Bachelors in Community health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdkNEthing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what I can do with a bachelors in community health and a minor in management? Would it be difficult to find a career or a good paying job with these degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Bachelor's in Community Health. I found a job 3 months after I graduated, in my field. I recently left and am now am working in social services. Pay is okay, but it's pretty much what I expect working in non-profit......

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your position after graduating? What'd you do? If you don't mind me asking.

I was a program coordinator at a larger non profit....It was actually not a bad gig....I learned alot but it wasn't really wanted to do long term..and another opportunity came my way with a smaller agency...and I do employment services with folks with disabilities...It's been almost 18 months since I graduated and I applied to Public Health school...I start my masters program in the fall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no degree is worthless, there will be jobs out there for your when you graduate. I think pay won't be great regardless seeing how the economy is right now.....

I was actually thinking of taking the same route, and get a masters in public health after, thanks for the info, that really helped me out

I was a program coordinator at a larger non profit....It was actually not a bad gig....I learned alot but it wasn't really wanted to do long term..and another opportunity came my way with a smaller agency...and I do employment services with folks with disabilities...It's been almost 18 months since I graduated and I applied to Public Health school...I start my masters program in the fall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no degree is worthless, there will be jobs out there for your when you graduate. I think pay won't be great regardless seeing how the economy is right now.....

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get your position? I thought most public health jobs require a master's degree minimum.

I was offered a full-time position as prevention assistant for a local substance abuse agency, having only a BA in Psych and Sociology. This covers three counties, and I would be fourth in command within the department. Not bad for an -almost- college graduate. Degrees are important. Networking is even better. But I do think a Master's is helpful for moving up the ladder, especially with more college graduates than ever before.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I did an internship with the agency first. It was about two months in, and the director approached me about the job. I declined the offer, but she is still a very helpful resource.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get your position? I thought most public health jobs require a master's degree minimum.

Yes most do! I really had to work for this position out of college, and it lead to my current position. And yes, the jobs I really want in public health do require a masters at minimum, which is why I am going for it now. But to the original poster's question, I don't think getting a bachelor's in community health is a waste, there are jobs out there, but be realistic about it.....