back to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone
I need some in put from people with same situation. I have been out of school for about 5 years. I graduated with a degree in medical lab technology. and I have been working at local hospital since then. I work in the flow cytometry and diagnostic molecular biology department. I do a lot research work with many MD but recently I have been working with a DO. I got more interested with DO philosophy and method of treatment and now I am very interested in applying to DO schools I have a GPA of 3.5 I have not taken the mcat yet. do you think I have a good chance in getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

A solid GPA of 3.5 puts you in a position to get into a good number of medical schools.

Of course, this is assuming that the 3.5 is from solid science courses as well, but since you have degree in med tech, I don't doubt that you have the experience.

I would contact your undergraduate institution (or graduate school) and speak to the premedical advisor there. I am sure they will be able to provide information for you about the process.

If you can prepare for the August MCAT, and have everything else in place, you may be able to have applications ready for the 2002 class (meaning you would apply this term, but later in the process).

Osteopathic schools also look into your life experience and patient care experience. They want to a see an overall sense of the medical field, from a number of perspectives, and that you are aware of the physicians' role.

They also want you to know about Osteopathic medicine. You said you have worked with a D.O. and agree with the philosophy, and I think that is a first step in deciding to pursue the Osteopathic route.

There are a number of great books out the for you to check out...Norman Gevitz wrote a book entitled "The DO's. Osteopathic Medicine in America". Great book..$15.00 or so. It highlights the development of Osteopathic medicine from A.T. Still up through today (well, a few years ago).

I would also suggest going to: http://www.aacom.org

Here, you will find information on all of the Osteopathic medical schools. Also, there is information about applying.

I hope this has been of some help to you. I wish you luck with this pursuit and I truly hope you decide to follow through with the Osteopathic decision.

I, myself, will be applying this year and look forward to a spot in a 2002 class. Who knows...maybe I will see you around!!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

Good luck! I had been out of school for 10 years when I started med school. It was kinda funny being back, but you can do it!

Billie, MS-III

ji there,

I, too, was out of school for nearly 10 years before returning to pursue the health sciences. I found that I was a much better student, as well as being more involved on my undergraduate campus. And, I did not find that schools (well, at least DO schools) were bothered by the fact that I was a little older than the average bear. Experience really counts for something in the application and interview process.

Good luck!

electra