Bachelor's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psittacidae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On most DVM school websites, I can't help but notice most say they are willing to accept applications from students with as little as 60-90 credits, assuming all the pre req's are completed. BUT, when I check out their statistics- it seems very few actually accept students without a Bachelors. Is the hope of getting into veterinary school without a degree unrealistic? Or can it be accomplished with the right planning? Are certain schools more likely to accept a "non-degreed" student over others?

Members don't see this ad.

On most DVM school websites, I can't help but notice most say they are willing to accept applications from students with as little as 60-90 credits, assuming all the pre req's are completed. BUT, when I check out their statistics- it seems very few actually accept students without a Bachelors. Is the hope of getting into veterinary school without a degree unrealistic? Or can it be accomplished with the right planning? Are certain schools more likely to accept a "non-degreed" student over others?
There are quite a few people in my class that didn't have degrees when they started vet school. Some of their vet school credits counted towards their bachelor's so they have them now. I think the trend is heading towards more schools only accepting students with degrees, but right now it is definitely possible.

Last edited:
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that a) many applicants don't have their prereqs completed by 3rd year (whether it's because they didn't want to rush things or because they didn't decide until later on that they wanted to go into vet med) and/or b) people choose to wait to apply until after 4th year so they can get their degree.

I was admitted to OVC after 3 years and a lot of my classmates also didn't complete a full degree. I did have to do a lot of planning though, including overloading on courses in 2nd year in order to fulfill all my prereqs in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be able to help with this one. I applied this year as a third-year undergraduate. I have enough credits to complete a bachelors degree, but I know others who applied and got accepted without getting one. I've seen presentations or websites where schools encourage it, but mainly schools seem to discourage it. One of the problems is that students with a low number of credits have not taken very many upper level science courses. During a file review, I found out that it was one of the biggest weak points I had this year on my application.

You can get in without a degree as long as the pre req's are completed, but it may be more difficult for you. I know at Auburn University that they will waive some of the requirements (such as humanities and fine arts) if you have your Bachelors degree. Those who attended undergraduate long enough to obtain a Bachelors degree are usually thought to be more prepared for veterinary school, and they have more time to make their application stronger. I personally think it puts you at a slight disadvantage depending on the school, but it is completely possible. I know a girl without a degree who last year got accepted into a school known to discourage it.

I'm a traditional student and so are those other people I know who applied as third-years, so I can't really help you much with the nontraditional point-of-view on this topic.

Check these out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=453055
http://studentdoctor.net/answers/53/is-a-bachelor-degree-required-to-apply-to-veterinary-school
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=647646

I feel like it's sort of the same as "You can apply if you have a 2.5 GPA".
Sure, you can apply, are you as likely to be accepted? Probably not. So I think people with bachelors (or those that will have one by matriculation) have an advantage. Most schools don't require one, but prefer one. Just like they don't require 4.0 GPAs, but prefer them. :rolleyes: Like someone else said, upper level classes can strengthen your application so it may be why statistics are skewed toward bachelor degrees. :confused:

To add a different point of view... I'm a non-traditional student and applied to 8 schools without a degree and with over half of my pre-reqs completed at a community college. I did *not* have a 4.0, I think my cumulative GPA was around 3.6.

I was accepted to three schools, waitlisted at one, and declined one interview (I had already been accepted to my second choice school). So out of the 8 schools, only 3 outright rejected me. So while people may tell you that it's really hard and most schools much prefer you to have a degree, I found that to not be the case at all and I'm really glad I hadn't heard that before applying. :)

To add a different point of view... I'm a non-traditional student and applied to 8 schools without a degree and with over half of my pre-reqs completed at a community college. I did *not* have a 4.0, I think my cumulative GPA was around 3.6.

I was accepted to three schools, waitlisted at one, and declined one interview (I had already been accepted to my second choice school). So out of the 8 schools, only 3 outright rejected me. So while people may tell you that it's really hard and most schools much prefer you to have a degree, I found that to not be the case at all and I'm really glad I hadn't heard that before applying. :)
:thumbup: This. I would not equate it to having a 2.5 GPA. Not at all.

I would still say schools prefer it. Obviously they don't turn everyone away without them, but I've had adcoms straight up tell me they prefer degrees. It definitely doesn't mean it's impossible, and huge congrats on your success, but to answer the OPs questions directly and truthfully, it is something that will give you an advantage.
You can always apply before you finish your degree, and the worst thing that can happen is you'll have to reapply the next year. It never hurts to try (it only hurts your wallet) :smuggrin:

:thumbup: This. I would not equate it to having a 2.5 GPA. Not at all.

