backup specialty in addition to radonc in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When applying to RadOnc, is it common to apply to a backup specialty?
With RadOnc being so competitive, it seems that this would be a good idea.

Will it hurt your application to RadOnc or to the other specialty?

After doing a search, I read that as long as you don't apply to the same locations in both specialties, you should be fine. Is it true with RadOnc as well? Because everyone applies so broadly, it seems that this would really limit your choices with a secondary specialty.

Any options on this?

Note: I shadowed a RadOnc and LOVED IT, but to be honest I can't stand the thought of not matching.

Members don't see this ad.

When applying to RadOnc, is it common to apply to a backup specialty?

According to the official NRMP report (http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf), the mean number of distinct specialties ranked per matched applicant last year was 1.6. So, around 60% of the applicants who matched into radiation oncology ranked another speciality as well. This seems high. I think it also includes people who bottomed out their rank list with a preliminary year match only, with hopes of securing a rad onc residency later.

Will it hurt your application to RadOnc or to the other specialty?
After doing a search, I read that as long as you don't apply to the same locations in both specialties, you should be fine.

I don't even think it would be a problem per se if you applied in the same location for both specialities. I can't really imagine residency directors from different specialties meeting together to discuss any residents they might have in common. Any other thoughts on this? You can certainly rank two programs in different specialties from from the same instiuttion separately on your match list.

The only sticky situation might arise if you are asked point blank during your interviews: "Are you applying for another specialty?" I never had that question posed to me. Several people asked, however, "What would you do if you couldn't do Rad Onc?" for which, it seems, you will have a bona fide answer.