay). She said that in the spanish class, the kids would sit on their desks and talk and listen to music and told the spanish teacher to "shut the **** up"- straight out of a scene from Dangerous Minds. If any of those kids took the SAT, they would certainly skew the numbers.