Ok, no I wasn't equating it at all, I was saying it was the same idea as you can apply with minimum requirements, but they want to see beyond the minimum. That's all I meant by that. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. I'm not trying to discourage the OP at all, just give my opinion on their question.

I would still say schools prefer it. Obviously they don't turn everyone away without them, but I've had adcoms straight up tell me they prefer degrees. It definitely doesn't mean it's impossible, and huge congrats on your success, but to answer the OPs questions directly and truthfully, it is something that will give you an advantage.
You can always apply before you finish your degree, and the worst thing that can happen is you'll have to reapply the next year. It never hurts to try (it only hurts your wallet) :smuggrin:

i think it depends on what type of applicant you are. for trad students going HS-->college-->vet school, i think it is more important to have the degree (but certainly not all), whereas much less so for a non-trad coming from a career change

Ok, no I wasn't equating it at all, I was saying it was the same idea as you can apply with minimum requirements, but they want to see beyond the minimum. That's all I meant by that. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. I'm not trying to discourage the OP at all, just give my opinion on their question.
Oh, ok. I guess I got thrown off by "I feel like it's sort of the same as "You can apply if you have a 2.5 GPA". Just misunderstood what you meant by that. I'm sure it's something that varies from school to school, too.

i think it depends on what type of applicant you are. for trad students going HS-->college-->vet school, i think it is more important to have the degree (but certainly not all), whereas much less so for a non-trad coming from a career change

True, I forgot the "non-trad" part of the question. I was a non-trad, but I got my degree 3 years ago, so it was different for me. If you are a non-trad just starting your pre-reqs, I think it is more likely they will worry less about you having a bachelor's degree.

Oh, ok. I guess I got thrown off by "I feel like it's sort of the same as "You can apply if you have a 2.5 GPA". Just misunderstood what you meant by that. I'm sure it's something that varies from school to school, too.

Yeah when I read it again I realized it wasn't communicated very effectively lol. My bad. :D

Members don't see this ad :)

True, I forgot the "non-trad" part of the question. I was a non-trad, but I got my degree 3 years ago, so it was different for me. If you are a non-trad just starting your pre-reqs, I think it is more likely they will worry less about you having a bachelor's degree.
That's exactly why I specified in my reply that I was traditional. ;) There is most likely a big difference in how veterinary schools view traditional applicants without a degree and nontraditional applicants without a degree. We still don't know whether the user who started this topic is traditional or nontraditional, but I think it's great to offer advice for both types of applicants.

And thats exactly what I am! Lol. Thank you so much everyone for your information! Your insight is absolutely invaluable. As a 27 year old just finishing her first semester at community college, I know I have a LONG road ahead of me. That being said, I have had great success in my current career, and obtaining a degree wouldn't benefit me at all ( with the exception of giving me a leg up on applying to vet school.) I completley understand the mindset that for a traditional student, a degree can be important for many things: self discovery, responsibility, to become well rounded etc.- but in my case, all I keep thinking is, " Why the heck do I have to take Western Civ in order to become a veterinarian??":laugh: I feel like I've wasted so much time in my life already pursuing a career I don't feel passionate about. I don't want to waste time taking classes for a bachelor's degree I don't need. I hope this makes sense!!

Hearing both sides of the topic is exactly what I need. I appreciate everyone's honesty :)

Gotta say JJohnston, you're kinda my hero right now! :bow:
I can only hope that with dedication ( and focusing on taking upper level science classes ), I'll be posting a similar success story in a couple years!!!

You might also want to think about what might happen if you don't finish vet school, for any reason (don't enjoy it, can't afford it, change career path... whatever), or decide not to go. That would leave with without a bachelor's and DVM.

You might also want to think about what might happen if you don't finish vet school, for any reason (don't enjoy it, can't afford it, change career path... whatever), or decide not to go. That would leave with without a bachelor's and DVM.

I have had great success in my current career without a college education of any kind. In my field, it is a mute point. I appreciate your thoughts, and I agree that things may change. I would love to say, " I'm finishing vet school no matter what, and NOTHING is gonna stand in my way!!!" But, I'm a realist. If something devastating happened, I would have to reroute my plan. I'm prepared for that. If that was in fact that case, I would continue to progress in my current field. I'm a firm believer that the equation person+degree=success is not always accurate. As a self employed woman with no formal education, I'm walking talking proof that while some career choices require higher education ( hence: vet school! :laugh: ) some ( such as numismatics, the field I'm currently in ) do not.

Pretty much came to add this nugget and the fact that an extra year of undergrad to explore learning interests outside vet med (or party or whatever you feel like doing really) might be valuable to some people cost excluded.

Gotta say JJohnston, you're kinda my hero right now! :bow:
I can only hope that with dedication ( and focusing on taking upper level science classes ), I'll be posting a similar success story in a couple years!!!

Haha, thanks!! It was definitely a lot of work but totally worth it. And I was around your age; I applied when I was 27 and started vet school a week after turning 28. Please PM me if you have any questions or want advice. It's a hard road and definitely a littler better with support :)

Pretty much came to add this nugget and the fact that an extra year of undergrad to explore learning interests outside vet med (or party or whatever you feel like doing really) might be valuable to some people cost excluded.

I totally agree. If I was a teenager, the extra life experience would be invaluable. But, being a decade out of high school, I have a different point of view :)I have no desire to obtain a degree for any other reason than to enter veterinary school. If I was unable to become a veterinarian, I would not continue pursuing my Bachelor's.

Haha, thanks!! It was definitely a lot of work but totally worth it. And I was around your age; I applied when I was 27 and started vet school a week after turning 28. Please PM me if you have any questions or want advice. It's a hard road and definitely a littler better with support :)

Thank you SO much!

I did not complete my degree, and was accepted to every school I applied to.

The ones I applied to were "known" for accepting students without Bachelors, so it was somewhat calculated (even though they were the schools I wanted to apply to anyway).

:) Not as rare as you think, especially at Mizzou. Totally doable.

Another who got in with three years of undergrad and no degree...

I say, if you've got the pre-reqs done, apply. If you don't get in, great, try again next year and finish your degree in the meantime.

I did not complete my degree, and was accepted to every school I applied to.

The ones I applied to were "known" for accepting students without Bachelors, so it was somewhat calculated (even though they were the schools I wanted to apply to anyway).

:) Not as rare as you think, especially at Mizzou. Totally doable.

If you don't mind my asking, which schools are " known " for accepting students without a degree, hypothetically? Other than Mizzou of course :D

If you don't mind my asking, which schools are " known " for accepting students without a degree, hypothetically? Other than Mizzou of course :D

Wisconsin (but I was in state, this probably does not hold true for out of state applicants), Purdue, Mizzou

Don't bother with Davis (requires a BS), or Colorado (really wants you to have one).

Wisconsin (but I was in state, this probably does not hold true for out of state applicants), Purdue, Mizzou

Don't bother with Davis (requires a BS), or Colorado (really wants you to have one).

Thank you for being so helpful!

Just from my experience - UC Davis (obviously not anymore, still bitter about that), Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota. The ones that rejected me outright were Purdue, Colorado, and Penn.

If you get accepted to a vet school without a degree can you get graduate loan to pay for vet school tuition?

If you get accepted to a vet school without a degree can you get graduate loan to pay for vet school tuition?

Yes. You're still in graduate school, regardless of presence or lack of previous degrees. I've gotten the full amount of financial aid every year.

Also - you do have to have a Bachelor's degree to get your DVM, so if you're accepted without it the school will give you one after completion of two years of the program. I now have a Bachelor's of Veterinary Science, that I received this past June.

To add to this I'm a junior year applicant right now and I applied to Cornell, Penn, UF, VMRCVM, Iowa State, and Mississippi- I got interviews everywhere with interviews (ended up denying my interview at Mississippi) but then got rejected from Penn and Iowa State and am waitlisted at Cornell, UF and VMRCVM. At all of my interviews they questioned if I was graduating and I had to say I wasn't and I've talked to quite a few people that haven't had luck with applying junior year. Not to toot my horn but my stats/application was pretty good and now I'm stuck in limbo not being able to figure out what I'm doing next year. I can't sign a lease for an apartment because I don't know if I'll be coming back to my school, I can't really expect to hold more officer positions in clubs and I really don't even know what to do this summer because Cornell said if I need to reapply I need more vet hours. It's definitely stressful and I would think about if you really want to go a year early. For me I was thinking about money because I have to apply out of state everywhere but it's a difficult decision and a very expensive process (at least for me with interviews and travelling)

Also - you do have to have a Bachelor's degree to get your DVM, so if you're accepted without it the school will give you one after completion of two years of the program. I now have a Bachelor's of Veterinary Science, that I received this past June.

That might be true for Davis, but not everywhere else. I won't be receiving a Bachelor's from anybody.

*only read first post. sorry*

I think it varies greatly by school. When I was looking over stats last year, some schools claim that ~99% of those accepted have bachelors (I think Davis was one). Other schools claim as little as 25% have degrees (Louisiana).

In other words: It all depends! (but getting your degree can only be good for your prospects.)

That might be true for Davis, but not everywhere else. I won't be receiving a Bachelor's from anybody.

Agreed. As far as I know, I won't be getting a bachelor's degree before graduating.

I am a traditional student who had originally planned to do the 3+1 pre-vet program here at UT. I completed all of the pre-reqs and was accepted into the vet school after three years. However, because I was missing one animal science class needed for the 3+1, I didn't end up getting a bachelor's degree. If something happened to keep me from finishing vet school, I could easily go back and finish my bachelor's in a semester.

Agreed. As far as I know, I won't be getting a bachelor's degree before graduating.

Oh sorry!! I assumed it was a general rule that you couldn't get a DVM without a Bachelor's degree, but I guess that's a UC Davis policy. Sorry, didn't mean to spread misinformation :oops:

VMRCVM has a 3+1 program (or rather, VT has one that allows you to mostly complete a BS) however, from what I've heard, it's very difficult to do as an animal science person. If you're from the science dept (esp. bio) it's not too difficult.

funny the bachelors in school thing should come up, SGU apparently just signed a contract w/ a US school allowing pre-vet kids to get a bachelors. it's like a 3+4 program haha. idk any of the details about it and it really has nothing to do with the OP, but in case someone randomly stumbles upon this in the future, now it's out there haha

I'm stuck in limbo not being able to figure out what I'm doing next year. I can't sign a lease for an apartment because I don't know if I'll be coming back to my school, I can't really expect to hold more officer positions in clubs and I really don't even know what to do this summer because Cornell said if I need to reapply I need more vet hours. It's definitely stressful and I would think about if you really want to go a year early. For me I was thinking about money because I have to apply out of state everywhere but it's a difficult decision and a very expensive process (at least for me with interviews and travelling)
I'm in a similar situation right now....sort of. :/ I'm an alternate for Mississippi. Hopefully we will find something out next week. It's stressful, but you have a much better chance than I do being since you are waitlisted at so many places. ;) You're also in a better position than me since you know for sure you aren't graduating this year. I am graduating if accepted, but double-majoring with a minor instead if not. Graduation is a month away, and everything is one big mess. I can't send out graduation announcements to friends and family, and I can't start looking for housing even though my lease is up in a month.

Even though I can get my degree this year, I still think being a third year put me at a slight disadvantage. There are several classes the typical graduating pre-vet student at my university has taken that I have not been able to fit into my schedule. I haven't had a chance to take very many courses above the minimum requirements for veterinary school.

Last edited:
The biggest reasons to follow through and get the degree are (in my opinion) to have something to fall back on if you can't complete vet school and for the sake of finishing something you started/pay a lot of money for. I completed my degree but a lot of classmates have not. In your case, it seems to be a moot point. It might be something to incorporate into a PS if you talk about being a non-trad.

Just as a slight tangent, UMN awards you a B.S. degree after your first year of vet school, so long as you don't already have a bachelor degree. (Do other schools do that? I'm presuming so, if we do?)

So even if you're worried about not completing vet school and not having a degree, so long as you finish the first year you'd have a bachelor degree, at least.
Here, anyway.

Just as a slight tangent, UMN awards you a B.S. degree after your first year of vet school, so long as you don't already have a bachelor degree. (Do other schools do that? I'm presuming so, if we do?)

So even if you're worried about not completing vet school and not having a degree, so long as you finish the first year you'd have a bachelor degree, at least.
Here, anyway.
That's cool. I don't know anyone at Penn who hasn't completed a Bachelors.
I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Here, anyway.
Oklahoma State does this, too.

I know a few classmates that went to undergrad here (VT) or UVA and got into the veterinary program after their 3rd year, so it's totally doable. I didn't know I wanted to go to vet school back when I finished my bachelor's, but looking back I really value my upper-level courses from my 4th year and the extra year I had was also extra time for me to spend in a research lab.

I am in a very similar situation as you. I am finishing my last semester at community college in the fall and I will be transferring to Rutgers to finnish my pre-reqs (only Orgo, Physiology, statistics and biochem, everything else is done.) And I would like to try and apply after one year in Rutgers... Which schools did you apply to and were you "in state" I am from california and would love to apply to Davis but afraid of my odds bc I am currently a NJ resident. Also what were your GRE scores?

Thanks for the info!

Just a quick note: I made it into Murdoch University without a bachelors degree but I have about 120credits or more; GPA 3.897. This was also my first time applying!! :) I don't think anything is impossible if you put your mind to it!!